free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - League of Gentlemen

League of Gentlemen

Seen something about the guy that looks like a mushroom? Perhaps you just want to comment on his diaries? Post all that Fripperholic stuff here.

League of Gentlemen

Postby Indyrod on Thu May 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Just heard on my XM radio, and now watching the video on youtube of "Inductive Resonance", which blew me away. What the fuck CD is that on, or video, whatever? That is one killer ass song. :wank:

Inductive Resonance
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Re: League of Gentlemen

Postby vrooom on Thu May 15, 2008 6:46 pm

It's on the CD compilation "God Save the King" which brings together "Under Heavy Manners/God Save the Queen" and the only LoG album entitled "League of Gentlemen". All of these are out of print.

I've got the albums etc, but I remember a few years back finding a 99p cassette copy of the LoG album on eBay and making a fairly decent digital copy, which I "remastered" using some mastering software. I posted a clip of my doings on this very site but then got told off by Sid Smith for being a very naughty boy. :oops: Genesis or Marillion fans on their official forums don't get treated like this! :D

But yeah, the League of Gentlemen stuff (in my opinion) is much more interesting to listen to (Fripp wise) than Discipline. Yes, I know that's heresy for some of you, but those League tunes are powerful and really demonstrate Fripp's weird take on melody. Get the official bootleg CD album from DGM for a demonstration of the power of that band. Heavier and dirtier and funkier than '81 Crimson you'll find.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Thu May 15, 2008 7:33 pm

I have "Robert Fripp & The League of Crafty Guitarists - Intergalactic Boogie Express", which is dynamite, and "VHS Video - Robert Fripp and the League of Crafty Guitarists (Careful With That Axe)". Hopefully they re-release that "God Save the Queen" sometime in the near future, I would really like to have it. :cry:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Yorkshire Square on Thu May 15, 2008 9:40 pm

Indy, there is absolutely no correlation between LOG and LOCG other than Fripp and the word "League". It's like confusing Nelson with Nelson Mandela. Or something like that, anyway... :oops:

As our beloved paper-boy points out, "God Save the King" is a compilation of "God Save the Queen/Under Heavy Manners" and "LOG". What he didn't make clear was that "GSTQ" is not by the League of Gentlemen either, but more of a solo Frippertronics work (was it billed as "Discotronics" at some point?). Anyway it was part of the "Faffing around toward 1981" and the "Coasting, as Ade does all the leg work, to 1984" thing that Fripp was going through at the time. I honestly cannot see "GSTK" being rereleased never mind "GSTQ". As far as I know, "GSTQ" never made it to CD. If they ever were to resurface, I suspect it would be a download.

"God Save the King" was released on CD (Editions EG EEGCD9 1985). I picked up a copy on e-bay quite cheaply and found it to be a Russian copy. Subsequently I got a proper copy for a fiver or so at the same place. It's worth getting hold of the CD if only to see Fripp looking a right tit in white trousers and black vest top. As well as the Official Bootleg CD, "Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx", there are three downloads available at DGMLive and a "Stormy's Monday" free track. I have the Bournmouth show and can heartily recommend! A must for any Fripp fan-boy. Unlike the League of Crafties... :wink:
Last edited by Yorkshire Square on Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby vrooom on Thu May 15, 2008 9:54 pm

I did make it clear. I said "the only LoG album", which I thought adequately separated it from "Under Heavy Manners/God Save the Queen". Anyway, I sent a PM to Indy with more details.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Riverman on Fri May 16, 2008 1:57 am

Yorkshire Square wrote:It's like confusing Nelson with Nelson Mandela.

Or, say, confusing Beck with Jeff Beck. But yours is funnier.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Fri May 16, 2008 4:26 am

Indyrod wrote:Just heard on my XM radio, and now watching the video on youtube of "Inductive Resonance", which blew me away. What the fuck CD is that on, or video, whatever? That is one killer ass song. :wank:

Inductive Resonance

The music is from LOG but the players are not...
1. The guy on the left isn't Fripp: he moves too much and isn't seated.
2. Maybe the guy in the shadow, but he looks as bald as Belew.
3. The bass player isn't Sara Lee
4. The video description says the performance is from 1989, but did they play after 80/81?
Last edited by diderot on Fri May 16, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Fri May 16, 2008 6:30 am

Indeed. That isn't them. I didn't bother to check the YouTube clip - though there was a corking LoG performance video on there somewhere, but it seems to have gone missing. I might have that somewhere on my hard drive.

EDIT: Yes, here it is -

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby RYG on Fri May 16, 2008 1:54 pm

I didn't see it mentioned below but there is a full show of LoG to download with about 16 tracks with 2 versions of Inductive Resonance on it. It was made available about two months back. I got it and is worth spending the 10 bucks on. I hadn't heard LoG before this so I was rather blown away by it.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby vrooom on Fri May 16, 2008 2:19 pm

All the LoG stuff is worth a listen. It's raw and, a bit like Sylvian/Fripp and BLUE, it has more Crimson in it than most might think.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Next

Return to Fripp