free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - ProjeKct Two - June 1, 1998 -IC Light Music Tent; Pittsburgh

ProjeKct Two - June 1, 1998 -IC Light Music Tent; Pittsburgh

Post your views and reviews on the downloads that have been made available on the DGM Live website.

ProjeKct Two - June 1, 1998 -IC Light Music Tent; Pittsburgh

Postby crimcinnaman on Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:41 pm

From a post to the DGM Live Guestbook:

It looks like the show times out at eighty minutes and one second, which just misses being able to fit on one full disc, instead of the two listed. I was looking for any places to trim a few seconds here and there and was surprised to find that the Introductory Soundscape listed as 8:01 contained complete digital silence as the first 1:45 of the performance. Being the Crim completist that I am I don't want to miss out on anything, so a question for the team: Is the Introductory Soundscape truly as I have downloaded (FLAC format) with an introduction of over 100 seconds of silence, or has something gone wrong in my decoding?

Also the last track VROOOM seems to be clocking in at 4:12 instead of the 5:00 minutes listed on the download page.

In any case I have opted to, for the time being, excise 105 seconds from the beginning of the Introductory Soundscape and burn the tracks to one CD-R. When I put this CD into my deck I will honor that 1:45 of silence before hitting the play -> button. ;-) (Sid, please feel free to delete this code for a wink, if you deem it offensive.)

Review to come....
"My Child is an Honor Student
My President is a Moron"
crimcinnaman
ProjeKction Champion

Postby Riverman on Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:03 pm

Actually, as I've discovered from Nadim, it's possible to burn more than 80 minutes onto a CD-R. My burner's gone up to about 83:30. Some CD players won't scan to the end (I guess sometimes the laser thingy won't move all the way to the edge), but if you're only talking a few seconds over, it shouldn't be a problem.

This download will be my next...
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Owen on Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:28 am

Riverman wrote:Actually, as I've discovered from Nadim, it's possible to burn more than 80 minutes onto a CD-R.

How do you do that? I use Nero and it won't let me go over the 80 minute mark even by a few seconds. At least not through the usual method of operation.

O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:52 am

Owen wrote:
Riverman wrote:Actually, as I've discovered from Nadim, it's possible to burn more than 80 minutes onto a CD-R.

How do you do that? I use Nero and it won't let me go over the 80 minute mark even by a few seconds. At least not through the usual method of operation.

Look under File, click on Preferences, and go to the Expert Features tab. My Nero (v5.9) has a check-box there where you can enable overburning.

There's a little warning that it might damage your CD recorder, but I think it's there to protect themselves just in case. I've done it a bunch of times with no ill effects.. the bigger possibility of errors is at the end of the CD itself.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:43 pm

I just finished downloading this show though haven't listened to it yet. There's some very faint audience noise for the first 1:46 of track 1, so it's not a glitch. I guess they just left too much intro time.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dog_none on Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:39 pm

No glitch.

There's similar places in other recordings. I was excited to hear a 15min version of Larks IV on the Munich show. Did Ade rock out his solo for an extra 2 min? No. Unfortunately, the extra 2min is audience noise at the end when the band walked off stage before Ade returned for TOAPP.

I guess its good to have some truly unedited performances. Although the orginal poster's comments about the Vrooom track time is interesting.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Re: ProjeKct Two - June 1, 1998 -IC Light Music Tent; Pittsb

Postby Krimzep on Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:44 pm

crimcinnaman wrote:From a post to the DGM Live Guestbook:

It looks like the show times out at eighty minutes and one second, which just misses being able to fit on one full disc, instead of the two listed. I was looking for any places to trim a few seconds here and there and was surprised to find that the Introductory Soundscape listed as 8:01 contained complete digital silence as the first 1:45 of the performance. Being the Crim completist that I am I don't want to miss out on anything, so a question for the team: Is the Introductory Soundscape truly as I have downloaded (FLAC format) with an introduction of over 100 seconds of silence, or has something gone wrong in my decoding?

Also the last track VROOOM seems to be clocking in at 4:12 instead of the 5:00 minutes listed on the download page.

In any case I have opted to, for the time being, excise 105 seconds from the beginning of the Introductory Soundscape and burn the tracks to one CD-R. When I put this CD into my deck I will honor that 1:45 of silence before hitting the play -> button. ;-) (Sid, please feel free to delete this code for a wink, if you deem it offensive.)

Review to come....

if you use nero to burn your discs you can set it to overburn by 80 seconds and still have a cd that works.

I know I have done it many times.

as long as you dont go to far past 81 minutes you should be fine.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to DGM Live! Downloads