free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Could he be the best drummer for Crimso?

Could he be the best drummer for Crimso?

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Margie wrote:
vrooom wrote:Indeed, Lizard is not a drum-driven album. It was only after that period that RF realised KC is a creature lead by the hips. :D

Darren

I think the more accurate comment would be that it was only after that period that Robert DECIDED that KC was to be a creature lead by the hips.

Do you really think it was a conscious decision? For all RF's braininess, he ultimately relies a lot on intuition. I'm inclined to think the band with Bruford went the way it did due to the group chemistry. Fripp allowed them the freedom to find a collective voice, which doesn't seem to be true of the previous incarnations. None of the other drummers after Giles were allowed that much freedom, nor were they in the band long enough to change the music's direction from within.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Ian on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:00 pm

Yes indeed. One could only imagine that if Andy stayed and joined forces with Muir (because give his recording output with other bands, he was truly interested in playing progressive music, unlike the lads on the "Islands" line up, which degenerated into a boogie - jam oriented band), how much of a blast this would be. But history can't be rewritten, we can't go back to the past and change things, and although the closest analogy of a McCulloch/Muir drumming team would be a Giles/Muir drumming team (even though Andy sounds extremely similar to Bruford at times). And the irony is that there is a pairing of Giles and Muir in the "Ghost Dance" album, with David Cunningham, although their musical apprach there is quite different from anything related to Crimso. Plus, I praise the gods Bruford came to join KC. After all, as much as I love Andy, he's just my second favourite KC drummer. Bruford always takes the cake.

Edit: ooops, my asessment was wrong. Bruford is my third favourite drummer - Muir takes the cake. Yet another example of a drummer whose style can't be heard properly in order to form an opinion of. And as such, I also have his entire recorded output as well. Just listen to the studio version of "Larks' I", when Wetton plays the bass solo and Muir is left alone to bash the drums. That is pure bliss.

And yet you lads must be thinking "criminy! He has a higher regard for McCulloch than Giles and Bruford?"

Well, like I've said, he can sound just like Giles and Bruford at the same time. Let's have it for Andrew McCulloch! Sláinte!
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Postby vrooom on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:22 pm

It is obvious that you are barking mad, sir! Welcome. You are indeed one of us...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Margie on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:42 pm

MarkSullivan wrote:Do you really think it was a conscious decision?

Knowing him (probably better than most here) to be a man of considerable thought and reason, yes. Intuition seems to inform all of his decisions, but still everything in Robert's life appears to be soundly reasoned.
Margie
ProjeKction Champion

Postby diderot on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:12 am

Ian wrote:Firstly, you should seek for the first two Greenslade albums, "Greenslade" and "Bedside Manners Are Extra". It's art rock with two keyboardists, Dave Greenslade and Dave Lawson. Lots of Mellotron, Hammond, clavinet, celeste, piano, electric piano (sounds to me like it's an RMI) and Moog synths. The lack of guitar in the overall sound of the band actually makes it quite distinctive. (...)

Ok Ian, I'll try Bedside Manners Are Extra. I confess I never listened to Greenslade, so you gave a good reason. :wink:
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:19 am

Personally, I found the Greenslade albums I bought to be rather dull...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:11 pm

(...)mind you that they might sound too mellow sometimes, but then there are these bursts of dynamic and fast playing that makes for a very pleasant listen(...)

Let it not be said that I didn't warn ye lads. Plus, try to get a hold of the sole album from Fields. Plus, which albums did you buy from them, Vrooom?
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Postby vrooom on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:28 pm

Ian wrote:Plus, which albums did you buy from them, Vrooom?

Gawd, it was a long time ago...I'll have to pop downstairs and check the vinyl rack...

(Toodles off to check)

Cripes, it seems I must have traded my original Greenslade vinyl and kept "Cactus Choir" (which McCullough isn't even on). But yeah, I did have the first album and that one. But now I only have one. Anyone want to buy a vinyl of "Cactus Choir" from me? Good condition and all.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Yorkshire Square on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:29 pm

Andrew McCulloch

Has he done anything since 1976?

Greenslade - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Wasn't that Laz bloke in Greenslade before he joined the top rate rock band Santers?
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby vrooom on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:48 pm

So you don't want to buy that Greenslade LP off me then, Yorkie? :D

But yeah, boooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggg!!!!!!!

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni