free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Ian McDonald

Ian McDonald

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Ian McDonald

Postby Gilesfan on Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:12 am

Ian McDonald was one of the founding members of King Crimson. Yet, he was only with them for just about 1 year.

It seems that without him, the 1969 band would have been rather unbalanced. It would have been interesting for that line-up to have been a trio, but Ian added the colors and most of the melody to the band.

His fantastic collaboration with Michael Giles on McDonald & Giles I feel was one of his highest points. :D

Then to join Foreigner! :shock:

Actually, I personally thought the albums he did with Foreigner were quite good (I don't actually have them, but used to hear the albums friends had back in the 70's!). I did notice Foreigner changed a lot after Ian left.

I am really not sure what he did before or after Foreigner. :?

There are some "lost chapters" it seems in this brilliant musician's career.

His playing on Steve Hackett's 1997 Tokyo Tapes is quite fantastic as well!

Ian's 1999 release Driver's Eyes was such a well rounded album. All kinds of material there.

And then on to 21st Century Schizoid Band in 2002, which seems to be on hold at the moment.

I thought it was fantastic to see Ian playing these King Crimson tunes once again with the band. And showing that he is a truly modest musician as is shown by working so well with fellow
woodwindsman/keyboardist Mel Collins.

As far as I know, Ian doesn't even have his own website! :o

But Ian seems to let his music do the speaking for him.

Anyway, Ian is one of the really great musicians who has remained true to his heart and music. :D

Cheers to Ian! :D
Last edited by Gilesfan on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Absinthe on Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:36 pm

That was a lovely tribute to Ian, Gilesfan!

I've never met him but he seems like he'd be a good guy. He always looks like he's really enjoying playing music and that's a grand thing. :)

I didn't realize he was in Foreigner.
Absinthe

Ian's woodwind playing

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:00 am

I was listening to Epitaph Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. during the last few days.

Particularly impressive is Ian's sax playing in "Drop In" (absoulutely funky-spelled that way purposely :wink: ) and flute solo in "Travel Bleary Capricorn" (absolutely smokin' :shock: ).

Ian's playing really makes both of these tracks what they are. If Ian had not contributed what he did, these would not be nearly as great as they are. And without him, the 1969 line- up would not have been nearly as great as it was.

Who else could ever play woodwinds at this highly proficient level in rock music, particularly back in 1969?

A standing ovation from me for these performances by Ian. :D
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Ian's woodwind playing

Postby Indyrod on Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:22 pm

Gilesfan wrote:And without him, the 1969 line- up would not have been nearly as great as it was.

Nearly as good? They probably would have never existed, or if they had, nobody would have ever heard of them.
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Re: Ian's woodwind playing

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:51 pm

Indyrod wrote:
Gilesfan wrote:And without him, the 1969 line- up would not have been nearly as great as it was.

Nearly as good? They probably would have never existed, or if they had, nobody would have ever heard of them.

Totally agree. :D
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Driver's Eyes

Postby Gilesfan on Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:27 am

If you have not already done so, may I suggest checking out Ian's solo album Driver's Eyes. Featuring Ian, his son Max, and others such as John Waite, Lou Gramm, Peter Frampton, Gary Brooker, John Wetton and Michael Giles, it is a very well rounded album.

Man this guy's talented! :shock:
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Whiskey Vengeance on Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:32 am

Ian has a beautiful sense of melody and, as the McDonald and Giles LP (and probably Driver's Eyes, but I haven't heard that one) shows, a great talent for good-old-fashioned songwriting. His contribution to KC69 can't be measured. I'm sure as I become more familiar with his post-KC69 work, my appreciation of his talent will increase.
Whiskey Vengeance
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Indyrod on Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:49 am

Whiskey Vengeance wrote:His contribution to KC69 can't be measured. I'm sure as I become more familiar with his post-KC69 work, my appreciation of his talent will increase.

huh?

Not sure I get your drift there WV... :?:

I consider IM to be the heart and soul of KC69. And also the composer.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby bongo on Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:54 am

are you sure that was ian on sax on drop in? because when i heard that on "epitaph", i heard lead vox and sax at the same time.
"get along little doggy."
bongo
ProjeKction Champion

Postby Sebastian Knight on Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:01 am

bongo wrote:are you sure that was ian on sax on drop in? because when i heard that on "epitaph", i heard lead vox and sax at the same time.

Greg Lake does the singing. Ian's the only sax player from 69, and does most of the mellotron duty as well.
Sebastian Knight

Next

Return to Alumni