free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Brescia Italy, Pallazo Dello Sport, March 20, 1974

Brescia Italy, Pallazo Dello Sport, March 20, 1974

Post your views and reviews on the downloads that have been made available on the DGM Live website.

Brescia Italy, Pallazo Dello Sport, March 20, 1974

Postby MiKcrobe on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:02 pm

The Ghost of Mr. Muir?*

What does this show by the '74 quartet have that others so far released do not? A very late rendition of Larks Part One. In fact, it's the second of only four times they played it in 1974 from what I can tell from King Crimson Live! They would play it twice more in the month of March before dropping it from the setlist. The running time may be a bit misleading as the first three minutes is improvisation that wasn't separately named (cf. Sharks' Lungs in Lemsip). The important thing is that this rendition is a killer, possibly the best I've heard yet. Bruford is a total beast, pounding and smashing on all and sundry percussion as if you-know-who were back in the band, while Wetton grinds and crunches. Fripp's guitar work cuts through it all with a serrated edge of tempered steel. Then the coda creeps in like an evil force that quickly grows and engulfs everything around it. Think you have enough versions of Larks One? Think again.

Dr. Diamond is, well, Dr. Diamond. Nothing really new or different here, except that the rhythm section seems to be driving a bit harder, which seems to be the defining characteristic of this whole show.

Easy Money offers a few surprises, such as Wetton having fun with the lyrics ("They never told me once you were a mincer." That's right, mincer). And Bruford offers up MORE COWBELL. (I'm not kidding). The bridge shows Fripp in very fine form, tossing out notes like he's tossing out aphorisms after a weekend at the J.G. Bennet Institute. He even includes that sinister, mixolydian** motif heard on the studio version--I truly expected to hear that disembodied laugh fading in next.

Lament gets off to a shaky start with Fripp and Wetton not quite in tune with one another. But as the piece progresses into the louder parts, Bruford involves lots wood blocks and other tidbits, and the finale is one of the more assaultive takes on this piece.

The Night Watch, sadly, is marred by equipment problems such as feedback and microphone rumbles (or maybe Wetton was just too close to it). The performance itself, however, is up to standard.

Improv I. After about 5 minutes of atonal interplay between Fripp's buzz saw, Bruford's tintinabulation, and Cross's mellotron flutes, Wetton comes in with a pulsating machine stacatto through which Fripp proceeds to slice his way back and forth while Bruford almost seems to be composing the xylo slit-box part for The Sheltering Sky (!). Then the mellotron fades up and the whole thing swells and after some choppy stabs on the mellotron, everything calms down until the chords become recognizable as the opening of Starless.

Starless is fair. There are better renditions of course, but it should be noted that this is only the second time it was played live (the first was the night before). I haven't scrutinized the vocals, it sounds to me like the lyrics are an even earlier version than what was sung in later shows. Much as everywhere else in this recording, Bruford is all over this piece. It's also interesting to note that the Starless and Bible Black album hadn't even been released yet (although already recorded) and they are already playing a completely new song.

Exiles is incomplete and not especially noteworthy.

*Bonus points to anyone who guesses the obscure 1960's TV (or 1947 film) reference

**Okay, I took a wild guess on that, but it sounds good, doesn't it? :D
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Re: Brescia Italy, Pallazo Dello Sport, March 20, 1974

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:12 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:The Ghost of Mr. Muir?**Bonus points to anyone who guesses the obscure 1960's TV (or 1947 film) reference

Not that obscure, really... I do remember Hope Lange
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby RYG on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:58 pm

Isn't "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" that show that Charles Nelson Reilly was in before he was on all those game shows ?
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:56 pm

RYG wrote:Isn't "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" that show that Charles Nelson Reilly was in before he was on all those game shows ?

Yes, he was in that show; and Lidsville as well.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Riverman on Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:25 pm

Killer review, MiKcrobe! That's now at the top of my list once my synapses recover from the Kingston '03 show.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:35 pm

Great review, Mike! This show is on the top of my wish-download-list whenever I decide to do it... I don't think it will take too long.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks guys. Certainly the high points are Larks One, Easy Money, and the improv. I haven't heard the Pforzheim show yet, so I can't compare it to that. Would anyone who got that one care to review it?
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Sebastian Knight on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:03 pm

I posted some quick comments on the Pfortzheim show somewhere, but it's definitely worth getting. It's the same week as the Mainz show, and is somewhat similar. The Mainz show might be better over all, but not by much. You only get about 3 minutes of Fracture, although at least with this one they had the grace to fade out gracefully so you don't feel like you got kicked squa in the nahtz when the recording runs out. The Starless is very strong, as is the improv that leads into Exiles. There's another interesting performance of Doctor Diamond, which makes this somewhat self-recommending for all who can tolerate Wetton's vocals.
Sebastian Knight

Postby pilot kameleon on Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:34 pm

It's great show... :D

I download this stuff today in flac! It's really great!
pilot kameleon
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Return to DGM Live! Downloads