free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - King Crimson - Dec 10th '72

King Crimson - Dec 10th '72

Can you remember your first KC gig or even your last KC gig? We want to hear up those memories here.

King Crimson - Dec 10th '72

Postby NICK on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:18 pm

The first ever gig I went to was a King Crimson gig - Sunday, December 10th 1972 at Birmingham Town Hall (that's Birmingham UK, should anyone from Alabama get excited). There's a JPEG of the ticket stub on the King Crimson Website. It scared the hell out of me cos it was LOUD - too loud for me as I had to keep my fingers in my ears for most of the gig. Before going, the only KC stuff I'd heard was "...Court...", "...Poseidon", "Islands" and "Earthbound". I knew there was a new line-up with brand new music - the only 'oldie' they would play would be 21CSM. It was immediately obvious that the twin percussive assault of Messers Bruford & Muir would overwhelm David Cross' violin - thank God he had a Mellotron to fall back on. The only tracks I recall them playing (well, it WAS over 34 years ago!) was "LTIA, pts 1 & 2", "Easy Money" and "21 CSM", which was the encore. They also did "Fracture", which was supposedly written in July '73. I saw them again at the same venue in March '73 and October '73 - the latter being the best gig I have ever been to.
NICK
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby vrooom on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:16 pm

Wow - thanks for the memory. I can barely remember what I did this afternoon, so an extra gazillion ProjeKction Kudos points to you, dear sir.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:40 am

You lucky dog, anyway welcome to the black board of Crimson sites!! 8)
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Glenn Seitz on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:36 am

It has always amazed me how, despite scull-shattering volume, a live performance can somehow be captured on tape and sound great (at somewhat lesser volumes). It is extremely dissapointing that I never caught the Larks era band when they came thru Texas in the early 70's. I always had the mini-cassette recorder with me at concerts......You are one lucky dog to have seen them three times.
Glenn Seitz
ProjeKction Champion

Re: King Crimson - Dec 10th '72

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:06 pm

NICK wrote:They also did "Fracture", which was supposedly written in July '73.

This is an interesting revelation, which warrants further investigation, I should think. It seems Robert has some 'splainin to do.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Indyrod on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:29 pm

Great story NICK, and I am so envious, I never had the chance to see my favorite KC Era. Just wondering what your impressions of Jamie Muir was those nights?
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby NICK on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 pm

OK Ladies, Gents and anyone else I've missed - to respond to your responses (pardon?)....
1) Indyrod - it isn't a story - it actually took place, though I'm sure you didn't mean it in that sense. Muir was, I thought, a bit of a pussy. He wasn't as anarchic as the British press had made out. I thought he mostly behaved as a normal drummer. It was only on a couple of occasions that he seemed to 'lose it' when he went ape-shit on some metal sheets hanging behind his drum-kit with a couple of chains(!) then hurled them across the stage JUST missing Fripp, who must have shit a brick or two. Musically, I thought Muir was pointless.
2) Fracture - I'm moderately sure that 'Fracture' had been in Fripp's mind since 1972, but he made it a formal piece of music in July 1973. I remember that he forgot the title of it, and had to be reminded of it by John Wetton.

Can I also say that I mucked this up. My original post was supposed to be in the "First King Crimson Gig" section, but somehow I made a cock-up, for which I offer my grovelling apologies. I'm sorry.....I'm very sorry. If you ever travel to Edinburgh, I'll buy you a drink - OK?
NICK
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby vrooom on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:09 pm

The only thing you need to be sorry for is being a King Crimson "fan" in the first place. This is a support group where we come to grovel for forgiveness.

Stands up and raises hand...

"My name is Darren and I am a King Crimson fan. I have been a King Crimson fan since 1988"

Who's next?

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:14 pm

vrooom wrote:The only thing you need to be sorry for is being a King Crimson "fan" in the first place. This is a support group where we come to grovel for forgiveness.

Stands up and raises hand...

"My name is Darren and I am a King Crimson fan. I have been a King Crimson fan since 1988"

Who's next?

Darren

Hi, I'm Jt and I've been a KC fan since 1971. :oops:

Nick are you a fan of their new stuff?
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby NICK on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 am

Hello Jt
No, I'm definately NOT a fan of "...their new stuff." As far as I'm concerned, the only half decent thing that Fripp has done SINCE 1974(!) has been "THRAK" with "B'Boom" a close 2nd. Everything else pales into virtual insignificance. Fripp was/is a bloody good guitarist and wrote some powerful stuff, but as far as I'm concerned, his primary asset was his use of the Mellotron. He used it as an instrument in its own right (rather than as a substitute for an orchestra) and he used it expertly - you only have to listen to the title track of "...Poseidon" and especially "Starless" on "Red" to realise the talent he surrendered when he stored his 6 (yes SIX) Mellotrons in his cellar at his home in Wiltshire in England. Once I've mastered HTML and found someone who can give me some cheap web-space, I'm going to do a King Crimson and Mellotron site that focuses on the overlap between the two. Watch ths space!
NICK
ProjeKction Acolyte

Next

Return to Live