free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Buying stuff from the DGM site - a British Problem

Buying stuff from the DGM site - a British Problem

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

Buying stuff from the DGM site - a British Problem

Postby NICK on Sun May 18, 2008 12:05 pm

I recently ordered 8 CDs (8 KC and 1 Fripp & Eno) from the DGM site in early May and received the 2 confirmatory e-mails. On Thursday 15th May, a card left by the Royal Mail said that a parcel was waiting for my collection at the local office, but there was £14.27p (about $27) Import Duty to pay!
According to a sticker put on the parcel by Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs...
"Goods purchased and imported into the EU with a value over £18, or goods imported from one private person to another private person as a gift with a value over £36, are subject to Customs Charges"
I got stung for £6.27p VAT (on a $71 order), plus a Royal Mail International Handling Fee of £8.
Brits take note. Don't get turned over as I was.
By the way, has anyone ever had a response from mailorderdgm@aol.com? I've mailed them a couple of times about the availability of KC at Orlando/Jacksonville and GG&F CDs, but they've never answered.
NICK
ProjeKction Acolyte

Re: Buying stuff from the DGM site - a British Problem

Postby Yorkshire Square on Sun May 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Buying stuff from the US of A is a bit of a lottery. Sometimes you get hit for Import Duty other times you don't. Nowadays I try to order no more than 2 or 3 CDs at a time from DGM and these tend to get through okay. Really, DGM should be deducting any US sales tax (like our VAT) before charging us, but I suspect they can't be arsed. A bit like replying to e-mails, you usually have to wait a month or two by which time you've lost interest or got the answer elsewhere. If Uncle Bobby is in charge of IT training we've got no hope... :lol:
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby diderot on Sun May 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Ahh! And I thought I was the only who complained about import duty... In Brazil every dollar from imported goods can be charged, but I've learned (in some way as Yorkie) that the Customs avoid small packages as it would be impossible to charge everyone. So I spend a little more in the shipping but get rid of import duty (60% over the order).
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sun May 18, 2008 11:13 pm

The rule of thumb is to keep your purchases under £18, which I think is the limit before import duty kicks in. So yeah, you can order 2 CDs without fear.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby NICK on Tue May 20, 2008 10:05 pm

I'd also be curious to know why Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs don't go after EVERY parcel that comes in from the States. In 2004, I ordered "The Great Deceiver" plus Vols 3 & 4 of "Epitaph", and that didn't attract the attention of HMRC. I also ordered anther 6 CDs earlier this year from DGM - again no response from them. But this time, I get hit. I also don't understand why the Royal Mail should slap a £8 "Handling Charge" on me for doing something I've already paid for via DGM's postage & packing (a.k.a 'Shipping'). Can any Brit shed any light on the matter?
NICK
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby vrooom on Wed May 21, 2008 5:35 am

Being charged import duty can be random. Personally, whenever I've gone over my quota, I get charged and haven't been so lucky. I guess it is the luck of the draw. The Royal Mail handling charged is there to give you that warm glow of indignation. :D

My beef with DGM at the moment is that they've somehow deleted my DGM Live account and so all my account details include the many, many, many downloads I've purchased appear to be lost. I've emailed, but got no response at the moment. Anyone else out there had this happen?

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Yorkshire Square on Wed May 21, 2008 8:22 am

vrooom wrote:Being charged import duty can be random. Personally, whenever I've gone over my quota, I get charged and haven't been so lucky. I guess it is the luck of the draw.

Very random. I've had several fairly big items (not just DGM stuff) go through without charge, but on the whole I've been clobbered. It's a fact of life Nick; HMRC are legally entitled to claim import duty on items entering the country from outside the EU. If they don't, consider yourself lucky and keep your head down! Royal Mail as the agents of HMRC are legally entitled to claim a transaction charge for recovering the import duty. The only way to get round this is to advise HMRC of the import beforehand and pay the duty upfront. This is what commercial importers do, but I suspect HMRC might not be interested in six CDs of dubious quality!! As I said before, you are entitled not to pay the sales tax due at the country of origin, but achieving this can be tricky; DGM are terribly poor at responding to attempts to secure this reduction. Other exporters are quite keen and will even offer it upfront.

vrooom wrote:My beef with DGM at the moment is that they've somehow deleted my DGM Live account and so all my account details include the many, many, many downloads I've purchased appear to be lost. I've emailed, but got no response at the moment. Anyone else out there had this happen?

Dat is because you is dat bad, bad boy dat runs dat Pro-Jek-Shun website. You knows, de one dat is alus dissin meester Freep. Dat is why yous has been De-Leet-Ed boy! :D

Seriously, though out of the 30 odd downloads I've paid for, I've only lost one (the St Louis Soudscapes). I only noticed because I wanted a new inlay and when I looked, it weren't there! I didn't think you could download them again after the 72 hour window has expired, so it's only the artwork element that is important, no?
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby vrooom on Wed May 21, 2008 9:28 am

Yorkshire Square wrote:Dat is because you is dat bad, bad boy dat runs dat Pro-Jek-Shun website. You knows, de one dat is alus dissin meester Freep. Dat is why yous has been De-Leet-Ed boy! :D

Oh well, that's DGM customer service for you. I shan't be buying anymore if that's the case. Mind you, it kind of follows seeing as the same account was mysteriously disallowed from posting any reviews or comments on the forum. Maybe conspiracy theories do exist! :D

Yorkshire Square wrote:Seriously, though out of the 30 odd downloads I've paid for, I've only lost one (the St Louis Soudscapes). I only noticed because I wanted a new inlay and when I looked, it weren't there! I didn't think you could download them again after the 72 hour window has expired, so it's only the artwork element that is important, no?

I use the account as an aide-memoire as I often forget what I've already downloaded. Plus there's the artwork thing, which isn't that big a deal. I am just a little peeved as I went to log-in to buy something and I couldn't 'cos I had no account there anymore...so fuck 'em. I emailed them on Monday and I'm still awaiting a reply. Maybe I should just email Sid Smith direct? :twisted:

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby vrooom on Thu May 22, 2008 9:46 am

People, people, people...you'll be glad to know that there's no conspiracy theory regarding my account with DGM Live. It was a boo-boo on my part, of sorts. About a month ago, I was trying to change my email address on the profile editing page when Internet Explorer hung and the page went all unavailable on me. Thinking that my email change hadn't happened, I've been trying to login with my old email address, but it turns out that my new email address is my new login. Oh the hilarity! :oops:

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Yorkshire Square on Thu May 22, 2008 9:59 pm

Glad to hear it. I assume Sidney will be round at 9.15pm on Friday, as usual, to rub Vicks into your back...

Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Eh?
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Next

Return to KCCC