free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Ian McDonald

Ian McDonald

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Postby Gilesfan on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:26 am

Ian with Foreigner.

What do you think about it?

I thought the first two albums were okay considering the times. I could never figure out what he played with them. Guitar or keyboards or both? The guy plays so many instruments!
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:49 am

Ian McDonald's solo album Driver's Eyes is now available as a download at eMusic.

http://www.emusic.com/album/10939/10939691.html

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:59 am

Happy 61 first birthday Ian Mac! 8)
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Ian on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:19 am

My namesake is a genius, nothing short of that. I do recognize that his style (as much as Mel Collins's is derived from Albert Ayler, mainly) is definitely influenced by Eric Dolphy (and he also claimed to be influenced by him, if I can recall correctly from the "Epitaph" booklet) and that's class. I'm definitely not saying he was imitating Dolphy, but there's definitely a strong influence, which eventually rubbed on my own sax playing - I love playing the saxophone work from McDonald and Collins.

But back to the fact that he's a genius. How could he not be? He played multiple wind instruments, keyboards and guitar, and if you don't believe that Ian McDonald, not Robert Fripp defined what King Crimson was, at least until Fripp went into the "Larks'" phase of the band (and traces of his influence were still present on the '72 - '74 lineup, but let me finish my thoughts first), first take Fripp's own assesment that, to paraphrase him, "the first half of the second KC album is 'In The Wake', and the second half is 'McDonald and Giles'". Plus, the credits on "Wake" are quite unfair: "Pictures Of A City" was a full '69 band composition, "Cadence And Cascade" still had melodic motifs that appeared on "Flight Of The Ibis", and "Devil's Triangle" should be entirely credited - perhaps not the last section - to Fripp and McDonald.

Secondly, they've mentioned in '69 interviews a side-long suite called "Birdman", which as we know, has parts that are derived from "Trees", another full '69 band composition (which also gave origin to "Pictures Of A City") so maybe Fripp's assesment of what really is the second album by King Crimson is quite correct. And even not a band member anymore, "In The Wake Of Poseidon" has the shadow of McDonald all over it.

But it doesn't stop there. The sung parts of "Happy Family" on "Lizard" were a frequently used motif (and I believe I've mentioned this before) by Ian on the post "Travel Weary Capricorn", and "The Letters" on "Islands" is nothing short of a rearrangement of "Drop In", yet another composition that McDonald was involved with.

Finally, "Exiles". One would think that KC '69 - '72 was gone forever with a brand new approach to music, but the intro of "Exiles" is nothing short of "Mantra" - Ian's influence again.

And Fripp's Mellotron usage might predate KC "One In A Million" on GG&F's "Cheerful Insanity", but listening to how Ian used it live, it's quite obvious that Fripp learned a few lessons on the handling of the instrument until the end of the seventies King Crimson.

That said, McDonald's contribution to King Crimson goes way beyond "Court" and "Wake" - in some ways, he set the principles whereupon the band (even in the '72 - '74 era - and let's not forget his presence on "Red") would function. And that's why Ian McDonald is a genius.
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Postby Dog_none on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:49 am

Ian, your posts are some of the most interesting we've had in years. Keep it up. One of these days I'll muster up the brain capacity to properly respond.

I'd almost forgotten this site was about King Crimson!
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Gilesfan on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:43 am

I have to agree with you Ian. You certainly pointed out a lot of things that may have gone unnoticed by some. King Crimson would have been nothing in the beginning without Ian McDonald. It may not have gotten off of the ground at all without Ian. There is no doubt that his influence was reverberating for the rest of 1970-74.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:21 pm

Dog_none wrote:Ian, your posts are some of the most interesting we've had in years. Keep it up. One of these days I'll muster up the brain capacity to properly respond.

I'd almost forgotten this site was about King Crimson!

Firstly, I don't believe for one minute "Ian" is a real KC fan. I think he's a fake, a plant, just to stir up this site.

And this site isn't about King Crimson...it's about ME...ME...ME... :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:32 pm

vrooom wrote:Firstly, I don't believe for one minute "Ian" is a real KC fan. I think he's a fake, a plant, just to stir up this site.

Well honestly at first I thought he was Andy McCulloch's agent or something, but now it's clear that he's one of those trolls who goes around to various websites and attempts to bring them back on topic.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby vrooom on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:57 pm

The swine...!

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Ian on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:54 pm

Okay, Darren, in my review of "Court" I'll mention crucial points that indicate that the record was made as a foretelling of yer birth and therefore made for you.

I'm having a craic being a turkey and a swine.
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni