free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Asbury Park

Asbury Park

Post your views and reviews on the downloads that have been made available on the DGM Live website.

Asbury Park

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:12 pm

I suppose nobody cared for the Asbury Park show since it was all documented on "USA", "Frame By Frame" , the "Schizoid Man EP" and "The Great Deceiver"

First, if you've heard "USA" it's no surprise other than that the fact the Jobson overdubs meant absolutely nothing to the first side of the record. It is, to me, the most awesome trio of songs to be played on the beginning of a KC '73 - '74 setlist. Fripp doesn't talk to the crowd - either that or his banter was edited out , or according to the the "Great Deceiver" booklet, it was the bad clams he had that made him ill- a friend of mine still says "yeah, Providence is great, but what about 'USA'?".

Well, I've played to him the entire Asbury Park concert. As much as I was astounded by hearing the concert in its interim, he was completely floored. He enjoyedf how things calmed down on the "Asbury Park" improv and then built up again; same with "Easy Money", a strong contender with the version on the GD box where they just veer off to improvisation instead of finfishing the song.

And then, "Fracture" and "Starless". The band was keen on making things over on that night as it seems, so they just did average renditions of these two songs. However, "Starless", as feeble as it might seem without the violin solo and the Hohner solo instead, seemed to takes us into a new level of awareness. My friend, Paul, chimed in: "if only Bruford bashed the metal sheets on this one as on "Red", I could've dubbed this as the ultimate version of "Starless" live.

And then, "Schizoid Man". Why was the Providence version chosen instead of this one? Just because Fripp soloes a mite subdued in comparison to Providence? Bruford makes this rendition a class rendition, even more so than Providence, as it has more energy than Providence.

All in all, probably the best KC '73 - '74 show I've ever heard.
Last edited by Ian on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Postby Indyrod on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:35 pm

"Asbury Park" is talked about quite a bit in this thread

And especially HERE
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:32 pm

Indyrod, the first post you've sent me a link always talks about the concert, but not the content. And the same can be said about the second link you've provided (thanks for them anyway, chap).

But no in depth discussion of arguably the best '74 King Crimson concert ever? We must rectify that.
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Re: Asbury Park

Postby Riverman on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:50 pm

Ian wrote:I suppose nobody cared for the Asbury Park show since it was all documented on "USA", "Frame By Frame" , the "Schizoid Man EP" and "The Great Deceiver"

Not true! I find all those other released bits and pieces superfluous. The full concert as-is is really the only version anyone needs... I'd definitely agree that it's the best single show out there (that I know of).
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to DGM Live! Downloads