free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Mr. Stormy's Monday Selections

Mr. Stormy's Monday Selections

Post your views and reviews on the downloads that have been made available on the DGM Live website.

Re: Mr. Stormy's Monday Selections

Postby Owen on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:37 am

vrooom wrote:The thing is that RF has been using Fracture as a guitar warm-up for yonks, so he could probably play it in his sleep. Even in this config, it still sounds good.

So, did he convert it to New Standard Tuning, or does he warm up in conventional tuning just as a fingering exercise?

I know it's unlikely he ever uses anything but NST, but I'm baffled as to how anyone could change tunings and still play something that complex.
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Owen wrote:So, did he convert it to New Standard Tuning, or does he warm up in conventional tuning just as a fingering exercise?

I guess so. There's a snippet of him doing the Fracture warm-up on the 1984 TOAPP concert vid. But seeing as NST came to him in 1983 it is possible he was still using standard tuning at this point. I don't know. :roll: Ask Sid.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MarkSullivan on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Owen wrote:
vrooom wrote:The thing is that RF has been using Fracture as a guitar warm-up for yonks, so he could probably play it in his sleep. Even in this config, it still sounds good.

So, did he convert it to New Standard Tuning, or does he warm up in conventional tuning just as a fingering exercise?

I know it's unlikely he ever uses anything but NST, but I'm baffled as to how anyone could change tunings and still play something that complex.

Just proves you're not as obsessive as Fripp. I can practically guarantee that he has relearned it in NST; Adrian has commented on the faces Fripp makes trying to execute some of the old KC repertoire in the new tuning. If it was me, I'd just play 'em in the original tuning, since they were written for it. And Fripp has clearly toyed with lots of the oldies. I don't see how else he and Adrian could have slipped into ITCOTKC so easily during that recent soundcheck download.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Fred on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:06 am

Today the posted a oldie from the Lizard session

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=3&show=1352

Here's another peek into Wessex studios as King Crimson are recording what would be their third album, Lizard, at the tail-end of 1970.

What we hear is a backing track being laid down by Gordo and Andy with a comping guide line from Robert on guitar. Mel Collins would all be brought in at a later stage to add his contributions.

Fripp too would overdub a different guitar part as well as VCS3 synth and a splash of Hammond organ. That would all come later in the process. Right now though we can cop an earful as to how vibrant the bass and drums sound on this demo whilst singing along at the same time.
Heigh-ho.

Tracks Disc Number 1
1. Indoor Games DOWNLOAD 5.38

Personnel
Robert Fripp: guitar
Ian McCullough: drums
Gordon Haskell: bass

Fred
He who tries to be his own teacher
becomes his favorite student.
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Fred on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:28 pm

A new one from the Thrak sessions at Real World

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=8&show=1644
Notes
It’s SingalongaThraK time thanks to Mr.Stormy’s unearthing of this pre-vocal mix of that well-known Double Trio toe-tapper. Recorded during the sessions for Thrak at Real World Studios in 1994, Mister Stormy said he particularly likes this version as all that wacky Mellotron goodness really stands out. This, by the by,is the same Mellotron that was used during the recording of In The Court of the Crimson King.

Tracks
Disc Number 1
1. Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream DOWNLOAD 4.47

Personnel
Robert Fripp
Adrian Belew
Tony Levin
Bill Bruford
Pat Mastelotto
Trey Gunn
He who tries to be his own teacher
becomes his favorite student.
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Some Selections Missing

Postby diderot on Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:55 am

I was checking the compilations (Vol. 1 and 2) and I found out that I missed some freebies (at the time), then I thought if someone could send them to me or give me a link to these little gems.

The missing tracks are:
    kc19700912-Last_Skirmish_Prince_Ruperts_Lament
    kc19701219-Guitar_Drums_And_Flute
    kc19831116-Band_Jam_Idea
    kc19940420-Cage_Dub
    kc20030624-Sound_Check
    log19800224-Disengage
    rf19771203-Groove
    rf19780205-Test_Loop
    rf19921211-Proto_Punk
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Glenn Seitz on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:09 am

I have been listening to something I've downloaded from what I think was a Mr. Stormy's Monday Selection. It is from 10-6-73 at University of Texas at Arlington. I researched it in the Performance Repository, and it is Improv I "driven by Bill's rythm box". It is physically impossible for me to stop playing this. This ranks way up there as far as improv's go from the 72-74 band. I don't know if anyone else actually downloaded it and kept it, but if you did, give this another try. This is really an excellent example of off-the-wall improv especially once it starts cooking (from about 7:10 on). I still can't believe I didn't make this show (I would have been about 17 at the time, and it is only about 20 minutes away). Krykie, this is a great one.
Glenn Seitz
ProjeKction Champion

Postby rtkcfan on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:20 am

Any chance somebody has these as mp3s (or FLACs) that I could download?

1982/03/16 Waiting Man - London, UK, March 16, 1982
Waiting Man Section - London, UK, March 16, 1982
Heartbeat Section - London, UK, March 16, 1982

1982/03/20 Odyssey Studios - London, UK, March 20, 1982

1983/06/09 Lark's Pt III Into Sleepless - London, UK, June 09, 1983

1983/11/16 BearsVille - New York, NYC, Nov. 16, 1983
rtkcfan
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby diderot on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:22 pm

I have all of them!

Do you have any of these?
    kc19701219-Guitar_Drums_And_Flute
    kc19940420-Cage_Dub
    kc20030624-Sound_Check
    log19800224-Disengage
    rf19771203-Groove
    rf19780205-Test_Loop
    rf19921211-Proto_Punk

Send me a PM!
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MarkSullivan on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:24 pm

I've just had a near-hard drive failure on my laptop. I think I can recover most of what's on there, but I deleted my whole music folder to clear space. Most of it is backed up, but I did lose one recent Monday Selections I'd like to keep. Does anyone have:

Lizard Prince Rupert Awakes with just Keith Tippett's piano (from September 13, 1970)
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to DGM Live! Downloads