free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Jamie Muir

Jamie Muir

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Postby Ian on Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:47 pm

Jamie Muir was simply the best drummer King Crimson ever had. His previous work with the Music Improvisation Company shows him to be one of the most bold and daring drummers concerning improvisation - he would venture into the unknown with intensity and extreme idiosyncrasy - no wonder his band colleagues were Derek Bailey and Evan Parker. There's absolutely nothing from the MIC that sounds like anything else, and his drumming and percussion experiments were a crucial part of that sound.

By the time Fripp approached him, he had already progressed by leaps and bounds, and added melody to his drumming and percussive style. No drummer ever reached the heights of Jamie. Not only he played drums and simple percussion instruments, like bell trees, temple blocks, tubular bells, wind chimes, cowbells and gongs, but he was one of the first to add boo-bams (which Bruford would eventually use on the '81 - '84 band), metal sheets, plastic bottles, chains, birdcalls, whistles, thumb piano, dulcimer (which is not even an actual percussive instrument - yet another proof that he brought melody to drumming moreso than any other drummer), saw (yet another non-percussive instrument), and with all that and more, like hollow logs, bicycle horns and so on, he also added sounds unheard of before comming from a drummer. His frantic approach, with chains and intense, amazingly skillful and unique drumming (check out from around 06:20 on the studio version of "Larks' I" along with the bass solo - panned from the left to center channel, there's only one drum playing, bashing on a china cymbal and raising hell on the drumkit and sundry percussives: that's Jamie alone, and proof that if Bruford didn't join KC, or if Fripp just had a single drummer and if that drummer happened to be Jamie, he would be just about perfect for the job, capable of handling anything by himself, as Bruford would have to do later, albeit with much less inventiveness and intensity - and mind you that Bruford is about the most intense drummer ever; second only to Jamie, in my opinion).

Much have been said about his influence on Bruford here and how he even made him cry and how Bruford always praises Jamie in his interviews for making him the drummer he became, and indeedly Jamie has broadened the horizons to Bruford in a way that no drummer could do for another drummer, so I shan't comment on that - everyone knows that Bruford became the best drummer ever thanks to a drummer that to me happens to be even better than Bruford: Jamie Muir.

Even when returning in the eighties to do "Ghost Dance" and "Dart Drug", Jamie still had an incredible sense of melody, still something uncommon to most drummers, and inventiveness.

On "Larks' Tongues In Aspic", you get the most melodic and odd sounding percussive sounds of the entire KC catalog, and that's all due to Jamie's inventiveness and willingness to do everything he could. Where else would you hear a song where the drumming is accompanied by hands being sloshed in a mud bucket rhythmically, crumpled paper sounds, zipper sounds and the likes of it? I could go on and say more things to exemplify Jamie's input, like the thumb piano solo (more melody) on the beginning of "Larks' I", the eerie sounds on "Exiles", but I don't have to. I would be just saying what everybody knows, but my point here is that Jamie should be recognized as the best drummer King Crimson ever had, if I may repeat myself. Nobody plays like Jamie, and nobody ever will.
Ian
ProjeKction Regular

Postby jtmack on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:27 pm

I wouldn’t go so far as to say Jamie is the best drummer KC ever had.
I would say Jamie has had the most influence in the world of drummers than any other KC drummer.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:13 pm

I thought Andy McCullough was the best drummer...

Oh forget about it!

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:33 pm

Isn't there a difference between a drummer and a percussionist? Jamie was indeed the best percussionist, imo, but I still like Mike Giles and Bruford as drummers, although they could probably be called percussionists too.

I'm not sure that made any sense, but I know what I mean. :?
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Dog_none on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:12 am

All drummers are percussionists, but not all percussionists are drummers.

Drummers are a subset of percussionists.

Drums are a type of percussion instrument.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby vrooom on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:14 am

I'm sure you could make that into a tongue-twister, Dog.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MiKcrobe on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:00 pm

Dog_none wrote:All drummers are percussionists, but not all percussionists are drummers.

A logical syllogism from which we can conclude that Phil Collins' head is made of wood.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Hans on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:27 am

MiKcrobe wrote:
Dog_none wrote:All drummers are percussionists, but not all percussionists are drummers.

A logical syllogism from which we can conclude that Phil Collins' head is made of wood.

Still refining your comedy routine, I see :lol:
Hans

Previous

Return to Alumni