free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Michael Giles

Michael Giles

What's an alumni? Is that what silver foil is made of? No, you buffoon - this is where you post about ex-members of the band.

Michael Giles

Postby Gilesfan on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:40 am

Although referred to as one of the founding members of the band, Michael Giles was always somewhat of a low profile musician and person. Although he wrote a journal for Melody Maker on the band's first U.S. tour in 1969, he kind of faded into oblivion after leaving the band. Did tons of sessions and never joined another "famous" band.

I had even heard rumors he later quit the music business and was selling used automobiles (which I am sure was a total nonsense!) somewhere in England, and it is true that very few (including E.G.) even knew where he was! :o

He also was rarely interviewed and never was seen endorsing drum/percussion companies.

So it was great and surprising that he joined 21st Century Schizoid Band! :D But I guess he had his reasons for leaving, and again he has kept an extremely low profile about the whole thing.

I hope we have not seen the last of this most underrated drummer/musician.

Hopefully, he will still put together his Percussion Ensemble! :D
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dog_none on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:39 pm

Michael Giles was a HUGE part in what made "Court" so magical. He just had an incredible feel which complimented the music perfectly. I don't think the album would have been nearly as good with any other drummer.

When I was first getting into this album, I was a drummer and a huge Rush fan. I used to play along with a lot of Rush, and I thought I was awesome because I could keep up with Peart. I still think Rush and Peart are great, but Gile's playing on "Court" opened my ears to a whole new dimension of drumming.

Giles was/is an artist.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Indyrod on Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:38 am

Gile's drumming on ITCOTCK is regarded as futuristic, and I would agree. Magic is another word that comes to mind. His work especially on "Court" and his pure excellence during the Dance of the Puppets is legendary. That's why he makes the initial releases of the 21stCSB so special. Ian Wallace picked it up with his own style, and that was welcome by Crimheads as well. Those clips at 21stCSB are amazing.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Lemmings on Tue May 04, 2004 4:44 am

Indyrod wrote:Gile's drumming on ITCOTCK is regarded as futuristic, and I would agree. Magic is another word that comes to mind. His work especially on "Court" and his pure excellence during the Dance of the Puppets is legendary. That's why he makes the initial releases of the 21stCSB so special. Ian Wallace picked it up with his own style, and that was welcome by Crimheads as well. Those clips at 21stCSB are amazing.

I pretty much agree with this whole damn assessment! I don't have much to say! :P
Lemmings

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue May 04, 2004 1:43 pm

I always like to point out how amazing his drumming was on Poseidon since it is seldom mentioned. Program your CD player (or mp3 device) for "In The Wake of Poseidon" and "Cat Food", sit down and just listen to the drumming, and you'll see what I mean. I'm far from being an expert in the nuances of percussion, but I don't think very many players (if any) were doing what Giles was doing, in a rock idiom at least, in 1969 and 1970.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Gilesfan on Wed May 05, 2004 11:19 am

MiKcrobe wrote:I always like to point out how amazing his drumming was on Poseidon since it is seldom mentioned. Program your CD player (or mp3 device) for "In The Wake of Poseidon" and "Cat Food", sit down and just listen to the drumming, and you'll see what I mean. I'm far from being an expert in the nuances of percussion, but I don't think very many players (if any) were doing what Giles was doing, in a rock idiom at least, in 1969 and 1970.

His playing on those tracks is years ahead of its time.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:03 am

Does anyone have the Jackson Heights albums Mike is on? If so, how are they?
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Michael Giles

Postby Gilesfan on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:49 am

Never heard this group, but heard of them. Another session Michael did which shows his impeccable taste in playing. You could never get away with playing the drums like this nowadays. No wonder he quit music! Check out the rolls!

Jackson Heights

Nice tune!
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Michael Giles

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:14 am

I am still amazed at how little Michael gets covered in the music press. Never on the cover of Modern Drummer magazine, never interviewed in any major music magazines and never invited to do clinics. The last reason is mainly because he is not a an endorsee of any drum companies. Nor has he chased fame of any sort. Yet, one of the greatest drummers/percussionists ever.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Alumni