free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - A Sense of Betrayal by Greg Lake

A Sense of Betrayal by Greg Lake

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

A Sense of Betrayal by Greg Lake

Postby Indyrod on Thu May 09, 2013 3:09 pm

"A sense of betrayal": Greg Lake says ELP, King Crimson shouldn’t have gone on with new members".

What do you think? Should KC have ended after Mr. Lake and others departed from the original lineup?

I respectfully disagree, the music that came out of the different eras proves that.

read it here
http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/04 ... w-members/
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Re: A Sense of Betrayal by Greg Lake

Postby Indyrod on Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 pm

here is the article text...

Even Emerson Lake and Palmer, whose name would seemingly ensure that they wouldn’t become another in the progressive rock genre’s endlessly interchangeable bands, endured a memorable roster shift. Greg Lake says he still regrets it.

“When the public make a band like ELP successful,” Lake tells Thom Jennings of BackstageAxxess in the attached video, “that is who they make successful. They anoint the band by buying their records. … They made ELP what it was. And I think there is a sense of betrayal if you change that which the public has ordained, in a way. You’re not entitled just to change it without permission.”

In the mid-1980s, while founding member Carl Palmer was occupied with Asia, Lake and Keith Emerson did what fellow proggers like Yes — a group that’s featured nearly 20 regular working members — had already made utterly common place: They recruited Cozy Powell, a celebrated drummer whose last name just happened to complete their familiar ELP monicker — and then issued “Touch and Go,” a hit that remains part of Lake’s solo shows.

Still, Lake says the particular recipe that made the original ELP a success was lost, and it sold him on the idea that he’d never try to go forward again with an altered line up.

“Even as good as he was, the chemistry was different,” Lake says. “It wasn’t the original ELP; it was a different band, and really it should have been called a different name. It wasn’t the same chemistry, and I’m a great believer in chemistry with bands."

Dating back to Lake’s time as a co-founding member of King Crimson at the turn of the 1970s, he was sensitive to the idea that changing members might leave fans feeling cheated. His departure from the group followed that of Ian McDonald and Michael Giles, both key early contributors. Lake says he felt like what they had established with King Crimson had been altered forever.

“I just didn’t feel comfortable,” Lake says, “with continuing on with the name and pretending that nothing had happened. They were fundamental to the chemistry. Ian McDonald wrote a lot of the material, for example. I believe a band is a chemistry of human emotion — and, when the chemistry changes, really the whole thing changes”

Powell, who died in a 1998 car crash, also played drums for Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck, Whitesnake and Rainbow, among others.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby jtmack on Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Lake says he felt like what they had established with King Crimson had been altered forever.

And it was! Because of the constantly changing line up KC had much more growth than a stagnant line up would have.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 am

jtmack wrote:And it was! Because of the constantly changing line up KC had much more growth than a stagnant line up would have.

Sure! And ELP have to rely just on old 'hits' (?) to build a setlist for their concerts. Remember, "Touch and Go" is from 1986...
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby rickphilpott on Sun May 12, 2013 10:29 pm

i spend little time worrying about facts and make my assumtions based on gut feelings, i figger lake quit to make more money elsewhere, itcotck is my least favorite album do to it's commercial potential, yet it is miles above anything done by elp, when i saw the flying piano i knew it was the end of any connection between me and them, i recall thinking they were :wank: , the fact that Bruford went the other direction will always endear him other then the fact that he is one of the 2 best drummer boys evah
<=> )|(
rickphilpott
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Krimzep on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:51 am

I wonder if he feels betrayed by Carl who is touring with his ELP Legacy Tour?
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Main Guestbook