free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - TU news talk and stuff

TU news talk and stuff

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

TU news talk and stuff

Postby jtmack on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:05 am

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Seattle gig from TG
Current mood: devious
Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities

Yes, we played at Soberstock in Seattle on Saturday.
Yes, we had fun -- no matter how exciting any technical suprises tried to take us out.
Yes, we played Frankenstein.
Yes, we played Schizoid Man -- the whole thing.
Yes, Christopher Walken sat in with us on Schizoid Man.
Yes, we played part of Starless.
Yes, we did a photo shoot with Mark Colman (Kram).
Yes, we saw Adrian Belew's Power Trio play Neurotica.

New videos up on the myspace site from the Quodia project.
Coming soon Quodia video podcast link through iTunes.

This is what those lucky people in Seattle might get to see/hear.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby jtmack on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:52 pm

I hate to do this but at Planet drab there's some great pictures of the Beast in action with Trey Gunn.
He who has no name wrote: TU played on stage with Tool on Lateralis
8)
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby jtmack on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:14 pm

Wed 5 Dec – Tool

Trans Am was so so...

Two(Tony Levin and Pat Mastelotto from King Crimson) were great. Purely instrumental with the exception of having included a crazy bunch of sound clips in the background, such as chicken clucking and people mumbling, things appropriate for maybe any member of King Crimson.

If you've ever been to one of their shows, anything that could be said about Tool is obvious and is pointless to explain. With the exception of Maynard's crude, but accurate opening, "Hello drunk bastards of Portland.".
Near the end of the show during the song Lateralus, Two joins Tool in playing impromptu improv session, with Pat M. on two floor toms and a bongo drum, and Tony L. still on bass. The session went on for about 8 minutes before Two had left the stage, with the focus on Danny Carey and Pat M. bouncing rhythms back and forth between one another.
http://www.last.fm/user/Red_Sparowe/journal/2007/12/9/593731/

Remember this is a TOOL review, funny how all he talks about is TU.
Yeah I know he didn't know who the Gunn man was.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:52 pm

Interesting to see that P@ has dumped TG for TL... :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:28 am

TU with TOOL 3 - Seattle
Category: Music

December 4, 2007 – Everett, WA - Everett Events Center

Pat and I played with TOOL tonight. It was a, very nearly, spontaneous outing as Adam had asked Pat only just three weeks ago and we hadn't been able to get back in touch with them until three or four days ago.. Pat was out with The Flower Kings in Europe and I have been hibernating in with my latest CD. So at the last minute we sorted out which shows we could make it to and Pat flew up here (Seattle) on the 2nd.

Since we had just been in Poland performing, TU was fairly well oiled up and ready to go. TOOL only needed a 20 minute set from us and the tough part was figuring out what to not play. We wanted a good solid 20 minutes with some breadth in it that would give a strong impression to an audience who wasn't there to see us. AND didn't even know we were going to be playing.
That meant:
B-Boom intro with 20th Century Dreaming outro
Absinthe (TU version – only one solo)
Leave my Schizoid Alone, Starboy
Untamed Chicken
But even this short list would only work if we hustled through the material and didn't flesh out the sections too much. Something that is an extra challenge and quite hard to maintain in a improvising performance – especially of this scale (13,000 people). However, Pat and I are very grateful to be asked to this stage, so our conscientiousness shall expand to meet the challenge.

Backstage is always full of excitement at this scale and today delivered, Image And I can see why
What were the boys up to in the USSR anyway, sorry back to the blog! as well. There were no dressing rooms for TU or for the main opening act (Trans Am.) Pat and I happily setup shop in the hallway and began getting our gear ready for the stage. But that didn't last long, as Adam quickly found us and donated half of his dressing room to the TU cause.

Tool finished up their sound check and we took to the stage. Maynard jumped up to say hello and told me about his Puscifer plans. He explained how the track that I played on, "Lighten Up, Francis" was going to be used on a later vinyl and single release – it didn't make it to the CD for reasons that were obvious to me upon hearing it later. I liked his idea, a lot. He wants to do a series of special Puscifer performances, for example four nights in San Francisco, and have different guests every night in the band. This way each night is a special event and the versions of the pieces of done different with different players. He said it would be a ways off – like way down the road – and wanted me involved.

- - - - - -

Our sound check nudged right up to doors opening, which meant we were on quite soon. I really like that once we get our sounds together, it is practically time to go on.

