free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC 24 - Live in Guildford 1972

KCCC 24 - Live in Guildford 1972

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

KCCC 24 - Live in Guildford 1972

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:15 pm

Your thoughts about this album to be posted here - so feel free to talk about your first listen, what you like about this album, what you don't like, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Sebastian Knight on Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:50 pm

There isn't very much material here, but what's here is great. One of the best Larks I recordings on record, a first-rate improv, and the world needs more Jamie Muir recordings anyway. Not a lot of minutes, not a lot of songs, but Larks I played like a demon and a 25-minute killer improv are worth $15 to me.
Sebastian Knight

Postby Indyrod on Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:04 pm

Read about it from the link below, then reply here.

http://www.projekction.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1226
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby MiKcrobe on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:59 pm

I just received this yesterday. I wasn't sure whether to fork out for another recording of this line-up being that it's short and the set-list is the basically the same as Bremen. I'm glad I finally went for it. The sound quality is arguably the best of the three Muir-era recordings. A little distortion is present, but the sound field is not nearly as muddy as the others. The performances are a bit more refined and exuberant, as would be expected since by this time they've had several gigs under their belt as a unit.

Larks I is simply on fire. Fierce and forceful. They mean it. There is no messing around--no pussyfooting. And the quieter moments are handled with precision and delicacy that presages what the studio version would come to sound like. Book of Saturday, too, begins to sound more like what it evolved into by the time of the studio album. The improv can also be said to be the best on any of three Muir-era recordings--less free-form and more of the uncanny unity of the band seeming to compose on the fly as we are used to hearing on the '73-'74 recordings. Each member of the band seems to feel more at ease to express himself, yet at the same time, they are beginning to really connect with one another and pick up cues. And Fripp basically gives a clinic in wallpaper shredding (note the echoes of the solo from The Sailor's Tale).

Even the unfortunately truncated Exiles offers glimpses of its final form, but with enough differences of tone and color that set it apart from other renditions of this number. (The curious pasting on of a snippet from some other improv (I can't figure out if it's part of All That Glitters or something else entirely) is very strange. If it was on the source tape, why wasn't it removed or at least separated by a track break. If not, what the hell happened in the editing room? Doesn't anyone "proof-listen" these things before they're mastered?)

Fripp's promise of closing the show with Larks II is a bit of a tease. It's a pity that number wasn't on the source recording; you just know it was a monster. I hope we'll eventually get the opportunity to hear more improvs from this time period. There could be some fascinating stuff that we still haven't heard yet.

Overall, I would rate the three Muir-era discs as follows (1=best):
Guildford:
Sound quality: 1
Performance: 1
Playlist: 2

Zoom Club:
Sound quality: 3
Performance: 2
Playlist: 1

Bremen:
Sound quality: 2
Performance: 3
Playlist: 3

It looks like I'm trashing the Bremen disc, but that's just how it works out. For anyone who has seen the clip of Larks I from the TV show, it's nice to have a copy of the audio track. Bremen is an important performance, but if you just want one concert from the Muir era, the fact is, it becomes redundant. Guildford offers quality (in both sound and performance), while Zoom Club offers quantity.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Guest on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:41 pm

Guildfors is the best what KCCC can offer with Jammie. First of all this is the best quality show with Muir. Quality is very important listening 5 KC musicians especially when they improvising. From the other hand music is better than on the previous release (zoom, bremen). Lark's Tongues In Aspic is more refined, Improv. is more powerful. But it's a pity that is to short :(

Re: KCCC 24 - Live in Guildford 1972

Postby Whiskey Vengeance on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:39 am

I can't believe how long this thing has been out of stock over at DGM. If anybody has a spare copy, I'll gladly take it off your hands.
Whiskey Vengeance
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Return to KCCC