free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC 34 - Projekct Three - Live in Alexandria, 2003

KCCC 34 - Projekct Three - Live in Alexandria, 2003

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

KCCC 34 - Projekct Three - Live in Alexandria, 2003

Postby diderot on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:27 pm

Well, I didn't intend to write a review of this album but as no one had written before... here I go.

Due to DGM's high shipping cost, I'd bought their merchandise in batches of two/three CDs, so last week I received Clubs 33 and 34.

I imagine how difficult was the decision the band made choosing between cancel the show or do a P3 concert. Anyway, anything they'd choose to do would be far better than not to do... 8)

It's a great show and the impression I got on the Crimson tunes is something like 'P3 plays the music of King Crimson'. Even without a proper rehearsal as a trio they gave us solid stripped down versions of Level 5 and VROOOM. The improvs were great as the usual P3 repertoire, Thrush and Sus-tayn-Z.

In this track, Sus-tayn-Z, I found some digital noise between 0'56" and 1'04". I don't know if either it's my disc or if it came from the master (someone at the DGMLive guest book found the same). You may find the same kind of noise on track 5 at 11'05" to 11'38".

At first I thought it could be Pat putting his fills but no, this kind of noise resembles me of my old computer. Due to some interference I got this kind of noise on some burnt CD-R (having to burn them again). It resembles me too of the sound of static on vinyl. Anyone? Sid? Alex?
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby scorched earth on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:57 pm

I believe Sid said in the DGM guestbook that it's in the master. But that's nothing, my copy broke my CD player, lol. I eagerly placed it in the player after ripping the package open, pressed play, heard a little noise and then nothing. Had to open up the player and pry the disc out of its grasp, and that player hasn't worked since.

Sounded nice in my car recently driving north, but something about the music seemed to fit almost too well with the scenes of environmental destruction at the edge of the city, making me think that as excellent as it is, it may not be the best choice for driving out of town. Viewing what to me is insane destruction of the desert, I even started ruminating that my girlfriend was right, that KC makes "insane asylum music". (Though maybe I went too far when I interpreted "Deception of the Thrush" as a warning that Adrian is not really the nice guy he seems and everyone says he is, lol). Anyway, once I was further into the desert, listening to the Soundscape Hot Tickles while hiking restored my normally healthy thinking patterns.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:03 pm

Darren said:

"And it was good..."

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dan Anderson on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:07 pm

scorched earth wrote:I believe Sid said in the DGM guestbook that it's in the master.

Mine has digi-noise in the quiet soundscapes portion of TPTB II. It's a real bitch. Oh well, better to have the concert than not.

Dan
Dan Anderson
ProjeKction Fan

Postby vrooom on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:12 pm

The digital noise comes in around TPTB for me and at the end. Despite what Sid Scrote says, I think actually it is a manufacturing glitch with the CDs rather than digital noise, but hey, I've been wrong before.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby scorched earth on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:48 pm

Here's what he actually said:

"as far as I know the scratchy noises are all part of the fun -channel distortion, etc Thus your copy is fine."
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dan Anderson on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:57 pm

scorched earth wrote:Here's what he actually said:

"as far as I know the scratchy noises are all part of the fun -channel distortion, etc Thus your copy is fine."

What is that?

Dan
Dan Anderson
ProjeKction Fan

Postby vrooom on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:01 am

scorched earth wrote:Here's what he actually said:

Well that explains EVERYTHING! :D

I think it is the King Kwimson Kwality Kontrol department at work again... ;-)

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby diderot on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:12 am

vrooom wrote:Despite what Sid Scrote says, I think actually it is a manufacturing glitch with the CDs rather than digital noise, but hey, I've been wrong before.

I think you've never been so right. I don't think it was a glitch with the Solar Voyager (or was it the Lunar Module?) or any other gear, otherwise it would be spread all over the show. For me it happened during the editing/mastering.

It's easy for Sid to say [it's] all part of the fun. I agree that it's better to have the show than not have, but I don't see the fun Sid sees...
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello
I also bought this club34 release.
Music is really great. It was king crimson played by P3. For me ProjeKct 3 shows from 21-25.03.1999 are much interesting than this show from 03.03.2003. Ade catch flu unexpectly so they didn't have much time to prepare the material. Everything is very spontaneous especially hard version of "facts of life".
The digital problems that you wrote before also makes me nervous.
But from the other hand I was thinking that only I have the wrong version, now I calm down. It seems that is all KCCC34 series...

Next

Return to KCCC