The lights went down and on we went. Pat began crunching with samples and I began high whistling notes. The mix was crazy out of balance at first. Fortunately Pat and I talk A LOT to each other during our performances, so we sorted out what we could in our own mixes and took off.

It's funny how our first piece really wants to be about 10 minutes long, which makes it hard to truncate or even to move along quickly. But we did and belted into Absinthe. It was hard for me to hear the bass end of the Warr Guitar, but I plowed ahead anyway. Pat had borrowed a drum kit from Bill Rieflin and was afraid that he might knock over some of the cymbal stands as they aren't as hefty as his own. This meant that it was going to be my job to upright anything that fell over during the show. Sadly, that never happened, as I enjoy any non-musical activity on stage.

We had some fun unbridled-ness in my solo in Absinthe and then closed it off and broke into Schizoid Man. This one was a bit scary as we hadn't had any time to rehearse it since our last gig in Poland two months ago. But we did fine. It was interesting that during the "tricky bits" section I was hoping for a bit more space between the fast figures. Just an extra beat or so. Perhaps we could try that tomorrow night?

We got our five minute warning just before we hit the Starless section, which was a bit of a downer as it meant that we wouldn't be able to play Untamed Chicken. I really enjoyed sliding into this section tonight. We, both, hit the final Schizoid chromatic climb of three notes over and over and over again as we slow down. Then Pat starts to peel away rhythmically as I keep slowing down and fade in some high sustain tones. Once the rhythm is completely torn apart from the Schizoid figure then I slip into the Starless figure. Sometimes I add extra space between the notes before Pat locks into the groove and it is still quite fractured. Something about playing this bass line in a room this huge seems to grind out something from the audience – you can hear everyone (OK, most everyone) listening along to hear what will happen. It's quite blissful and some might liken it to fucking the whole room.

We sealed up the last note and dove off the stage, as Trans Am were up in 5 minutes.

- - - - - -

It is a funny kind of performance where we finish off this precarious part of the show, then sit around for another two and half hours only to jump onstage with TOOL for another precarious moment – Lateralus.

I spent most of the first half of their show with the audience in the hall. The show was much stronger, both visually and musically, than when we played with them earlier in the year. The whole show was bigger, sounded better, more cohesive and… well... just more. The visual elements were much stronger and much more varied. The colors of the lights and projections were much richer and there seemed to be colors that I hadn't seen before. Fuscia's and green's and light blue's and grey's came out from everywhere wrapping around the band and holding the show together.

Around the "intermission", in which the band stays on stage, I went backstage to get ready. Lateralus began and I moved to the right of the stage and awaited my call. Then once Justin hit the middle riff, both Pat and I jumped up. I acknowledged the four guys and by the time I was hooked up and ready to go, Pat and Danny were in a fierce drum-off . They began trading bars and splintering the beat to pieces.
After a while I slipped underneath their sound and began climbing into a solo. Adam and I had quickly discussed, backstage, a similar strategy to our last show together and after my solo peaked he joined me with long sustain notes. It is such a cool sound two long guitar tones moving around each other while the rhythm section grooves. Eventually we peeled away into silence and then built up a groove with the drummers and Justin.
Once this climaxed out Maynard held up two large numerals toward Pat as if he was judging a beauty contest or an ice skating event. Pat got a 98, but when Maynard gave me an 89 I pouted. So he switched the number and I, TOO, got a 98!

On to Portland for tomorrow.

What happened they go from signing a hot babe's body to this?
Which way to the Castro district? Boys boys boy.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: TU news talk and stuff

Postby jtmack on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:48 am

And Trey thought Robert was hard to work with!
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby warrplayer on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Is TU basically dead? Who thinks they ought to just concentrate on KTU?
Mirror People with guests Pat Mastelotto and Gavin Harrison. Listen to the entire new CD for free at http://www.myspace.com/mirrorpeopleband
warrplayer
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby jtmack on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:01 pm

warrplayer wrote:Is TU basically dead? Who thinks they ought to just concentrate on KTU?
I love anything Trey, Pat or Kimmo do. People in the states have a better chance of see seeing TU than KTU. I think TU just played the north west? KTU is playing East Europe Finland, Russia this summer I love them but that love has monetary limits. It's Trey who's not playing as many live gigs (is he teaching school now?). Of course KTU is a giant hairy beast attacking that's electrifying to see.
Anyway I Liked what I heard on your My Space "warrplayer" keep it up, if you every do a gig in the So Cal area I would love to see it, so keep this place posted.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Alumni