free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - John Wetton

John Wetton

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

John Wetton

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:17 am

Since a lot has been written about him in another thread, I thought it appropriate to add this one instead of getting off of the subject of that thread. And well, being he was such a big part of King Crimson, he deserves his own thread.
Last edited by Gilesfan on Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:25 am

What about other band's that Wetton played in? Chapo, Edward's Hand, Rare Bird, Family, Mogul Thrash and Chapman/Whitney Streetwalkers, to name a few. How were these bands and are there any good albums by them. I know he also played with Uriah Heep, Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry and Phil Manzanera. And we cannot forget Gordon Haskell! :D

And how is his first solo album Caught in the Crossfire? I heard that he also played guitar on that one. There's also another one which I can't remember the title of that Alan White of Yes played on.

John Wetton is really talented. He just seems to "switch gears" a lot.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:31 pm

His contribution to Family's Bandstand album is slight. There's more JW presence on Fearless and he does a cracking job with bass and vocal duties on Spanish Tide. I remember that there's an excellent version of this floating around in the BBC archives when the band appeared on the Old Grey Whistle Test and JW is playing a double-necked bass/12-string. Yes, JW did some 12-string stuff too! Here's a brief clip of Spanish Tidewith JW singing for you.

With Uriah Heep, he plays on Return to Fantasy and High & Mighty. Again, his presence is felt more on the second album and he sings on a couple of the tracks. Off the top of my head (as I don't have the vinyl near me) I think the stand-out track is "Can't Keep a Good Band Down".

With Roxy, he only ever played live with them. His bass duties can be heard on Viva Roxy Music and he is often seen in the various appearances the band made on Musicladen. He always looks really pissed off though!

I've heard that Caught in the Crossfire is a pile of shite. I've always avoid that record, though I do have the "King's Road" compilation CD that was put out by EG Records. It's OK. Outside KC, JW's solo stuff ain't my bag...with the possible exception of the stuff I've mentioned above and the first UK album.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Whiskey Vengeance on Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:30 pm

Question: Why is it that John Wetton appears to be stuck in a 1986 timewarp? The production on his solo albums is hilariously out-of-date.
Whiskey Vengeance
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby diderot on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:33 pm

vrooom wrote:His contribution to Family's Bandstand album is slight. There's more JW presence on Fearless and he does a cracking job with bass and vocal duties on Spanish Tide. I remember that there's an excellent version of this floating around in the BBC archives when the band appeared on the Old Grey Whistle Test and JW is playing a double-necked bass/12-string. Yes, JW did some 12-string stuff too! Here's a brief clip of Spanish Tidewith JW singing for you.

With Uriah Heep, he plays on Return to Fantasy and High & Mighty. Again, his presence is felt more on the second album and he sings on a couple of the tracks. Off the top of my head (as I don't have the vinyl near me) I think the stand-out track is "Can't Keep a Good Band Down".

With Roxy, he only ever played live with them. His bass duties can be heard on Viva Roxy Music and he is often seen in the various appearances the band made on Musicladen. He always looks really pissed off though!

I've heard that Caught in the Crossfire is a pile of shite. I've always avoid that record, though I do have the "King's Road" compilation CD that was put out by EG Records. It's OK. Outside KC, JW's solo stuff ain't my bag...with the possible exception of the stuff I've mentioned above and the first UK album.

From this résumé it's hard to believe he is the same John Wetton we once knew in KC, but we know that those were his best years...
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Yorkshire Square on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:49 pm

Aw, fuck it, I'll stick my neck out again.

Buy, borrow or steal Steve Hackett's The Tokyo Tapes. Hear JW on Court of the Crimson King and I Talk to the Wind and also on versions of his own Battle Lines and Heat of the Moment.

This album prompted me to delve deeper into the post-KC works of JW. Yes they aren't KC, but they have their own charm; give them a go, you might be pleasantly surprised.

As for the style of production; why is 1986 particularly out of date? If KC could match any of the post Rubber Soul Beatles albums for quality of production then come back to me. If not shut the fuck up...
Last edited by Yorkshire Square on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby vrooom on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:54 pm

The DVD is rather good too...though I skip all of JW's solo material, because it stinks! :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:34 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote: If KC could match any of the post Rubber Soul Beatles albums for quality of production then come back to me. If not shut the fuck up...

Huh? Granted, Revolver and Abbey Road were just cited in The Absolute sounds round-up of greatest sounding LPs, but with so many caveats that I suspect they were included just to stave off letters to the editor.

LTIA is surely the equal of Abbey Road, and TPTB blows the entire Beatles catalog out of the water, production-wise. I'll throw in the remastered ToaPP and any handful of the KCCCs that came from recent ADAT masters as reinforcement.

Not that it's a fair comparison, the Beatles were working with sticks and stones and achieved remarkable results for their time.

I cannot comment on the production on JW's solo records, as the notion of bringing such an object into my house, let alone permitting it anywhere near my stereo fills me with nausea and loathing.
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby RYG on Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:52 pm

TCA wrote:
Not that it's a fair comparison, the Beatles were working with sticks and stones and achieved remarkable results for their time.

Not to mention The Brodenbury Tapes release. Based on what was descibed in the booklet it's quite amazing how well that one sounds. The Giles Brother's level of equipment in '67/'68 was paltry, at best. It is amazing how any record before 1979 could sound better than a record in the last 10 years (i.e. -- KC's The Construction of Light).
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby MarkSullivan on Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:53 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote:Aw, fuck it, I'll stick my neck out again.

Buy, borrow or steal Steve Hackett's The Tokyo Tapes. Hear JW on Court of the Crimson King and I Talk to the Wind and also on versions of his own Battle Lines and Heat of the Moment.

I'd recommend this one, too...just bought it recently during my re-discovery of Steve Hackett. They do a terrific job on Court, as well as pretty much everything else. There are a few minor Hackett tunes I tend to skip ("Vampyre with a healthy appetite" - feh), but otherwise great. And Wetton sounds as good as he's ever sounded, even on non-KC stuff like "Watcher of the Skies."
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to Alumni