free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Mel Collins

Mel Collins

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Mel Collins

Postby Lemmings on Tue May 04, 2004 4:45 am

I shook his hand at a 21st Century Schizoid Man show! :shock:

Anywho,

He was probably my favorite member in the 1970-1971 line-up. Great saxaphone player with a tasteful tone & tasteful improvising...
Lemmings

Postby vrooom on Tue May 04, 2004 10:27 am

Mel Collins is da man. I know everyone loves and respects Ian McDonald as a sax player, but when Mel Collins puts the reed to his lips and blows, you know something special is going to come out. He is a very consistent, exciting and powerful performer.

The really great thing is that he sounds exactly the same as did on those early discs. A remarkable guy. If the Schizzies are in town, go along just to see him. I really wanted to meet the guy and shake his hand before the London gig, but he was caught in traffic and never made it to the sound check. :-( Despite missing the soundcheck, he still hit the floor running.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue May 04, 2004 1:34 pm

When you stop to think about it, a lot of the magic that happened on albums like Lizard, Islands, Red, and all of the live Islands-band material was the interplay between Fripp and Mel Collins. When you're thinking about some of those early Crimson albums and you know there's some special quality that you can't quite put your finger on at first, and when you think a little harder, you realize that special quality is Mel Collins.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue May 04, 2004 6:49 pm

Mel sure is a very special player: I've always been more interested in any recording with his name listed. I'd go so far as to call him the best sax player in rock...granted that's a smaller field than more common instruments like guitar, but there's still some stiff competition. Fripp has as much as said that he wasn't in Mel's league as a player when Mel was in KC, and I'd have to agree. It would be fun to hear the two of them interact now, on more equal footing.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Tue May 04, 2004 6:57 pm

MarkSullivan wrote: Fripp has as much as said that he wasn't in Mel's league as a player when Mel was in KC, and I'd have to agree.

That's probably why RF used to act so mean and make the poor lad cry! :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Lemmings on Wed May 05, 2004 12:40 am

MiKcrobe wrote:When you stop to think about it, a lot of the magic that happened on albums like Lizard, Islands, Red, and all of the live Islands-band material was the interplay between Fripp and Mel Collins. When you're thinking about some of those early Crimson albums and you know there's some special quality that you can't quite put your finger on at first, and when you think a little harder, you realize that special quality is Mel Collins.

I agree whole heartedly! :D
Lemmings

Postby Indyrod on Wed May 05, 2004 1:03 am

Mel Collins is an absolute treasure for Crimheads. One word Starless, that's all you have to know, although there is so much more. I also enjoy his work on a couple of No-man albums working with Steven Wilson. He is definitely da man with da sax, and a perfect compliment to Ian McDonald performing with the 21stCSB. Since I found out today it was released, and ordered their live DVD, I can't wait to see him on stage, along with Michael Giles, and the rest of the original 21stCSB.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Re: Mel Collins

Postby penston on Wed May 05, 2004 2:48 am

Lemmings wrote:I shook his hand at a 21st Century Schizoid Man show! :shock:

Cool! 8)
penston

Re: Mel Collins

Postby Lemmings on Wed May 05, 2004 3:54 am

penston wrote:
Lemmings wrote:I shook his hand at a 21st Century Schizoid Man show! :shock:

Cool! 8)

Indeed it was!!!! :D

Mel Collins is an absolute treasure for Crimheads. One word Starless, that's all you have to know, although there is so much more. I also enjoy his work on a couple of No-man albums working with Steven Wilson. He is definitely da man with da sax, and a perfect compliment to Ian McDonald performing with the 21stCSB. Since I found out today it was released, and ordered their live DVD, I can't wait to see him on stage, along with Michael Giles, and the rest of the original 21stCSB.

Too true. The DVD is incredible by the way. 8)
Lemmings

Postby Gilesfan on Wed May 05, 2004 11:25 am

Mel is no doubt one of Britain's top overall woodwind players (along with Ian McDonald and the two of them playing and working so well together is simply a dream :D ).

Check out Mel's phenomenall playing on Chris Squire Fish out of Water, one of my favorite albums of all-time, and to me, the best solo album ever done by any Yes member, past or present.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to Alumni