free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Do you think we should send bootlegs to DGM ?

Do you think we should send bootlegs to DGM ?

Post your views and reviews on the downloads that have been made available on the DGM Live website.

Postby vrooom on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:03 pm

Damn, wish I'd have asked for $1000 donations now...

Darren
Last edited by vrooom on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:28 pm

oveh wrote:
The Crimson Avenger wrote:Sending bootlegs to DGM is like sending money to Darren Locke.

It's probably just me, but I don't get your point here :?:

Think of it as a Zen koan...
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby oveh on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:45 pm

The Crimson Avenger wrote:
oveh wrote:
The Crimson Avenger wrote:Sending bootlegs to DGM is like sending money to Darren Locke.

It's probably just me, but I don't get your point here :?:

Think of it as a Zen koan...

Whatever.............. :roll:
The only thing that stops God sending a second Flood is that the first one was useless.
oveh
ProjeKction Connoisseur

secret plot

Postby Krimzep on Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:55 pm

mabye its just a secret plot by fripp to gather in all the tapers he can find and then hang them out to dry. :lol:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Banter, Burble, Bootleg, Bicker, Bicker, Bicker

Postby crimcinnaman on Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:20 pm

I think that any recording that sounds decent and captures a burning performance would be welcome. I purchased one KC bootleg about 15 years ago and wasn't very happy with it compared to the money I spent on it. I listened to it about three times and that was it. I never had the opportunity or felt the need to spend my money that way since.

I have had the opportunity to listen to many bootlegs and audience tapes since my discovery of "those places" and they are of course a mixed bunch. There are several that I have heard that rival or are better than similiar offerings that I have paid DGMLive for. (Not the same gigs, but from the same era/tour).

I could send some of these to DGM, but I'm not sure that there is a point of contact and/or how welcome they would be. I'm going under the same assumptions as vrooom, they already know about these places and are also plucking these recordings for future income streams.

What do you think???
"My Child is an Honor Student
My President is a Moron"
crimcinnaman
ProjeKction Champion

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:11 pm

DGM would be well within their rights to simply go to places like Pennyabushel, download torrents and turn around and sell them on their site. Heck, most of the remastering work is already done for them in most cases. One wonders why they aren't making more of them available before too many people get them for free first. It can't be an issue of concern over market saturation, because that's an outdated paradigm as far as digital media goes. They would be fooling themselves to think they have some kind of control over what is made available. Everything is available immediately and all the time.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:47 pm

This was posted by someone . . . somewhere which gives you an idea of what kinds of things DGM has been sitting on for quite some time:
DGM put out a call for 1981 bootlegs in 1998. I was living in Tokyo, which is bootleg heaven, and responded by offering to buy some for DGM. They in turn offered to reimburse me with a membership to the then-new record club. I wrote down some titles and sent them; they chose two 2CD sets, The Sheltering Sky and Asakusa, both from Dec 1981 Japanese dates. These sets did not seem to be well circulated outside of Japan. Both were very expensive, around US$60. Asakusa sounded pretty bad; but Nagoya was an EX/EX- audience and (as usual) a good performance.

I simply made a cassette copy of the Nagoya show before sending them off to DGM, on an anonymous boom box. Audiophiles may cringe, but I just wanted to save it for posterity becuase I was hoping to see the set be put out by DGM. Well, it hasn't happened yet, so until it does, we may as well share this one. I trust you will buy a cleaned-up version if they do put it out.

So instead we get more 1981 shows that sound like Moles Club.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby scorched earth on Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:15 pm

Yeah why it took so long to release something from '81 besides Moles Club when Fripp is on record as particularly praising that vintage of KC is a bit of a mystery, unless they were saving something in order to not release all the good stuff right away.

Though I haven't heard either,* I do think it's a shame the Roxy '81 download didn't get more notice; the Munich '82 KCCC received a few positive comments here, but that was about it.

* Since I didn't repond to Indy hurling another one of his classy epithets at me yesterday when I mentioned I was planning on getting Roxy '81 but didn't after downloading a similar bootleg, I'll risk starting all that again (please let's don't), by noting that a) my current financial condition isn't such as to allow me to justify spending any money on music, b) the whole point of my argument was that in downloading bootlegs I recognize that I incur some debt to DGM, which can be repaid in many ways, including by not trashing the performance online, thus I accept a responsibility that Indyrod denied exists, and c) it was kinda ironic to have abuse hurled at me for not downloading a DGMLive offering by someone who has never downloaded one himself (I've done 10 or so).
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Yorkshire Square on Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:59 pm

Bizarre that Nagoya should be mentioned just as I have finished downloading it.

First listens seem very encouraging. Compared with the Roxy and Cologne DGM downloads, the sound quality is below par, but not half as bad as some I've heard. I seem to bin as many "shared files" as I keep due to poor sound quality. Some of these tapers must have shit in their ears when describing the sound quality. :?

Scorchy, don't eat for a week and grab the Roxy show. You won't be sorry. Hungry, but not sorry...
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Yorkshire Square on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:04 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:...So instead we get more 1981 shows that sound like Moles Club.

The quality of the Roxy and Cologne shows is way above that of the Moles Club (which to be honest isn't that bad anyway).

Surely there must be limits on your expectations for shows taped 25 years ago. (25 years? Do I feel an anniversary limited edition coming on? :wink: )
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to DGM Live! Downloads