free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Robert Fripp - Radiophonics

Robert Fripp - Radiophonics

Post your views and reviews on the downloads that have been made available on the DGM Live website.

Postby Krimzep on Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:25 am

Riverman wrote:
Krimzep wrote:ahhh so what is the difference between radiophonics and a soundscape or a platform.

Radiophonics is more harsh on the ears.

D'oh :lol:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Dog_none wrote:
nisimoto wrote:Unfortunately, there's a certain country where they might release it in mini-LP/paper-jacket/kami-jake format...with obi...

That country wouldn't also happen to be planning to release a mini-LP version of November Suite, would they?

Hear! Hear!

BTW, nisimoto, what does 'obi' mean, and what is the purpose of the obi strip? Is it some kind of certificate of authenticity? Everyone makes a fuss over them, and although I agree they are attractive, they seem sort of superfluous--kind of like a necktie. Unless there is something about them I don't know (which is very likely).
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby vrooom on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Obi-strips are endowed with magical powers that grant the owner temporary invisibilty...or something.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Krimzep on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:15 am

So I guess no one here knows what the difference between radiophonics, soundscape, and platforms are?.

I'd really like to know what the technical differences are and I thought you guys knew it all. :evil:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:30 am

Krimzep wrote:So I guess no one here knows what the difference between radiophonics, soundscape, and platforms are?.

The question still doesn't make any sense here. Radiophonics is one particular album, soundscape is a general term for music produced in a certain way, and I still have no idea what you mean by 'platform.'
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MarkSullivan on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:33 am

Krimzep wrote:So I guess no one here knows what the difference between radiophonics, soundscape, and platforms are?.

I'd really like to know what the technical differences are and I thought you guys knew it all. :evil:

Gee, I wasn't sure this was a serious question. They're all soundscapes, the generic term Fripp has been using since he started giving solo performances using digital delay instead of the tape delay of the old Frippertronics system. "Radiophonics" is a descriptive title for the performances on that CD. I suppose it's meant to be evocative, but I don't know how exactly...maybe the kind of abrupt changes you get if you flip through radio stations randomly? "Platform" was used on some November Suite titles. I think the meaning of that is more literal: the performance took place in a decommissioned railway station, in the area that had been a platform where trains arrived and departed.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby scorched earth on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 am

Yeah it's just the name of an album, but I suppose there is a grain of truth in the supposition that it represents a distinct variety of Soundscapes. Presumably Fripp picked up the name from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, which used "musique concrète and tape manipulation techniques...to create soundscapes suitable for the growing range of unconventional programming." Fripp's Radiophonics album contains some of his most radical use of processing/effects, and so it seems an appropriate name.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:54 am

Nice! you guys cleared that shit right up :D Thanks
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:58 am

MarkSullivan wrote: "Platform" was used on some November Suite titles. .

:? I heard some of this :? cant remember if I liked it or not. :? i'm not sure if I am not mistaking NS for another :? something about Greenfield :?
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Yorkshire Square on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:25 am

Krimzep wrote:
MarkSullivan wrote: "Platform" was used on some November Suite titles. .

:? I heard some of this :? cant remember if I liked it or not. :? i'm not sure if I am not mistaking NS for another :? something about Greenfield :?

"Platforms" 1-8 along with "Polychromatic Park" and "Technicolour Park" make up the "Green Park Suite".

The album "November Suite" comprises the pieces "Green Park Suite" and "November Suite" albeit that they are interspersed amongst each other.

The music was recorded at Green Park Station, Bath in November 1996, hence the titles.

This is one of my favourite Soundscape albums, being very cohesive. The music was substantially edited after the event, but its one of those albums I never tire of.
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to DGM Live! Downloads