free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Larks' Tongues, THE BOX

Larks' Tongues, THE BOX

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Larks' Tongues, THE BOX

Postby TomVos on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:29 am

Well, due to the help, Ive got my hands on the box, thanks to some friends in the east who'll go unnamed, and sadly I was just provided - so far with the full artwork and packaging of the 2 disc regular box. Anywas- damn! Hot damn!

Let's begin with the Zoom Club first show - first impression is: I can hear Jamie much better now although these are sonic differences that'll go unnoticed to the untrained. I'm enjoying 'Zoom' right now, and man, they got it funky right from the beginning, eh? The band grooves and gels as if this wasn't their first, but rather, as if they've been playing for YEARS, BUT - they've decided to play it safe. The level of telepathy is amazing- and as uncontrollable Jamie seems to be, he just fills the sonic landscape with sheer delight. (note - many have complained that he's mostly only heard in the quiet parts; I've actually noticed he spends most of the time just playing drums. Hint: that china cymbal and snare drum sonic differences - out of a million other things, of course) Peachy. You can even play it in your car. Fripp hits the notes slowly , or in between, or lightning speed- jedi fast. At points it sounds like he's tapping, but we all know he doesn't do that, hm? 'Book of Saturday' with drums and extra lyrics, fragments of 'Lament' and the 'Fallen Angel' improv... You DO get the impression that, as long as 'Zoom Zoom' is, that they're playing it safe in this concert. Hints of the Earthbound band abound - rhyme not intended - as many things sound mostly like jams rather than the classic Crimso blows; in its 44 minutes, if I may mention it again, I get the impression it's just an old river prog band jamming (no offense, but...) HOWEVER, when things get to the calm, paranoid Z'Zoom preceding Exiles, you do realize there's much wasted potential there. I've got a theory: Jamie's gear didn't fit entirely in this venue, and Fripp decided to make of this hot date just a calling card, and I may be wrong one either one or both accounts since by the the grand finale 'Talking drum -> LTIA Pt. II' is somewhat of an earth shattering experience, and Jamie CAN be heard on his percussion. Other shades of the Islands era are obvious in the brief, to quote an ET member, 'pastoral' 'Easy Money', which (gasp) reminds me of 'Ladies Of The Road'. Ok I'll stop.
A conundrum. A meek band performance when they have togetherness in spades. Can't blame Jamie. Hear the last two songs! Plus, as sonically 'very slightly improved' it is, I've never found this concert to be bad sounding. Not for an audience recording. But I can't help it and will give this one **1/2.

More to come, and your reviews would be appreciated too!
TomVos
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Re: Larks' Tongues, THE BOX

Postby TomVos on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:46 am

Since I'm all alone here talking to no one but myself *sob*, I grieve, but I'll continue my anachronic reviewing and rating tomus to give mine only 'definitive in its subjectiveness' ratings and an expository discourse, for as one has said once, mighty oaks from little acorns grown and acknowledgement towards these will pass through as I bask in the glory of....sumptin. Clickety click, dingly ding.
The latter can't be said too much about Guildford, that apparently, has retained much of its distorted quality, despite being a mono sbd tape. Incompleteness makes Willie here much, much frustrated, but tis the nature of it. Let's be glad. But I'll be damned if Jamie's even lesser audible here save for a tinkling bell or a clickety click, and a dingly ding that reminds us that he's THERE, anyways. The bicycle horns are distant in LTIA I, the improv BEGS for his intervention which once again, becomes a lot more tangible, if such a word can be used, about the time it's quieting down to make way for an incomplete 'Exiles'. Why are the audience boots much better at Jamieizing things? Ah well. Strangely enough, this is a show's fragment whose apparently exciting parts just pass by unnoticed. It just doesn't move me, dude. A fragment of a later improv does nothing to help either. And the4 double drum action is much less emphasized here. I appreciate feedback to prove me wrong *hint hint* but guildford will get a disappointing **
TomVos
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Indyrod on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:35 pm

you aren't alone my friend, your comments and review is being read with great anticipation, especially since Burning Shed isn't shipping mine for another couple of weeks. still can't figure out how you got this SPECIAL preview. :shock:

ha, just noticed, this is post 5000. now that should show just how important I find every word you post. :wink:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 pm

From yours truly:

A full review to follow.

Full playlist of my Prog Review series here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4062EF84471B185A
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:16 am

I guess if you snooze you lose! You guys convinced me to buy it, now I'll just have to wait for someone to down size their collection to pick up a copy. :D
Jamie way up in the mix sounds interesting... Thanks again for your input TomVos.

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic - Limited Edition Boxed Set
Features every known recorded note by the quintet line-up, both live and in the studio.
Sold Out
$120.00
SKU: KCCBX5
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Geno on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 pm

jtmack wrote:You guys convinced me to buy it, now I'll just have to wait for someone to down size their collection to pick up a copy.

It's only sold out at DGM - they've still got some at Burning Shed.

I've also been enjoying those comments, TV. I quite like Guildford overall (it's got more of that live-with-an-audience spark than the also-great Beat Club performance), although that's also based on the whole band's performance. I'd probably notch it down it a little (as you do) if I were to judge it specifically on the Jamie factor.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby TomVos on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Call me Willie, dudes, I just used a name of a novel character of mine. I'm just an SA dude and certainly wouldn't have the surname of 'Fox' spelt in Dutch even if I was called Tom. (Willie is a nick affectionately given to me by a Texan. My...)
Well, cd three - Beat Club. This time I'll be as brief as a fart:
Watch the video and you'll appreciate it much more when seeing who's doing what and why (It's amazingly, Bill who's doing more of the tom rolling and Jamie holding the fort if I may give a single hint - when Jamie's not doing his bircall/emptying a bag of dried leaves on the floor/gong-and-metal sheet smashing/"what the hell is a coffee pot and a balloon doing in his gear?"/whateverness).
I like it that a) they're not holding it back anymore but b) are still awfully pedestrian ("haven't you heard of Miles Davis '70's improvs you knave?") and it's cool that 'Exiles' features Jamie blowing a coupla notes on a trombone but c'mon. The 'Mantra'ed version of this song is very nice, but you can't shake the feeling the song is rather meek than majestic. It's like fuckin' Chris Squire whipping out that harmonica and doing that retarded imitation of Bob Dylan on 'And You And I' and ruining the regal mood of the song. I appear to have lost my point. 'Larks' I' is great in its unfinished form, however, and rules.
The sound is a mite less hissy but that's it. No real improved dynamics because there needn't be any improvement (when in doubt, go flat).

Next: Motherfuckin' HULL!!!
TomVos
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby jtmack on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 pm

I think of Jamie's bird whistles with his eye brows moving like the wings of a bird in flight, good in the moment stuff from The Beat Club. Would love to see more video of Jamie :D . I did see the Larks' Tongues In Aspic tour when I was in High school by the time they made it to the states Jamie was out of the mix. How's the new mix of the studio album by Wilson?
Geno, thanks for the link I don't think I can wait.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:23 am

TomVos wrote: I'm just an SA dude

Am I right to assume you mean San Antonio? only reason I ask, is my Son lives there. oh, and yet another very entertaining review. keep it up... :D

Indyrod

Postby Indyrod on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:27 am

Indyrod wrote:
TomVos wrote: I'm just an SA dude

Am I right to assume you mean San Antonio? only reason I ask, is my Son lives there. oh, and yet another very entertaining review. keep it up... :D

never mind, I looked at your IP, and you are definitely not in San Antonio... :oops:

Indyrod

Next

Return to Reviews