free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Could he be the best drummer for Crimso?

Could he be the best drummer for Crimso?

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Postby Krimzep on Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:21 pm

Gilesfan wrote:Andy McCulloch is a great drummer. I don't know what he is doing now, but his playing on Lizard was really great. Very orchestral and very musical. It was sad that Michael Giles left the band, but I think Andy was an excellent (if not perfect) drummer to take the gig. I think Ian Wallace was awesome for King Crimson and of course Bill Bruford is arguably the best drummer for King Crimson. Pat Mastellotto certainly kept the reputation of the band always having great drummers and percussionists. Who can forget Jamie Muir! That guy was more than a percussionist. He was an all-out artist who painted with his instruments, wild stage presence and artistic outlook overall.

The only drummer I think they may have had for a very short time who was not cut out for the band was Jerry Marotta. An excellent drummer, but it would be interesting to see how he would have been in King Crimson. He was excellent with Peter Gabriel.

I like Jerry Martottas' work with Tony Levin especially on the From the Caves of the Iron Mountain but IMHO he wouldnt fit in with Crimson,

put it this way, many of us here and around the world think Bill Bruford was as you said the best drummer they ever had but with that said Fripp still had a problem with Bills percussion so how many albums do you think Jerry would have lasted for with fripp picking his every move?
Last edited by Krimzep on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Ian on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:29 am

Hell if I would know that; I haven't got a baldy. Jerry Marotta is a great drummer, but who knows? Andy was a case of being dissatisfied with the underuse of his skills and jumped ship as soon as he knew that Crimso would have to wait to get on a tour with more auditions for a bassist and a singer - he wanted to play. The only player who had any patience over a long term with Fripp was Collins, which to paraphrase him on either the "Islands" or "Lizard" booklet newspaper cuttings: "it's very frustrating, so all I can do is keep on practicing, which is okay".

But you know Fripp's modus operandi by that time: long and boring. So he quit and formed Fields with Graham Field. The rest is history.
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Postby vrooom on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:24 am

I've found the best drummer for King Crimson:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBvY9ZX_hT0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBvY9ZX_hT0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

No, don't thank me... :oops:

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:52 am

Further evidence that YouTube is a bad thing.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby evktalo on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:00 am

Well, using dog-paws for drumsticks certainly is something I trust no other previous KC drummers would have thought of. Poor doggy..

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Previous

Return to Alumni