free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Ulster Performing Arts Centre, Kingston, New York 11/14/03

Ulster Performing Arts Centre, Kingston, New York 11/14/03

Post your views and reviews on the downloads that have been made available on the DGM Live website.

Ulster Performing Arts Centre, Kingston, New York 11/14/03

Postby MiKcrobe on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Rather than go track-by-track in this review, let me just say this may well be the definitive live recording from the 2003 tour thus far. In my opinion, it easily outclasses and outmuscles disc one of the Eyes Wide Open DVD. If you haven't already bought Elektrik (I haven't but I ripped the audio tracks from the DVD to and audio CD so I've been listening to EWO as audio-only as welll as watching the video) skip it and download this instead.

Difficult to choose a few "standout" tracks on this one because the list would be longer than those that don't stand out. Level Five, Facts of Life, Larks' IV, and Red are all classifiable as Weapons of Mass Destruction. The Power To Believe II and III are superb and wonderfully executed. Finally, Happy With... is perfect. I was never um, happy, with the one on EWO. It seems clumsy and poorly rehearsed or something. This time they nailed it.

There is one shortcoming with this recording, however--audience noise. Not cheering and applause, but annoying shouts and catcalls from a very unruly audience who think they deserve to be part of the show and the center of attention. I suppose if this were a wide-market release, this stuff would be edited out (although the DGMLive description says that the FOH sound was "mixed with audience mics from the Multi-track ADATS" so I suppose they could have just left that stuff off. They should have. I don't understand the rationale of adding noise that didn't have to be there).

Despite the audience sounds, I think I'll be likely to reach for this one more often than EWO.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Owen on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:03 pm

I DL'd this one a week or so ago and haven't had a chance to listen yet due to PC problems.

Personally, I like a bit of audience noise mixed in. It adds a certain ambience representative of the live experience.

Looking forward to finally hearing it soon.

Cheers,
O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Ulster Performing Arts Centre, Kingston, New York 11/14/

Postby evktalo on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:32 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:The Power To Believe II and III

*spits*

THRUSH!
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Re: Ulster Performing Arts Centre, Kingston, New York 11/14/

Postby MiKcrobe on Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:39 pm

evktalo wrote:
MiKcrobe wrote:The Power To Believe II and III

*spits*

THRUSH!

:D You're right of course. Actually after I wrote that review I was thinking of changing that because this particular performance is way more like Thrush than TPTBIII. One other thing I wanted to mention about this show is that Trey Gunn's playing really stands out throughout. He seems to be adding a lot more bottom end, and maybe it's because he knew he was leaving the band in a few days, but his playing seems much freer and more uninhibited. I'm curious to find out if anyone else hears it the same way.
Last edited by MiKcrobe on Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby vrooom on Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:44 pm

I still maintain the theory that the best version of Thrush is actually the one you heard/saw live.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:13 pm

vrooom wrote:I still maintain the theory that the best version of Thrush is actually the one you heard/saw live.

What if you've seen it live a dozen times ??? :P

(answer, the first one, when you weren't expecting it, to wit, the P4 version documented on The Roar of P4. Of the KC performances, Buffalo 12/4/01 gets my nod.)
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby vrooom on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:22 pm

The Crimson Avenger wrote:What if you've seen it live a dozen times ??? :P

Hey - even I, a boycotted Brit, has seen the song performed twice. So :P

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby evktalo on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:36 pm

vrooom wrote:I still maintain the theory that the best version of Thrush is actually the one you heard/saw live.

Hmmmm... I'm not actually sure I prefer the Trush I heard in Helsinki over those on Heavy ConstruKction.. On the other hand, it certainly had that live "it's-happening-now" atmosphere, so that performance *was* special, even if it wasn't my favourite.

Well, an exception makes a theory.

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby Dan Anderson on Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Darren

I have to agree with that. This release was rugged, to say the least. THIS reminds me of a live King Crimson.

Dan
Dan Anderson
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Dog_none on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:56 pm

No question about it. This release is an infinitely better representation of the band on that tour than EWO.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Next

Return to DGM Live! Downloads