free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Exposure

Exposure

Seen something about the guy that looks like a mushroom? Perhaps you just want to comment on his diaries? Post all that Fripperholic stuff here.

Postby Yorkshire Square on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:07 am

Riverman wrote:I like it, but I don't think it's appropriate either...

:?
Believe me, when RF says it is not "appropriate" it means he doesn't like it. Simple as that. It's a middle-class, South of England thing. :lol:

Riverman wrote:The grand-sweeping-epic approach doesn't fit the tune, but the minimal touch definitely does.

I'd disagree and say that both styles are appropriate. The PG version fits in with the album as a whole and comes in a flood of (Pink Floyd style?) guitar and booming drums.

The RF version is actually more an "after the flood" desert-island type thing, more sombre and sad. And of course it accomodates Water Music more appropriately...
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:11 pm

I'm not sure if the minimalist approach was actually Fripp's idea. PG recorded a piano-only version of the song ("Jetzt kommt die Flut") when he did the German language tracks, plus that was the way he was performing it live when Fripp was touring with him as "mystery guest" Dusty Rhodes. I think that when Fripp elected to include it on Exposure, he merely chose the second version. I don't particularly care for the original version myself, but I like both PG's and Fripp's versions of "Exposure" about the same.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Riverman on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:52 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:I'm not sure if the minimalist approach was actually Fripp's idea. PG recorded a piano-only version of the song ("Jetzt kommt die Flut") when he did the German language tracks, plus that was the way he was performing it live when Fripp was touring with him as "mystery guest" Dusty Rhodes. I think that when Fripp elected to include it on Exposure, he merely chose the second version.

That's what I was thinking. Peter seems to prefer the quiet version too, since he's always performed it that way from the pre-Exposure period up to the present day.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:03 pm

It is common knowledge that PG I was never Gabriel's vision. Bob Ezrin took over control of that project, such was his influence, and created an album that was more in line with what he thought a Peter Gabriel album should sound like. Gabriel was too reserved to confront Ezrin and so it all sounds a bit MOR Radio Lite. This is why Gabriel employed Fripp as second producer because he wanted someone he could trust. Of course, that didn't turn out how Gabriel expected, which is a shame because I really like the urgentcy and immediacy of PG II.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MarkSullivan on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:56 pm

Just answered my own question about the original running order by revisiting this page:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~frippertronics/F ... rities.htm

It's an analysis of a test pressing of the 1978 edition which was never released. Apparently it's not possible to completely duplicate the original version, because there are takes that differ from any of the versions on the Exposure remaster. But using all the Daryl Hall vocals and altering the track order would come close. I plan to try it myself.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:58 pm

vrooom wrote:It is common knowledge that PG I was never Gabriel's vision. Bob Ezrin took over control of that project, such was his influence, and created an album that was more in line with what he thought a Peter Gabriel album should sound like.

That's unfortunate. As a Genesis fan, I remember the anticipation when I learned that PG was releasing a solo album. The record was somewhat of a let-down, actually. It may have been what Ezrin thought a PG album should sound like, but it certainly wasn't close to what Genesis fans thought it should sound like.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby vrooom on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:13 pm

If I remember correctly, Bob Ezrin also wanted Bopping Bobby removed from the project because he didn't like him/thought he was unsuitable, etc. Like I said before, "Damn Bob Ezrin's eyes!"

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MarkSullivan on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:59 pm

vrooom wrote:If I remember correctly, Bob Ezrin also wanted Bopping Bobby removed from the project because he didn't like him/thought he was unsuitable, etc. Like I said before, "Damn Bob Ezrin's eyes!"

Darren

Well, he damn near did remove Fripp, didn't he? If Fripp is present in the mix anywhere, he wasn't allowed to do any of his characteristic "irritant" guitar playing.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:34 am

MarkSullivan wrote:Well, he damn near did remove Fripp, didn't he?

Almost, but I'm glad he didn't completely. "Solsbury Hill" and "Modern Love" would really lose something without RF.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:06 am

At that time, RF was hired as a guitar player and not Robert Fripp, if you know what I mean. But yes, I guess Ezrin did leave him out of the mix somewhat. I always wondered where RF got that particular idea from and now I know. :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

PreviousNext

Return to Fripp