free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - What scale TDOTT uses....?

What scale TDOTT uses....?

Seen something about the guy that looks like a mushroom? Perhaps you just want to comment on his diaries? Post all that Fripperholic stuff here.

What scale TDOTT uses....?

Postby Nivek on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:51 pm

Does anyone know what scale(s) the deception of the thrush uses? When I enter it (the power to believe III) into a scale finder I usually get half diminished scales and whatnot. What are your guy's thoughts?
wat no COHEED AND CAMBRIA?!?!!
These guys are just OLD. Doesn't mean if your old your any good. Look at John Mc Cain
Nivek
ProjeKction Regular

Re: What scale TDOTT uses....?

Postby Riverman on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:27 pm

3PP is the only Crimson song I've actually tried playing myself. It never occurred to me to try "Thrush," and I honestly don't think I'd really want to.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Nivek on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:41 pm

Well, thrush is improved (for the most part) So I was thinking of playing along to live recordings in the same key. Thing is, Fripp changes scales and whatnot so it's a bitch to keep up lol.
These guys are just OLD. Doesn't mean if your old your any good. Look at John Mc Cain
Nivek
ProjeKction Regular

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:27 pm

Nivek wrote:Well, thrush is improved (for the most part) So I was thinking of playing along to live recordings in the same key. Thing is, Fripp changes scales and whatnot so it's a bitch to keep up lol.

I've never thought about playing it either. But don't all the versions have common organizational elements, like each section starting with the same tonal center each time? I know there are chord voicings Fripp uses repeatedly during the opening section, just from listening. Very little of the ProjeKct stuff is truly freely improvised: remember the idea was to develop tunes for King Crimson to play. So when a title recurs, it means they've got some material they're working with each time they play it.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Nivek on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:34 pm

MarkSullivan wrote:
Nivek wrote:Well, thrush is improved (for the most part) So I was thinking of playing along to live recordings in the same key. Thing is, Fripp changes scales and whatnot so it's a bitch to keep up lol.

I've never thought about playing it either. But don't all the versions have common organizational elements, like each section starting with the same tonal center each time? I know there are chord voicings Fripp uses repeatedly during the opening section, just from listening. Very little of the ProjeKct stuff is truly freely improvised: remember the idea was to develop tunes for King Crimson to play. So when a title recurs, it means they've got some material they're working with each time they play it.

Yes, I do recognize some tonal centers during parts. I'm amazed listening to old versions of the song and see how it's evolved into this creeping, tempo-shifting beast.
Nivek
ProjeKction Regular

Return to Fripp