free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Jamie Muir

Jamie Muir

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Jamie Muir

Postby Gilesfan on Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:50 am

One of the few members of King Crimson to only appear on one album, Jamie's little time in the band was an era in itself. I would almost venture to say that it was perhaps the most exploratory phase of the band, in terms of improvisation. I think Jamie's attitude, no doubt, influenced everyone else in the band to adopt this "no limits" approach to music.

I have no idea what he is up to now. I know he went and became a Buddhist or Tibetan monk, which I think said a lot about him. Could there have been some kind of spiritual connection between his musical personality and him later going on to become a monk? Who knows? However, King Crimson was going somewhere and Jamie left on his own without being pushed out (unlike others! :roll: ). Fripp said, "when confronted with the nonsense of life on the road, Jamie chose life". It's obvious Fripp holds him in high regard.

I have always thought it would be great to hear him play again.
However, has supposedly gotten rid of all of his percussion equipment. :cry:

Harry Shapiro's book A-Z of Rock Drummers refers to Jamie as,
"the man who made Syd Barrett look like a socialite." :lol:
Last edited by Gilesfan on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Muir

Postby octopus92 on Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:22 am

I've always thought that Jamie was the most intriguate man of the Crimson family. His influence on the group can still be heard in terms of approch (see Projekct One). The Larks quintet was, IMHO, the first Projekct really of Crimso. Now we've got 3 more CD thanks to KCCC (I'm very proud to say I wrote to Sid Smith and DGM when "Live at the Zoom Club" was in the can to say : the liner notes for this one have to be written by Jamie). I know he abandon the music some years ago but :
- he has been approched by Giles when the Schizzies project started but declined the offer.
- Giles said in the "Progress" CD liner notes that he has music played by the duet (other than the "Ghost dance" project).
- for the fans, there is a duo album with Derek Bailey when Jamie came back from his ten years or so of monastery (even Pat M get a copy of this one ).
I sincerely hope that Giles, if he decides to continue his Percussion project Orchestra, will think to his old mate Jamie...
We can dream...
octopus92
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Re: Muir

Postby Gilesfan on Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:30 am

octopus92 wrote:Giles said in the "Progress" CD liner notes that he has music played by the duet (other than the "Ghost dance" project).
- for the fans, there is a duo album with Derek Bailey when Jamie came back from his ten years or so of monastery (even Pat M get a copy of this one ).
I sincerely hope that Giles, if he decides to continue his Percussion project Orchestra, will think to his old mate Jamie...
We can dream...

We can dream indeed.

Why not a Percussionists of King Crimson ProjeKect? With everyone who has played drums/percussion in the band doing all percussion pieces and improvs. :D

Would be quite awesome. :shock:

I'd like to find that album with Derek Bailey. Long out of print, I am sure. Very much like to find Ghost Dance as well.

There's tons of Muir influence all over Progress, it sounds like. But then again, that could all be Mike's own ideas and influences.

I definitely hear tons of Muir influence on any drumming/percussion during 1973-74 King Crimson. In fact, I wonder if Bill's percussion set-up during that period (gong, windsheet, etc.) was inherited from Jamie?

I am curious as to whether anyone here has seen Jamie perform with King Crimson or anyone else.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Muir

Postby Dog_none on Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:04 am

Gilesfan wrote:I definitely hear tons of Muir influence on any drumming/percussion during 1973-74 King Crimson. In fact, I wonder if Bill's percussion set-up during that period (gong, windsheet, etc.) was inherited from Jamie?

Hasn't Bill made comments indicating that Jamie was more or less a "teacher" to him when he was in Crim? I can definitely hear a difference in Bill's drumming between his "Yesyears" & his "Crimyears". I'm sure a lot of that has to do with Muir.

Anyway, Muir is one of the reasons I like LTIA so much. He brought an entirely new dimension to the music & I have not heard any other music by any other artist that uses percussion so effectively.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Bailey / Muir

Postby octopus92 on Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:03 am

Gilesfan, you can find the duet album with Jamie on the Incus (Bailey company) website :
http://www.incusrecords.force9.co.uk/
It's called "Dart drug" and is a guitar/percussions duo album.
For those who want know where Jamie came from, there's on the same label the Music Improvisations Company "1968-1971" CD wher Jamie plays some impromptu drums with Derk Bailey, Evan Parker & Hugn Davies.
:wink:
octopus92
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby vrooom on Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:11 am

RE: Muir as BB's teacher

Hell yeah! If you listen to what BB was doing in Yes and then follow him through KC, you can hear him open up completely as a player. It is quite a transformation. Do you think you'd have got that splash cymbal on OMRN from Red without Muir? Nope - because BB started looking outside the standard drumkit.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby bazcrim on Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:42 am

I remember reading an interview with BB back in the mid 70's when he said that Jamie Muir reduced him to tears as he denigrated him about his drumming and that Muir's abilities were a revelation to him. He did learn a lot. Listen to what Muir is doing with found objects on Larks Toungues and then to the metal bashing on Red.
bazcrim

Postby Lemmings on Tue May 04, 2004 4:39 am

Hey is a crazy percussionist that is for sure!

His improvised work with Evan Parker is off the wall! :shock:
Lemmings

The Rich Tapestry of Life

Postby Gilesfan on Fri May 14, 2004 6:32 am

Earlier this week, I listened to KCCC #2 The Beat Club, Bremen 1972. I was simply amazed once again at Jamie's playing on "The Rich Tapestry of Life". This improvisation seems to be centered on him and mainly led by him. At times, on recordings with Jamie in the band, it can be a little unclear when it was him you are hearing or when it is Bill you are hearing. But listening more and more, it is becoming quite clear who is playing what and when.

Jamie also has amazing chops and amazing technique! :o While he does not display these often, when he does you certainly hear it.

Whew! :shock: What a tune that is! :D
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Jamie's equipment

Postby Gilesfan on Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:28 am

In light of the recent "Larks Tongues in Aspic Pt. 1" video post, I am drawn back to this thread.

I have been wondering what ever happened to Jamie's equipment. Some of the sounds heard from Bill on post-Jamie albums, lead one to believe Bill "adopted" some, or all of it. I think the windsheet and gongs Bill used were Jamie's. Some of the other "sounds" on Starless & Bible Black Red, USA and The Night Watch definitely sound like they were heard on (and probably played by Jamie) on Larks Tongues in Aspic and KCCC# 3: Live at The Beat Club, Bremen 1972.

Ebay maybe? :lol:
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to Alumni