free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Fripp... Octaves

Fripp... Octaves

Seen something about the guy that looks like a mushroom? Perhaps you just want to comment on his diaries? Post all that Fripperholic stuff here.

Fripp... Octaves

Postby Unsouled on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:27 am

According to some people and places, Fripp occasionally plays octaves very quickly, such as in 21st Century Schizoid Man (2:28) and The Great Deceiver (0:17). Maybe it's bad recording, maybe I'm deaf, but I don't think these are octaves - I think they're on a single string. I certainly don't hear octaves. For example, in The Great Deceiver, it sounds like a guitar and violin playing the octaves, but not one instrument.

However, maybe they are, which brings me to my question, dealing with the technique of playing octaves on a guitar. How should I go about playing these so quickly? Obviously, through practice, but is there an "ideal" way of playing them? I've been using fingers one and three on the octave strings, muting with my second as well as my first finger (at an angle) in order to avoid harmonics. I don't have a teacher, so I don't know - is this a "proper" way of playing them? Is there a "better" way? Does it not really matter?
Unsouled
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Re: Fripp... Octaves

Postby Dog_none on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:41 am

I think it has a lot to do with the way you hold your pick. Or pick your hole. Or something.

Sorry. I don't even know why I responded. I know about 5 chords on the guitar and I can only make myself sound decent by turning on multiple effects pedals.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby crimcinnaman on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:53 am

Hey, I got it!

Maybe one of the Admins can unban Laz so he can tell this poor unsouled fellow how to do some proper woodshedding?
"My Child is an Honor Student
My President is a Moron"
crimcinnaman
ProjeKction Champion

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:14 am

Dog_none wrote:I can only make myself sound decent by turning on multiple effects pedals.

That's how I do it and that's how Fripp does it too... :P

crimcinnaman wrote:Maybe one of the Admins can unban Laz so he can tell this poor unsouled fellow how to do some proper woodshedding?

I don't think he's banned anymore, but his account was deleted. When I updated the board, I unbanned all the IP addresses to see how effective the new board was against the spammers. So who knows, he might already be lurking out there watching us...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MarkSullivan on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Unsouled wrote:According to some people and places, Fripp occasionally plays octaves very quickly, such as in 21st Century Schizoid Man (2:28) and The Great Deceiver (0:17). Maybe it's bad recording, maybe I'm deaf, but I don't think these are octaves - I think they're on a single string. I certainly don't hear octaves. For example, in The Great Deceiver, it sounds like a guitar and violin playing the octaves, but not one instrument.

However, maybe they are, which brings me to my question, dealing with the technique of playing octaves on a guitar. How should I go about playing these so quickly? Obviously, through practice, but is there an "ideal" way of playing them? I've been using fingers one and three on the octave strings, muting with my second as well as my first finger (at an angle) in order to avoid harmonics. I don't have a teacher, so I don't know - is this a "proper" way of playing them? Is there a "better" way? Does it not really matter?

I definitely hear octaves in the 80s live versions of Schizoid. I tried it myself, and it's possible, but would require more practice than it's worth. As to your technical question: sounds like you're playing octaves correctly. Like everything else, playing them cleanly and fast is a matter of lots of practice. The goal is to be able to move that pair of fingers as easily as playing single lines. Try listening to some Wes Montgomery to hear how that can sound!
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Unsouled on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Alright, thanks!

Where can I find 80's live versions of Schizoid? Not something I can find on Wikipedia I suppose...
Unsouled
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Yorkshire Square on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:30 pm

MarkSullivan wrote:I definitely hear octaves in the 80s live versions of Schizoid...

:?

In all the KCCC (as far as #35) I can find no post '74 Schizoid. I also have a good dozen or so downloads, principally DGMLive, from the 80's and can find none there either. In fact the only post '74 21CSM I can find is the P2 Live Groove track.

Any pointers, Mark?
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Riverman on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:57 pm

I don't believe they ever played 21CSM between '74 and '96.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Too bad we don't have "King Crimson Live" any more for such questions. :|
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby evktalo on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:35 pm

80s KC only rehearsed Schizoid Man, but didn't play it live. Suppose it didn't work out with that band. (Source for this I guess is Sid's book, I don't remember so well.)

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Next

Return to Fripp