free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Fripp and the G3 tour

Fripp and the G3 tour

Seen something about the guy that looks like a mushroom? Perhaps you just want to comment on his diaries? Post all that Fripperholic stuff here.

Fripp and the G3 tour

Postby Sozzle on Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:02 pm

Sounds like Robert is not getting a good response to his soundscapes with the Vai/Satch audience. I was worried about this when I first heard he was performing on G3. I've seen Vai and Satch on several occasions over the years and it didn't seem to me that thier core audience would have the patience for soundscapes. I bet they enjoy Fripps "shredding" during the jam though. I'd like to hear some of what Robert is doing during that final jam.

Robert says in his diary that the booing doesn't upset him unless he feels he hasn't played well. Good attitude I suppose. It would probably bug me! Anyone have thoughts on this?
Sozzle
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby vrooom on Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:08 pm

Some folks aren't going to sit there and put up with RF's bleeping and blooping. Let's face it, some of us are educated to it and think it has some musical/spiritual/artistic value. Those who haven't experienced King Crimson or Robert Fripp are just going to balk at this old guy on stage making noises. I guess it is a question of education.

Booing is unfortunate, but I know from experience that RF reacts to his environment when performing soundscapes. In London 2000, the soundscape before the show was terrifying and not very pleasant and I like to think it reflected his horror of playing London.

In Paris 2003, the soundscape was meditative, calming and transporting. I came away from it without any nightmares!

Personally, I am approaching G3 from the completely other perspective. I know very little about Joe Satriani or Steve Vai. I've seen their pictures in guitar magazines, but what they do doesn't interest me. I don't particularly get off on "shredders". So can you imagine what it is going to be like for me?

I shall be cheering RF and booing JS and SV!

Darren

PS. No I won't be booing because my mum brought me up to be respectful of people. I only boo the baddies at pantomime. :D
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Chip Orr on Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:03 pm

I saw Fripp "open" for G3 in 1998 in San Antonio Texas. G3 then consisted of Kenny Wayne Shepard, Vai, and Satriani. Fripp was playing soundscapes even before the doors opened to allow audience members to enter the hall. I was first in, knowing that this was SOP. I plopped down directly in front of Fripp and listened attentively for awhile, then retreated to my assigned seat toward the back. I think I was the only one there to see Fripp, as no one else seemed to pay any attention.

I endured Kenny Ray Vaughn Shepard, but couldn't make it through Steve Vai's set. He's got chops, to be sure, but he posed too much for my taste. (He had a fan set up at the front of the stage that he would stand in front of so that his long hair would fly back as he shredded. For me, yawn.)

Like Darren, I don't boo. I just left. Didn't see Satriani or the G3 jam (which I understand Fripp participated in).
Chip Orr
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Owen on Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:05 pm

This below from Andrew Keeling's Diary on that other KC site...

Friday, June 25 2004

Brother-in-law Geoff and I went to hear G3 last evening in Manchester. The concert was sold out. Robert Fripp had very kindly left tickets for us at the box-office. Fripp played one of the most beautifully moving Soundscapes I've heard. Quite what it was about this music is hard to define, but I was moved to tears. The music had presence. The audience, in the main, listened. Steve Vai and Joe Satriani each came on and played their sets of around 50 minutes each. They both seem very nice people and are, undoubtedly, professionals connected with the 19th century phenomenon of the virtuoso musician. The music is fast, modally based and was well received. RF returned for Satriani's last song. The harmonic language was immediately intensified. In the encores, JS, SV and RF played a version of Red. It was terrific proving this piece will outlast much other music in the metal style. But the triumph of the evening, for me, was the Soundscapes. We were invited to meet and greet the players but couldn't: carparking problems and a day of teaching today.
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby bongo on Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:24 am

it is amazing that people who know the calliber of genious that satch possesses, would not know the genious and legendary status of a frippertronics sound scape if it bit them on the ass! it just pissed me off when i found out that he did not get the kind of respect he deserved!

-b0n9O
"get along little doggy."
bongo
ProjeKction Champion

Return to Fripp