free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Contradictory old bugger or what?

Contradictory old bugger or what?

Seen something about the guy that looks like a mushroom? Perhaps you just want to comment on his diaries? Post all that Fripperholic stuff here.

Contradictory old bugger or what?

Postby Yorkshire Square on Sun May 09, 2004 9:00 pm

On 7 May that Fripp wrote:The bank called at 08.55 while I was in the kitchen: DGM "has exceeded its limit". Perhaps we should economise on the expense of sleeping arrangements in the office. Perhaps the old orange curtain, the "blanket" that keeps my toes nice and toasty, could be auctioned on e-Bay & the proceeds go to reduce our overdraft. On e-Bay, DGM could sell several old orange curtains, and all of them unique.

So who said "Honour our commitments" then?
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Absinthe on Sun May 09, 2004 9:12 pm

ROFL Yorkie!

I bet he just wants to sell his old stuff on ebay so he can buy new stuff. He learned that from Darren. ;)
Absinthe

Postby vrooom on Sun May 09, 2004 9:19 pm

Absinthe wrote:ROFL Yorkie!

I bet he just wants to sell his old stuff on ebay so he can buy new stuff. He learned that from Darren. ;)

It's a good strategy and it works for me!

Plus, in the same entry RF says that DGM wants someone to take over the remastering of the KC back catalogue. How do they plan to pay this poor sap? With orange blankets perhaps? :D

Oooh, I'm feeling cheeky today...

Remember, when the bank comes a knocking, it's time for another boxset or set of album remasters. When I see RF at the RAH for G3, instead of throwing my underpants on stage like a proper devoted follower, I shall throw up a crisp £5 note instead. ;-)

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Yorkshire Square on Mon May 24, 2004 9:49 pm

Robert F wrote:This is significant, as any change of name reflects a change in the sense of identity, but I am not sure in which way this is significant. Two or three years ago the Post Office in Britain changed its name to Consignia, indicating that whoever was in charge of the PO had their head placed where sunlight never ventures. Consignia then changed its name back to the Post Office, and currently loses around one million letters a week.

It was Royal Mail that changed its name to Consignia and then back again. Royal Mail receives sorts and delivers mail. The Post Office acts as an interface between the public and Royal Mail but also provides a multitude of other services. An analogy would be to say that the League of Gentlemen changed their name to King Crimson when it was in fact Discipline who did so.

The decision to change the name was probably a poor one, but maybe the idea was to instil a change in the sense of identity of the organisation?

The lost letters comment seems to be a poor jibe that is made out of context about an organisation that delivers 82 million items per day.

http://www.royalmailgroup.com/home.asp

Robert F wrote:Be very careful about the beginning.
Then, be very careful about the end.
Then, be very careful about the middle.

Robert F wrote:Let us embrace our mistakes as friends and teachers.
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue May 25, 2004 1:26 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote:2.
The decision to change the name was probably a poor one, but maybe the idea was to instil a change in the sense of identity of the organisation?

(Apologies to John Cleese) Maybe they should have changed the name to P-Off.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Re: Contradictory old bugger or what?

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:16 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote:
On 7 May that Fripp wrote:The bank called at 08.55 while I was in the kitchen: DGM "has exceeded its limit". Perhaps we should economise on the expense of sleeping arrangements in the office. Perhaps the old orange curtain, the "blanket" that keeps my toes nice and toasty, could be auctioned on e-Bay & the proceeds go to reduce our overdraft. On e-Bay, DGM could sell several old orange curtains, and all of them unique.

So who said "Honour our commitments" then?

*OOF!*
MALCOLM XERXES™

Postby RYG on Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:00 pm

Contradictory -- and how -- I just read his latest diary entries and he went to see REM and: a) In the entry before going stated that he was going to "cheer loudly" -- hypocritical move, no doubt, b) Went backstage to see Bill Riflin -- hypocritical in that he hates others who come to see him backstage at his concerts (isn't this why he hasn't played in the UK since 2000 and willingly since mid-'90's, or so), c) Ate as much food as he wanted backstage -- doesn't he only allow band members to eat at KC gigs.

He confounds at every turn....
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby vrooom on Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:05 pm

He's a contradictory old bugger, ain't he? :D

I can image Stipey coming back stage and complaining about who ate all the nibbles, then looking up to see RF collapsed in the corner with a half-empty bowl of cheesey puffs on his lap.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Riverman on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:13 am

Ummm, so where's the contradiction?

Cheering loudly isn't inappropriate. Going backstage to see the band might be, but I'd assume Robert wouldn't do it unless he already knew it would be acceptable to the others (which he'd probably know, having worked with Rieflin before).

The food I'm not sure about. But still, where's the hypocrisy? I don't see it.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Chip Orr on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:45 am

Fripp allows invited guests to visit him backstage. But he knows from his thousands of years of professional experience that such visitors typically interfere with whatever processes he puts himself through to be in the right state to play music (or, in Fripp-parlance, to be played by music). So he doesn't invite many, if any, visitors to the backstage area.

Like Riverman, I see nothing contradictory here. Nor would I care much if I did. As Emerson once said, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."
Chip Orr
ProjeKction Freak

Next

Return to Fripp