free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - King Crimson - Park West - August 6-8 2008

King Crimson - Park West - August 6-8 2008

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

King Crimson - Park West - August 6-8 2008

Postby Dog_none on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:03 pm

I'm not up to writing a full review right now, but I will say that the band is in fine form and show was completely killer.

Sure, the setlist is a little disappointing but I'm not going to dwell on that. The double drums breath enough new life into most of the pieces to make them seem fresh. The double drumming in general is incredible and, as others have been saying at other places, is worth the price of admissions.

The whole band seeded to be highly energized and having a great time on the stage. Pat in particular seemed to be enjoying himself more than even me, which is saying something. Even the old grouch was grinning through most of the set, and even actually lost his cool and busted out laughing at one point (I think it was during Red, when at one point in the middle a couple of members came in a beat too soon).

All in all the Crim is back and if this is a farewell tour, it will be an incredible shame, but they will be going out on a high note.

More to come. Stay tuned.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Re: King Crimson - Park West - August 6-8 2008

Postby jtmack on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks Dog, sounds like they are getting it together more and more each show.... I hope it isn't their farewell tour it seems there is still some unfinished work to be done work to be done.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby tjat on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:45 am

Just came back from the 8/7 show. I agree with everything dognone said. It was a great show and the double drums are wonderful. Here's a setlist from what I remember. I believe they played one other song from "the power to believe" which I've forgotten. This is a close as I can remember it, but looking for corrections from anyone at the show. What a suprise to get Red and LTA2 so close to the beginning of the set.

FYI...If anyone is going to a future show I would not sit too far stage right. Fripp sits in front of his console and you probably won't be able to see him play too clearly. I sat stage left and had a great view. I was a little suprised where it was set up since it would block peoples view of him.

Drums Duo
ConstruKction Of Light
Red
Frame By Frame
Neurotica
Three of a Perfect Pair
The Talking Drum
Larks’ Tongues In Aspic II
One Time
Dinosaur
B’boom
Level Five
Sleepless
VROOOM/Coda: Marine 475
Encores:
Drum Duo
Thela Hun Ginjeet
Elephant Talk
Indiscipline
tjat
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Dog_none on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:20 am

I thought tonight was better than last. The band seemed to gel much better in certain places and the mix was better. Of course it could be a function of where I was sitting and the fact that I wasn't coming off a day of travelling.

Sleepless almost gave me a Seizure.

tjat - I think you got the setlist, which was exactly the same as last night (different order). I'm positive there wasn't anything else from TPTB.
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby evktalo on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:10 am

Thank you so much guys for the reviews and setlist. It's really appreciated. I think I'll have to figure out a way to purchase a download, once they become available. The comparison I read somewhere of this double drumming team to the interlocking guitars is a working selling speech for me. I get the impression Pat & Gavin > Bill & Pat as a duo.. maybe just me being hopeful. I don't enjoy double trio as much as many other KC configs, but on paper double drumming is always an intriguing concept, so hopefully this band will please my ears. Also, it seems like - aside from some (many?) disgruntled fans - that Fripp's hiding strategy is really working this time. And hey, he's the band's backing musician in any case.. all that said, I'm getting somewhat optimistic about the future of this band. Hoping for more live work and new material..

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby Dog_none on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Yeah, the double drumming here seems to work better than it did in the double trio. Pat & Gavin have amazing chemistry, and they have a lot more space to work with than Pat & Bill had. The interlocking analogy is apt, although it's more than that. I'm hesitant to make a Bruford/Muir comparison, but there are plenty of areas where Gavin takes the driver seat and lets Pat do the crazy percussionist thing.

It's kind of funny, I was debating with someone in my group last night as to whether Pat's & Gavin's playing the TCOL groove a 16th note off from each other was intentional or not. We concluded that it was probably not intentional, but it actually sounded kind of cool.

