free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Jamie Muir

Jamie Muir

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Re: Jamie's equipment

Postby Crimsoid on Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:32 am

Gilesfan wrote:I have been wondering what ever happened to Jamie's equipment. Some of the sounds heard from Bill on post-Jamie albums, lead one to believe Bill "adopted" some, or all of it. I think the windsheet and gongs Bill used were Jamie's. Some of the other "sounds" on Starless & Bible Black Red, USA and The Night Watch definitely sound like they were heard on (and probably played by Jamie) on Larks Tongues in Aspic and KCCC# 3: Live at The Beat Club, Bremen 1972.

+Wind effects on SABB and The Night Watch was produced by Fripp's [or Cross'] Mellotron.

+Bill had to adopt sobe of the 'Jamie's toys' because without that he couldn't play songs that were recorded and played with Jamie. Without that songs could be very poorly.
Crimsoid

Postby Whiskey Vengeance on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:22 pm

I'm glad Bill took up Jamie's "toys", alot of good stuff came from it.

A) The presence of Jamie's signature instruments on songs written for them would be sorely missed

B) No woodblocks on the middle section of the studio version of Starless!
Whiskey Vengeance
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby vrooom on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:25 pm

I think if you listen to what BB did with Yes from Fragile ---> CTTE and then listen to his work after LTiA, you can immediately hear just how his playing opened up with King Crimson. Yeah, he was a good drummer with Yes but KC made him a great drummer and that is a lot to do with his brief time with Jamie Muir and the way that KC relied a lot on improvisation and the rhythm section driving the band forward.

Just imagine it if BB had stayed with Yes and never met JM. What a terrifyingly dull thought! :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Re: Jamie's equipment

Postby Gilesfan on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:58 am

Crimsoid wrote:+Wind effects on SABB and The Night Watch was produced by Fripp's [or Cross'] Mellotron.

:lol: This just reminds me of just how obscure some percussion instruments are; especially to the general public! That's okay though. It adds to the mystique of them! :D Thanks though. :wink:

The windsheet I refer to is set behind Bill on the "Easy Money" and "Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 2" videos from 1973 that Darren has kindly posted. If I recall correctly, Bill gives the windsheet a "thrashing" at some point of improv in of "Easy Money" (it is below hiw row of gongs). I think Jamie may have it set up in the "Larks Tongues in Aspic Part. 1" video from 1972.

Crimsoid wrote:+Bill had to adopt sobe of the 'Jamie's toys' because without that he couldn't play songs that were recorded and played with Jamie. Without that songs could be very poorly.

Well, I agree. But I will say that I feel Bill is inventive enough to play those songs even if he did not have "Jamie's toys". But they certainly help and make the songs more "authentic". :D

Thanks for your input in the thread and discussion.

And welcome to ProjeKction! :D

Whiskey Vengeance wrote:I'm glad Bill took up Jamie's "toys", alot of good stuff came from it.

A) The presence of Jamie's signature instruments on songs written for them would be sorely missed

B) No woodblocks on the middle section of the studio version of Starless!

A) No doubt, those songs without Jamie would not have sounded the same.

B) "Temple Blocks" is the "technically correct" name of them! :wink: Usually a woodblock is single and usually square, whereas "temple blocks" can be square or round. Nor would the gongs have been used that he used on the live versions of it. Come to think of it, that windsheet may have been used on the studio and live versions as well! :D

vrooom wrote:I think if you listen to what BB did with Yes from Fragile ---> CTTE and then listen to his work after LTiA, you can immediately hear just how his playing opened up with King Crimson. Yeah, he was a good drummer with Yes but KC made him a great drummer and that is a lot to do with his brief time with Jamie Muir and the way that KC relied a lot on improvisation and the rhythm section driving the band forward.

Just imagine it if BB had stayed with Yes and never met JM. What a terrifyingly dull thought! :D

Darren

How true! I think Bill was always a "great" drummer. But joining King Crimson and meeting Jamie Muir made him one of the "greatest" drummers.

I like all of Bill's playing on absolutely every single recording he has ever made.

And I think it worked our perfectly with him leaving Yes. Alan White is better for them since the time he joined them, but it is great that they both played with the band at the exact times they did. It was all meant to be. :D
Last edited by Gilesfan on Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Bill's equipment

Postby diderot on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:56 pm

Gilesfan wrote:This just reminds me of just how obscure some percussion instruments are especially to the general public!

... and not so general! :wink: Till I saw Bruford playing The Sheltering Sky (via Frejus VHS) I thought he was playing a bongo! :shock:
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby silentman on Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:41 pm

I don't know if anyone else has put this interview here before but you might find it helpfull :wink:
http://www.stalk.net/piano/502jm.htm

and

The few recordings of percussionist Jamie Muir
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
silentman
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby vrooom on Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:49 pm

Great first post, silentman.

:D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Crimsoid on Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:47 am

Silentman- this world is very small I see :D
Crimsoid

Postby octopus92 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:39 pm

Didn't know where to post this...
Read on Sid's blog : Fergus Hall, occasional painter and author of several sleeves of King Crimson's compilations ("The young persons' guide to King Crimson", "The Compact King Crimson") lives now in the same tibetan monastery where Jamie Muir was when he left King Crimson in early 1973 until late 70's... :roll:
octopus92
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby vrooom on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:50 am

While looking for some information about deceased Bonzo-bassman Dennis Cowan, I discovered an interview with Vivian Stanshall, which in turn led me to this 'ere interview.

http://www.terrascope.co.uk/MyBackPages ... 20DRUM.pdf

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni