free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Bill's Jamie Muir Interview -- Part Two

Bill's Jamie Muir Interview -- Part Two

This is where writer Bill Murphy posts his interviews with the Crims, and other prog luminaries. It's a book in serial form -- that you become part of!

Moderator: LTinAspic

Re: Bill's Jamie Muir Interview -- Part Two

Postby Gilesfan on Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:11 pm

This is [i]wonderful[/i] Bill!

[quote="LTinAspic"]
BM: Was there anything you guys had been working on that never made it onto the album?

JM: Oh yeah. I think lots of stuff. Well, we started off rehearsing quite a bit. Then after that we went on tour. During that process of rehearsing there was quite a bit of stuff that never got on tour or on record or anything that Robert finally felt wasn’t really going anywhere interesting. In those rehearsals we were improvising most of it just to try and find some common ground.[/quote]

Material for future re-masters or another [i]KCCC[/i]?

[quote="LTinAspic"]

BM: Right at the break [about 12:26]. Wetton said it was you who found some kind of a book about a Scottish condemned man.

JM: I remember a part on the record that...what John Wetton’s saying there about me reading something. That rings a bell. But I’m not quite sure what it was. But I do remember there was a part on the record where Bill Bruford actually recorded something off the TV. It was some play on TV. It was an idea I had about sort of a part of life. Ambient sound. Like people talking or some situational background sound. I think that was one of those times when I had to persuade Robert that it would be a good idea. Bill was enthusiastic about it. So he went off and recorded this off the TV. It’s a faintly Scottish thing. I think it was something about somebody being hanged or something. That was definitely off the TV. Bill Bruford went and recorded that off his TV.

BM: Really. That’s interesting. So you’re not really reading a passage from a book? It’s actually from a --

JM: Well, erm. That, no. Yes. That was, I’m sure that was Bill Bruford off the TV. But that thing that John was saying about me reading something. [/quote]

I thought in Sid's book he says that it was recorded off of a radio somewhere?

Whatever. Jamie was there. I [i]wasn't[/i]. :roll:

[quote="Jamie Muir"]But I think everybody’s life, in whatever way they define it, everybody is sort of, I mean, you can’t be on a path or not on a path. The minute you’re born you’re on a path, and everybody is. You may give it a different name at a different times. You may be much more intensely conscious and active in the way you deal with it. But while you’re being intense and active it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re actually moving along any faster. [/quote]

No wonder this guy is so incredible! That one's for the record book!
Last edited by Gilesfan on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby LTinAspic on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:06 pm

Gilesfan wrote:This is wonderful Bill!

Thanks. I really enjoyed listening to it myself just before I posted it.

Gilesfan wrote:
Jamie Muir wrote:But I think everybody’s life, in whatever way they define it, everybody is sort of, I mean, you can’t be on a path or not on a path. The minute you’re born you’re on a path, and everybody is. You may give it a different name at different times. You may be much more intensely conscious and active in the way you deal with it. But while you’re being intense and active it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re actually moving along any faster.

No wonder this guy is so incredible! That one's for the record book!

Yeah. I've always thought Jamie was one of the more intriguing former Crims. Now, especially, since my own interests have recently turn to Zen.

I have a lot more of my interview with Jamie left to share with everyone. I'll try to wrap it up with Part Three soon.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them!

Cheers,

Bill
--
"You make my life and times
A book of bluesy Saturdays
And I have to choose..."
LTinAspic
ProjeKction Champion

Postby LTinAspic on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:22 pm

laurent m wrote:
Owen wrote:
danny5 wrote:wow, very interesting.
i wonder why robert said (& printed) he had injured himself when he hadn't...
hmm.

I thought that piece of misinformation came from, and was invented by, EG management with Fripp only acting as the messenger

Jamie was instructed at the time by EG not to tell anybody in the group. And EG made up the injury story and never told the truth to the other members. So Robert only found out when Sid was writing his book. You can check footnote 3 p. 172 in Sid's book.

Yup. You're right, Laurent. Thanks for reminding us.

By the way, I'm fully aware there may be some overlap with Sid's book. I'm not trying to out-do Sid. I won't "scoop" him on the majority of these facts, even though I heard them some 3-4 years before he began his tome. My intention with these interviews is to provide an alternative to Sid's book, a way to augment Sid's book, and a way to get to know the former Crims in a way not allowed by the constraints of Sid's fine book.

I hope the occasional repetition of facts isn't going to bore anyone!

Bill
--
And I have to choose..."
LTinAspic
ProjeKction Champion

Postby highlythrakked on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:52 pm

LTinAspic wrote:
By the way, I'm fully aware there may be some overlap with Sid's book. I'm not trying to out-do Sid. I won't "scoop" him on the majority of these facts, even though I heard them some 3-4 years before he began his tome. My intention with these interviews is to provide an alternative to Sid's book, a way to augment Sid's book, and a way to get to know the former Crims in a way not allowed by the constraints of Sid's fine book.

I hope the occasional repetition of facts isn't going to bore anyone!

Bill

It in no way seems as if you're trying to out-do Sid. And the repetitions in various recollections of people is part of the interest to me, the slight twists of memory.
highlythrakked
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby starless on Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:06 pm

Fantastic stuff, again. Thanks for posting all these info!

Dario
starless
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby evktalo on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Very good stuff, very good.. I can't wait the next part! Inspired by Indyrod's comment I would vote for Cross next.

I was listening to Reuter/Kuljuntausta/Mastelotto while reading these and I just love what this site has to offer..

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby LTinAspic on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:47 pm

evktalo wrote:Very good stuff, very good.. I can't wait the next part! Inspired by Indyrod's comment I would vote for Cross next.

The rest of Jamie is pretty cool, too. I'll post it ASAP.

evktalo wrote:I was listening to Reuter/Kuljuntausta/Mastelotto while reading these and I just love what this site has to offer..

--Eino

Well, you can thank Projekction Head Honcho Darren and a world full of Crim Heads for this site. I think it's the coolest KC site going.

It's funny how many people listen to the music while reading the words. I do it all the time. :)

Bill
--
And I have to choose..."
LTinAspic
ProjeKction Champion

Postby Indyrod on Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:03 am

LTinAspic wrote:
Well, you can thank Projekction Head Honcho Darren and a world full of Crim Heads for this site. I think it's the coolest KC site going.

It's funny how many people listen to the music while reading the words. I do it all the time. :)

Bill

That's right, and tell Darren to quit bringing up April. We're behind this site, and behind him, so I think I'll kick his ass to make sure he's paying attention. :twisted:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby ilsecondodasinistra on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Hello everybody,
I think this interview is great. Did anybody ever post part Three (and maybe four)?

Thank you
Marco
ilsecondodasinistra
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby starless on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:56 am

[quote="ilsecondodasinistra"]Hello everybody,
I think this interview is great. Did anybody ever post part Three (and maybe four)?

Thank you
Marco[/quote]

Nope, sadly.

Dario
starless
ProjeKction Groupie

Previous

Return to Bill Murphy's King Crimson Interviews