Regarding the disgruntled fans, they are idiots. Sure it would be nice if Fripp stepped out of the shadows and took in some of the applause, but getting one's panties in a bunch about something like that is a complete waste of energy. By now everyone should know that's what you get when you see Robert Fripp. Crimson would have no trouble selling out these venues if these people decided to stay home.

I'm really hoping that this is not the end.
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Smitty on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:40 pm

tjat wrote:
Drums Duo
ConstruKction Of Light
Red
Frame By Frame
Neurotica
Three of a Perfect Pair
The Talking Drum
Larks’ Tongues In Aspic II
One Time
Dinosaur
B’boom
Level Five
Sleepless
VROOOM/Coda: Marine 475
Encores:
Drum Duo
Thela Hun Ginjeet
Elephant Talk
Indiscipline

What?!? No Formentera Lady? Outrageous!
Smitty
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby tjat on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Just a correction to the setlist I put up last night. They played B'boom after One Time, Not after Dinosaur.
tjat
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby jtmack on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:02 am

tjat wrote:Just a correction to the setlist I put up last night. They played B'boom after One Time, Not after Dinosaur.

Tjat, thank you for posting your review/set list and welcome to ProjeKction!
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby jtmack on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:30 pm

I hope Fripp doesn't read this review written by a credent hack, I dare he compare the Rolling Stones to Crimson,. What a know nothing tin eared maggot. By the way there is a place to comment on his page. :mrgreen:
clueless heathen wrote:They know that their audience of nerd-mullets and old hippies want to hear the hits :shock: :lol:

The TOC Blog TOC RSS Feed

The TOC Blog
Music
Live review: King Crimson at Park West

#
Live review: King Crimson at Park West
Posted in Music by Antonia Simigis on August 8th, 2008

I would have loved to have seen King Crimson in 1969, back when its members were rebellious anti-hippies who took pleasure in freaking out flower children on acid trips with red flood lights and emanated a dark, chaotic synergy that would soon be known as prog rock. I wish I could have seen bassist Greg Lake before he joined ELP and guitarist Robert Fripp back when he had hair. I want to time-capsule myself and see them in London’s Hyde Park playing "21st Century Schizoid Man."

Sadly, it’s not to be. But I still jumped at the chance to see King Crimson during this sold-out three-day stretch at Park West, a warm up for the group’s 40th anniversary tour next year. Fripp is the band’s only mainstay from the original lineup, although guitarist/singer Adrian Belew and bassist Tony Levin are practically originals, having been with the group since the early ’80s. (In comparison, dual drummers Pat Mastelotto and Gavin Harrison are newbies, even though Mastelotto has been around since 1994.) As usual, the only ’70s tracks the band played were instrumentals (Belew doesn’t like to sing songs he hasn’t done the original vocals for). Instead, we got a medley of ’80s favorites, including lineup essentials like “Sleepless,” “Frame by Frame,” "Dinosaur" and “Thela Hun Ginjeet,” as well as as two encores that included “Elephant Talk” (Levin was badass playing his Chapman stick) and “Indiscipline” (let me be the first to compare that track to Slint’s "I Miss You").

The other comparison I couldn’t get out of my head, though, was the Rolling Stones. Hear me out: Forty years ago King Crimson were the anti-Stones — revolutionaries who eschewed blues-based rock for jazz- and classically-tinged freakouts that smashed preconceived notions of rock & roll. These days Fripp and crew have moved on to different priorities. They know that their audience of nerd-mullets and old hippies want to hear the hits, and that’s what they give them. Like the Stones, the guitar fireworks aren’t really there anymore (in fact, the band sounded a touch rusty). And forty years ago we would have never seen encores with standing Os – the group simply got on stage, blew your mind for two hours, and stalked off without a word. I wish I could have seen that. As for the softer, gentler prog grandpas of KC’s current incarnation? I’m still glad I saw them, even if I didn’t get the mindfuck I had hoped for.
http://www.timeout.com/chicago/blog/out-and-about/?p=7071
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to Reviews