free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Exposure

Exposure

Seen something about the guy that looks like a mushroom? Perhaps you just want to comment on his diaries? Post all that Fripperholic stuff here.

Postby MiKcrobe on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:48 pm

The Crimson Fox wrote:I actually listened to the original CD version of Exposure in the car today!! I've not yet bought the remastered version.

I would definately recommend it!!

The problem is, by the time it came out on CD, it was no longer "the original version." You should get the remaster.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby MarkSullivan on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:49 pm

I know I'm coming really late to the party, but I finally got the remaster this weekend (they had it at Border's and were offering 30% off any purchase when you signed up for a free Border's frequent customer card, which brought the net cost down to about $13). The first thing I realized was how much personal connection I feel to the record: it brings back a period when I was single and more heavily involved in music than I am now, and it does so more strongly than any other Fripp recording. So it feels autobiographical to me in a sense, and I'm probably not as objective as usual.

I've listened to the whole thing once, and several of the alternate tracks twice, and I think it's the best recording Fripp has ever been involved with. That's how good it is. I'd have been happy with a simple remastering of the original LP edition (which is Version 1 on Disc 1), but the alternates are interesting enough to justify the second disc, and I love all the period documentation in the booklet. The performances are simply stunning. It's got everything: ferocious energy, heartbreaking beauty, humor, existential despair, abstraction, and raw rock 'n roll.

I don't have any serious disagreement with the versions included. Since I never heard the Version 2 that appeared on CD originally, I don't miss it here (plus it could be programmed on most CD players without much trouble). I like the idea of Fripp presenting a fresh Version 3 instead. I might have chosen to make it an all-Daryl Hall edition, but I can get that by substituting two alternate tracks in the running order of Version 3, which I intend to do the next time I listen to it.

Complaints? I'd like to have seen the original Heartthrob running order at least listed. If all of the tracks are here, it would have been interesting to try them in that order. Another question I've always had remains unanswered: what was Peter Gabriel's involvement in the title track? He's credited as co-writer, but none of the versions include him as a performer. Those questions aside, this is one of the best reissues I've ever bought.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:53 pm

MarkSullivan wrote: The first thing I realized was how much personal connection I feel to the record. So it feels autobiographical to me in a sense, and I'm probably not as objective as usual.

That's very much the same way I feel about the record. There are themes on it that tally up with what I was feeling at the time as a moody seventeen year old. It was also the first step on the journey to the Greater Crim.

MarkSullivan wrote:Another question I've always had remains unanswered: what was Peter Gabriel's involvement in the title track? He's credited as co-writer, but none of the versions include him as a performer. Those questions aside, this is one of the best reissues I've ever bought.

For that question to be answered, you need to acquaint yourself with the "Peter Gabriel II" album where "Exposure" exists as a PG track with him doing the vox. ;-) It's all part of the MOR trilogy, dude.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby diderot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:58 pm

vrooom wrote:
MarkSullivan wrote:Another question I've always had remains unanswered: what was Peter Gabriel's involvement in the title track? He's credited as co-writer, but none of the versions include him as a performer. Those questions aside, this is one of the best reissues I've ever bought.

For that question to be answered, you need to acquaint yourself with the "Peter Gabriel II" album where "Exposure" exists as a PG track with him doing the vox. ;-) It's all part of the MOR trilogy, dude.

What about Here Comes the Flood version in his first solo album? The MOR quadrilogy? :roll:
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:51 am

vrooom wrote:

Darren

Well, that's what I get for not listening to something for close to 30 years. I actually still have PG II on LP, and just unearthed it. So later tonight I'll get my answer. This is only one of many things which I have forgotten.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Yorkshire Square on Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:04 am

diderot wrote:
vrooom wrote:

What about Here Comes the Flood version in his first solo album? The MOR quadrilogy? :roll:

I read recently (his diary?) that RF didn't feel that the original version of "Flood" was "appropriate". A posh way of saying he didn't like it.

Obviously he couldn't get PG to rerecord a more "appropriate" version and put it on PG2, so I suspect RF offered his third of pie to the stripped down version.

PG2 is my favourite PG album (although PG's least favourite I believe). The production is a million miles away from PG1 in style (produced by Bob Ezrin of Pink Floyd fame), but both albums are excellent.

PG remastered his back catalogue about three or four years ago, and I pick all mine up at bargain prices (£3.99/£4.99). Well worth upgrading in my opinion, especially PG4 ("Security" for you guys over the pond) where my original CD was abysmal.
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:49 pm

I'd like to add that in the First Edition, PG's voice is in the mix, sort of a low growl, slowed waaaaay down. Listen closely. It's gone in the remix.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:01 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:

I'd like to add that in the First Edition, PG's voice is in the mix, sort of a low growl, slowed waaaaay down. Listen closely. It's gone in the remix.

Interesting; I'll have to check that out. I did listen to the PG LP version of "Exposure" last night, and I have to wonder if the reason Fripp redid it was that he wasn't happy with that version, either. I like the Fripp remake much better, even though it's built on the same backing tracks. Maybe that's why I'd completely forgotten it! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :wink:
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote:I read recently (his diary?) that RF didn't feel that the original version of "Flood" was "appropriate". A posh way of saying he didn't like it.

I like it, but I don't think it's appropriate either. The grand-sweeping-epic approach doesn't fit the tune, but the minimal touch definitely does.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:59 pm

Grrrr...damn Bob Ezrin's eyes....grrrr....

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

PreviousNext

Return to Fripp