free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Exposure

Exposure

Seen something about the guy that looks like a mushroom? Perhaps you just want to comment on his diaries? Post all that Fripperholic stuff here.

Postby MiKcrobe on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:46 pm

So is there any way to get the lyrics to "New York New York New York" and "Disengage II"? I wonder why RF didn't put them in the liner notes of the remaster.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby vrooom on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:46 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:So is there any way to get the lyrics to "New York New York New York" and "Disengage II"? I wonder why RF didn't put them in the liner notes of the remaster.

I mentioned this is in my review. I guess you could log a request at the DGM Helpline, sorry Forum, and Sid Scrote will duly display your query only for it to be ignored. In the meantime, I will endeavour to transcribe an unofficial version of the lyrics for you, MiK.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MiKcrobe on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:33 pm

vrooom wrote:
MiKcrobe wrote:So is there any way to get the lyrics to "New York New York New York" and "Disengage II"? I wonder why RF didn't put them in the liner notes of the remaster.

I mentioned this is in my review. I guess you could log a request at the DGM Helpline, sorry Forum, and Sid Scrote will duly display your query only for it to be ignored. In the meantime, I will endeavour to transcribe an unofficial version of the lyrics for you, MiK.

Darren

Thanks! Yes, I did read your review at the time you first posted it, but I had forgotten that you mentioned those missing lyrics. I was listening to this last night and started wondering again about the words. I assume both lyrics are also by Joanna Walton? She had quite a way with words. "I lean in the window. She leans on the wind." She would have been the perfect lyricist for KC during the 80s I think. An opportunity tragically missed.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby MarkSullivan on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:17 pm

MiKcrobe wrote: I was listening to this last night and started wondering again about the words. I assume both lyrics are also by Joanna Walton? She had quite a way with words. "I lean in the window. She leans on the wind." She would have been the perfect lyricist for KC during the 80s I think. An opportunity tragically missed.

Totally agree. When I posted my ravings a few days ago, I completely forgot to mention the lyrics. Better than any of the KC lyricists, I'd say, not just the 80s.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:04 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote:PG2 is my favourite PG album (although PG's least favourite I believe). The production is a million miles away from PG1 in style (produced by Bob Ezrin of Pink Floyd fame), but both albums are excellent.

I knew Bob Ezrin from Alice Cooper fame, not being so surprised when I found him producing Peter Gabriel, but it was kind of shock when I found him producing Pink Floyd...

He produced Lou Reed's Berlin too, that I like a lot.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:39 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:[Joanna] had quite a way with words. "I lean in the window. She leans on the wind." She would have been the perfect lyricist for KC during the 80s I think. An opportunity tragically missed.

Even more so than their other guest lyricist? Does she actually eclipse the sheer poetic majesty of "Two Hands"?

Ummm, ok. Yeah. She does.

Not sure whether Joanna would have been a better fit than Adrian, but it would have been interesting to see how her words would have gone with that Crim. Alas.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:56 pm

This is the best I could do for those lyrics, the New York one being particularly garbled in places:

Disengage II

I scream and aim it backwards
And invest it in italics
But there is no reverberation

My pulse quickens and I slacken
As the world begins to blacken
In my mind is the retention
Of my morbid self-comprehension

Disengage
Disengage
Disengage

I jump in ancient movements
I dissipate inaction fragmented inner fractions
As I stumble at the night

There’s more pricks than kicks in life

The silent man speaks slowly
As stubborn as the word
His voice is overwhelming
Until it can’t be heard

He searches for a distraction
A plan to ruin our lines
Self inventing while he chatters
He chatters

Disengage
Disengage
Disengage

Married Marion is sick with her servant
Behind locked doors over coffee they speak
They did nothing my sister my parents
They’ve been taking away what I say

New York New York New York

She said she wanted to scream in the forest
But she was too frightened that no one would hear
Instead she screamed on the corner
And I could almost hear she cared

New York New York New York
In New York New York New York

She knows it’s a lousy here for me
But she can’t believe or live anywhere else
Their eyes are like white explosives
And she looks around there for help

Adding a field out here
Hanging on maybe
You’re the last one of us to feel

A delivery comes to the garden
So you are all alone with your fear

Darren

PS. Feel free to chip in with any corrections because I am sure I misheard some of those words...
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby scorched earth on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:17 am

Without Bob Ezrin, Tony Levin wouldn't be playing with either Gabriel or Crimson (Levin had previously worked with Ezrin on Lou Reed and Alice Cooper sessions). Peter Gabriel made the choice of producer and in going for Alice Cooper's (Kiss's etc.) producer, he sure wasn't aiming for something that would please Genesis fans.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:43 am

scorched earth wrote:Without Bob Ezrin, Tony Levin wouldn't be playing with either Gabriel or Crimson (Levin had previously worked with Ezrin on Lou Reed and Alice Cooper sessions). Peter Gabriel made the choice of producer and in going for Alice Cooper's (Kiss's etc.) producer, he sure wasn't aiming for something that would please Genesis fans.

Eh, I still can't stand Bob Ezrin as a producer...and in an alternate reality Jeff Berlin is playing with King Crimson instead of Levin.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Owen on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:08 am

vrooom wrote:...and in an alternate reality Jeff Berlin is playing with King Crimson instead of Levin.

Oh! Thank Christ that's an alternate reality!

Have you listened to Jeff on BB's Gradually Going Tornado? Horrible horrible over-busy ego-massaging to the nth degree. I'd rather listen to Carnivore's classic track Jack Daniels and Pizza on endless replay... and if you've heard that you know exactly what I mean.

O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Fripp