free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx - LoG

Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx - LoG

Seen something about the guy that looks like a mushroom? Perhaps you just want to comment on his diaries? Post all that Fripperholic stuff here.

Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx - LoG

Postby Fred Zappelin on Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:47 pm

I thought this would be the place to mention this instead of the "Albums" which is strictly KC.

When was the last time this was available at DGM? I don't think they've had it for awhile, seems to be OOP elsewhere. I'd like to get this one more than the studio album. Any thoughts on this "live bootleg"?
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby vrooom on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:05 pm

I must admit I haven't seen this title on the record shelves for quite a while.

Despite being bootleg quality with lots of compression and some studio mullarkey to sweeten the sound, it is quite a nice little disc. I've always had a soft-spot for LoG (even though RF doesn't particular like this period).

I am not sure if it is representative of a true concert because I believe it is made up of a couple of gigs (anyone help me out here as I don't have my copy to hand?). If you are familiar with the LoG album, you get those tracks including an instrumental version of Minor Man, plus a few new tracks that were never recorded in the studio, my favourite of these has to be the sublime "Farewell Johnny Brill" which manages to combine soul and funk. In fact, I have the track playing as I type and the guitar solo is just putting a shiver up my spine.

Man, THIS is the reason I like Robert Fripp. Sometimes I forget. And for that I apologise. He's talking to me with his guitar again. He hasn't done that for a long, long time (with the exception of the solo on TPTB II).

For a second-hand copy, check out http://www.gemm.com. They do appear on eBay too. You can sometimes get a UK copy for around 10 quid (which is about $20).

Happy hunting,

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Chip Orr on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:24 pm

I'm with Darren. This is a must-have, and "Farewell Johnny Brill" is indeed a highlight.
Chip Orr
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Fred Zappelin on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:26 pm

I'll find it eventually. I just found a nice, clean copy of "Exposure" on vinyl cheap, I think it's an original. Also got Gates Of Paradise half price on half.com. Been enjoying those, figured the LoG should be next.

I really hate it when independent labels let their own releases stay out of print. They should put them up as free MP3s if they can't be bothered with pressing more discs. I'd still buy the CD though, even if I heard a free MP3.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:00 am

If TTG is indeed out of print and hard to find, I can burn copies. Drop me a PM.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby aspic tongue on Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:37 pm

RF's playing on this disk is unbelieveable. I believe this is the last recording featuring his old Les Paul and pedalboard . This cd has more burning RF solos on it than on all KC records combined some of which are so intense it's downright scary. RF at the peak of his powers- if you're into RF and you've never heard this disk get it anyway you can!
aspic tongue
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby MiKcrobe on Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:23 pm

I'd like to see a reissue of this and the rest of the LOG stuff as well. But I'm not holding my breath. I hate it that when Fripp gets pissed off at someone, he blackballs his own recordings that feature that individual. First he rewrote history by re-recording Gordon Haskell's vocals on the track(s) included on Frame By Frame, then he's pissed at Barry Andrews for some unknown reason and not only does he not release LOG on CD, but distills it down to a compilation that few people are satisfied with, then allows it and TTG to go out of print. And let's not forget that on his own album, Exposure, he remixed Andrews' organ playing way down if not completely out of the mix.

Let's hope he never has it out with, say, Bill Bruford and Adrian Belew, otherwise we would not be allowed to purchase any KC material released after 1972! :shock: Good heavens, what would TCA do then! :wink:
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby vrooom on Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:04 pm

He got pissed at Barry Andrews because of "girlfriend trouble", I believe. Sometimes, you just gotta keep it in yer pants... :roll:

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Fred Zappelin on Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:29 pm

Well, after a few months of net-searching I got this CD (still sealed) in the mail today. Will be listening tonight. Paid $18 + shipping, the store is http://www.ab-cd.com.

They're based in Florida now, last time I ordered a few years back they were in Connecticut. They mainly deal with rare CDs, it took them about 2 weeks to get it in. It was listed as 1- 3 days and I was starting to doubt they'd find it, but they did.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Re: Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx - LoG

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Fred Zappelin wrote:I thought this would be the place to mention this instead of the "Albums" which is strictly KC.

When was the last time this was available at DGM? I don't think they've had it for awhile, seems to be OOP elsewhere. I'd like to get this one more than the studio album. Any thoughts on this "live bootleg"?

FZ,

TUE. MARCH 1/2005/13:09 E.S.T.

To my ear, the LP version of THIS FRIPP: “THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN� & “THRANG THRANG GOZINBULX� are desert island discs, with the latter being 1 of the best live albums I have ever heard.

I was made to wish that I had been present @ their concerts (although I still longed to hear MS. SARA LEA sing the DANIELLE DAX lyrics to “MINOR MAN�!)
MALCOLM XERXES™

Return to Fripp