free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Zoom Club- April 13, 1971

Zoom Club- April 13, 1971

Post your views and reviews on the downloads that have been made available on the DGM Live website.

Zoom Club- April 13, 1971

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:52 pm

These first few Zoom Club shows always were on my wish list, and so far, this is the only show I've downloaded from DGM Live. I opted for the Mp3 version, not knowing how the quality would be. It is FABULOUS! Beautiful soundboard recording. I don't know how a FLAC download could improve the sound.

My only "complaint", and I sent an e-mail off to someone there regarding it, are the odd cut offs during different songs. For example:

Sailors Tale on disc one starts about 7 minutes into the song. I was excited at first, thinking they opened the set with it, but how can I tell now?

21CSM has the first few bars missing and the last minute or two missing.

POAC has the first 30 seconds or so missing. At about the 1 minute mark, there's about 20 seconds of some of the missing 21CSM stuck in there. Then it cuts back and repeats some of what has already played of POAC.

Sailors Tale on disc 2 starts fine, but after 15 seconds it starts all over again.

Get Thy Bearing is only the last 4:30 of the song.

Devil Triangle has the ending cut off (!!!!!?)(maybe the last two minutes?).

I really don't know why there's two Sailors Tales and Get Thy Bearings. But I'll take 'em.

I guess the good outweighs the bad, but I wish I'd known ahead of time. I'll probably get the first one soon, I hope it's not "chopped".
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Re: Zoom Club- April 13, 1971

Postby evktalo on Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:56 am

I have no idea, but I'll offer my "insight" anyhow. I'm obviously a helpful person!! ;)

Anyway, I think ALL of these kinds of oddities and cut-outs should be clearly noted on the DGM Live! site.

ChewChewGumChew wrote:My only "complaint", and I sent an e-mail off to someone there regarding it, are the odd cut offs during different songs. For example:

Sailors Tale on disc one starts about 7 minutes into the song. I was excited at first, thinking they opened the set with it, but how can I tell now?

They may have played it twice, the text regarding this show on DGML! mentions two Bearings were played, so why not two Tales. According to DGML! in 1994 DT played VROOOM + Coda at the start and the end of the shows.

This is mentioned..

POAC has the first 30 seconds or so missing. At about the 1 minute mark, there's about 20 seconds of some of the missing 21CSM stuck in there. Then it cuts back and repeats some of what has already played of POAC.

That sounds just plain messed up..

Sailors Tale on disc 2 starts fine, but after 15 seconds it starts all over again.

Again, sounds really weird. Quality control, anyone?!

Get Thy Bearing is only the last 4:30 of the song.

Devil Triangle has the ending cut off (!!!!!?)(maybe the last two minutes?).

Hazards of old bootlegs I suppose :)

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:41 am

I was hoping it was just a downloading issue and would/could be cured with another download attempt, since most of the problems were beginnings or endings of tracks, and the POAC/21CSM craziness was a "wires crossed somewhere along the line" problem.

I guess I'll wait and see if these problems have solutions.

It still ROCKS, and is one of the best shows I've ever heard from this band. I'm a happy camper regardless...
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby evktalo on Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:58 pm

It still ROCKS

..which is the most important thing of course. I'm happy to hear that. :)
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:23 pm

ChewChewGumChew wrote:
My only "complaint", and I sent an e-mail off to someone there regarding it, are the odd cut offs during different songs. For example:

I guess the good outweighs the bad, but I wish I'd known ahead of time. I'll probably get the first one soon, I hope it's not "chopped".

I recieved an e-mail yesterday from the DGM Live support staff letting me know they corrected the POAC-into 21CSM-back to POAC problem and allowed me to re-download the show. All the other missing bits were on the master tapes I was told. The mention was made that these types of "missing pieces" would be listed on the appropriate purchase pages so we know what's (not) there.

Does the April 12 Zoom Club show have anything missing? Anyone know?
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Dog_none on Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:35 am

Nothing blatant. But honestly, I've only listened to that show once. The post 80's stuff is too good to put down. Maybe I'll give it another spin tonight after I listen to the new '74 show.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby evktalo on Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:28 pm

ChewChewGumChew wrote:I recieved an e-mail yesterday from the DGM Live support staff letting me know they corrected the POAC-into 21CSM-back to POAC problem and allowed me to re-download the show.

Good to hear that.
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby GrassySound on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:39 am

I have both Zoom 71 shows, and feel that opening night has an energy and intensity that is really astounding. It's amazing to realize that these guys hadn't played in public before. I found night two to be a slight letdown in comparison, but there are some strengths apparent that weren't in evidence during opening night. Having said this, what steals night two for me is, without question, the second performance of The Sailor's Tale (on disc two). This version is long, intense, amazing, different, and an incredibly rewarding listen.
"Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm." - Frank Zappa
GrassySound
ProjeKction Fan

Return to DGM Live! Downloads