free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC 38 - Live in Philadelphia, PA, August 26, 1996

KCCC 38 - Live in Philadelphia, PA, August 26, 1996

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

KCCC 38 - Live in Philadelphia, PA, August 26, 1996

Postby Indyrod on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Post any comments on this Club release, which is currently available as a PREORDER
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Re: KCCC 38 - Live in Philadelphia, PA, August 26, 1996

Postby GrassySound on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:05 pm

I am eager to hear commentary from folks who now have this release. I attended this show, and it was very special indeed. There was a certain magic in the air, which became strongest during The Sheltering Sky. There was something sublime about the atmosphere of the open air, and the mysterious sounds emanating from the stage. For me, it was the best moment of the show.

I had only seen the band once before, when they played the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA, in June of 1995. The set was quite different this time around, with Condundrum, Waiting Man, Neurotica, Thela Hun Ginjeet, The Sheltering Sky, 21st Century Schizoid Man, and Prism all "new" from the 1995 set.

The sound mix on this recording is very strange. Even though it's a soundboard, it doesn't quite sound "right." Check it out, and let us know your thoughts on this release.
"Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm." - Frank Zappa
GrassySound
ProjeKction Fan

Postby diderot on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:41 pm

GrassySound wrote:The sound mix on this recording is very strange. Even though it's a soundboard, it doesn't quite sound "right." Check it out, and let us know your thoughts on this release.

At first I found your post strange as I had listened to The Collectible KC - Vol 3 (London '96) played (and recorded) almost two months earlier and the sound was very good, except for some annoying audience chat during quieter passages.

Two days ago I received my copy and now I understand exactly what you wrote. The sound looks like a 80's bootleg cassette, where the drums appear muted, like if they were 30 meters away or the recorder mike was inside the pocket... Having the London show available with the same set list I compared both and I didn't believe the abyss in sound quality between them, starting with Conundrum, Thela and so on... Even if we don't care about the audience noise, it is where you state the difference between these releases.

On some tracks Fripp gets more presence in the mix. For example, in B'Boom you'll notice the drums one minute after they started (at 3'10") while at London you hear them at 2'20", for the same arrangement (maybe because they didn't get good mikes for the drums... :roll: ); in Dinosaur Adrian's voice is higher in Philadelphia while in the London mix it is at the same level of all the instruments, and they are all crispy.

Sid says that the Philly show has "the quickest version of 'Indiscipline'...", but all the songs are faster than the London gig, so maybe we have a pitch issue, again... I've done some tests using ACID Pro and if I turn down the pitch at -0.55 to -0.8 for the Philly show, I can synchronize almost every tune from both shows.

Having the same engineers, George Glossop at the venues and Alex Mundy at DGM, why are they so different?

Edit: I forgot to say that I liked the performance, so I'm frustrated for the sound quality.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Fred Zappelin on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:01 am

This is a good release, but yeah the sound is weird and quieter. I prefer the raucous London set.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Return to KCCC