free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Could he be the best drummer for Crimso?

Could he be the best drummer for Crimso?

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Could he be the best drummer for Crimso?

Postby Ian on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:39 pm

I'm talking about Andy McCulloch here. Many people say he just tippity-taps on his snares too much and doesn't have enough powerful drumming, or many other complaints.

Well, as a matter of fact, I don't know for sure whether it was Fripp's or his own decision, but his playing on "Lizard" happens to be very restrained, since I've been hearing his other works - i.e., some of the drumming on Manfred Mann's Chapter Three "Part Two", Fields and of course, Greenslade.

And when first hearing the track "Drum Folk" on "Bedside Manners Are Extra", I've started to listen to the other tracks for the drumming more closely and realised: he was the perfect replacement for Michael Giles, and (don't flame me for this this) might've been just about the very equal of Bruford. I may be talking blarney here, but I think you folks should seek his other works. He's excellent polyrhytmically, has grand skills on the double bass drums, and is a very powerful drummer.

I've started imagining what the 1971 band's rendition of Schizoid Man would've sounded with him, and with all due respect to Wallace, he wouldn't hold a candle to Andy.

So, what are your thoughts, lads?
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Re: Could he be the best drummer for Crimso?

Postby Dog_none on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:01 pm

Welcome, Ian!

Ian wrote:So, what are your thoughts, lads?

I think the Lizard album is a masterpiece and the drumming is a huge contributing factor. I agree that the drumming (along with Gordon's voice) has a superb restained, mysterious quality. Sure, Lizard is kind of an oddball in the KC spectrum but it's a true masterpiece of weirdness. It's their last prog album, and they did it right.

I'd be curious to hear some more of Andy's work. Can you give some more specific recommendations (with descriptions) of other albums he's played on?

Search the forum a bit and you'll find several discussions about this album. Believe it or not, there are actually people here who <>gasp<> don't like this album! Philistines!
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Ian on Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:29 pm

Firstly, you should seek for the first two Greenslade albums, "Greenslade" and "Bedside Manners Are Extra". It's art rock with two keyboardists, Dave Greenslade and Dave Lawson. Lots of Mellotron, Hammond, clavinet, celeste, piano, electric piano (sounds to me like it's an RMI) and Moog synths. The lack of guitar in the overall sound of the band actually makes it quite distinctive. The bass work by Tony Reeves is great, and Andy's drumming, well, that's the icing on the cake. It's fluid, sharp, very complex and tasteful. It might remind you of a cross between Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford and Michael Giles himself - no wonder he was chose to fill Giles's shoes - mind you that they might sound too mellow sometimes, but then there are these bursts of dynamic and fast playing that makes for a very pleasant listen. Also, you can seek for their "Live '73 - '75" cd to hear them live in action. As for my description of Andy's drumming, don't take it for granted because in time you'll realise that he has his very own sound on the drums.
As for their other two subsequent studio albums, it's an acquired taste as they bring guest musicians to play guitar, clarinet, violin, etc. and go for a more poppier route in their music. In my honest opinion, they're just a itty bit subpar to the first two. I like them. After all, there's Andy on drums, right? Either way, they sound unique. You might seek http://www.progarchives.com to see the opinions on their albums and sound, but I'd take these opinions with a grain of salt.

And in between Crimso and Greenslade, Andy played on the short lived trio Fields, with Graham Field of Rare Bird on keyboards. Now these lads sound exquisitely unique; I can't make any comparisons. It's a class band, and guess what: Andy actually plays a real talking drum on one of the tracks.

Hope that helps, mate.
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Postby The Crimson Fox on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:12 pm

I've always liked the drumming on the album Lizard. Especially on the title track. Never heard anything like it before and since.
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby Indyrod on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:32 pm

"Lizard" is one of my favorite KC Albums, I love it.

And welcome to the board Ian. :D
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:46 pm

He also guested with ex-Genesis guitarist Anthony Phillips too...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Ian on Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:38 am

Yes, the "Scottish Suite" from 1976. Yet another great example of drumming.
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Postby evktalo on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:39 pm

Thanks for the info, Ian. You've deepened my perception of McCullouch.

I myself don't much care for Lizard, except for Cirkus and Bolero, which are excellent, and Prince Rupert's Lament which is nice but really a part of the whole, which in turn doesn't really excite me.

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby vrooom on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:17 pm

Ian wrote:With all due respect to Wallace, he wouldn't hold a candle to Andy.

Cripes...I just realised what you wrote. In earlier times, that one comment would have been enough for all out forum war...

Thank goodness those times have passed.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:13 pm

vrooom wrote:
Ian wrote:With all due respect to Wallace, he wouldn't hold a candle to Andy.

Cripes...I just realised what you wrote. In earlier times, that one comment would have been enough for all out forum war...

Thank goodness those times have passed.

Darren

It still is! I just let it slide because everyone has their favorites for what ever reason, Wallace is my favorite ex Crim ....
Wallace rules!
At least in my opinion.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to Alumni