free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC 31 - Live At The Wiltern

KCCC 31 - Live At The Wiltern

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

KCCC 31 - Live At The Wiltern

Postby laurent m on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:33 am

I received this two days ago and haven't found the time to sit and listen properly yet. Just a few quick observations for a start. DGM didn't mention the source, but it sounds like a FOH: the mix is very similar to B'Boom with Adrian dead centre and Fripp deeply panned both left and right.

No real surprise in there apart from a very short and different early Prism with added soundscapes.

And to anyone familiar with the previously released Walking On Air on SSEDD ep and Vrooom Vrooom (which I am, this always was my fav version of this song in heavy rotation at one point), the take found here is definitely not the same. Another date mess up?
laurent m
ProjeKction Fan

Re: KCCC 31 - Live At The Wiltern

Postby Owen on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:38 am

laurent m wrote:And to anyone familiar with the previously released Walking On Air on SSEDD ep and Vrooom Vrooom (which I am, this always was my fav version of this song in heavy rotation at one point), the take found here is definitely not the same. Another date mess up?

WHAT!?

That SSEDD/VV version of WOA is one of my favourite KC moments... and I'm a double-trio disbeliever for the most part. I'd assumed this was the full show that track came from and was considering a buy.

Now I'm not so sure.

They did play many shows in a row at that venue at that time, so it could be a date mix-up.

The big question is, was the show we have as a KCCC release as magical as the one the WOA I love came from?

Confused,
O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby laurent m on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:41 am

Owen wrote:The big question is, was the show we have as a KCCC release as magical as the one the WOA I love came from?

Nothing special to me after two listens. The post-Thrak DT shows are highly redundant IMO. This is in fact just more of the same, same usual setlist with very little variations apart from Prism. The only (slightly) different perspective comes from the FOH mix. But I don't think it will become a personal fav. The material played by the DT matured significantly between Argentina 94 and this show, especially VROOOM VROOOM which had almost become a real monster, but after that it stayed pretty much the same until 96, and the versions found here are not any better than those on dejaVROOOM, On broadway or Mexico.

The only thing we need now is a 96 show with Sheltering Sky and Waiting Man. I witnessed WM on the first night of the Thrakattak tour, and it was an outstanding magical moment, quite different fom its 80s arrangement with Pat and Bill playing the same drum kit. It was just the first airing of this piece, so I assume it only got better on later dates and I've been waiting for an official release ever since.
laurent m
ProjeKction Fan

Postby scorched earth on Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:42 pm

I responded a lot more to the '96 show I saw in Las Vegas than either the Wiltern or Symphony Hall (Phoenix) performances I saw in '95. They created such a powerful unified sound I had this eerie feeling that some huge beast was manifesting itself above the stage. Fripp's playing was also starting to sound a little warmer. They played Waiting Man but no Sheltering Sky.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Fred Zappelin on Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:04 am

:? Eh, it's not bad. Nothing too revealing if you have all the other DT live discs. You can definitely notice the sound difference from Club 5/6, this being a FOH mix. You can also tell there was some tweaking involved with the thoughts of a live album being made. Closing soundscape at the end of Walking On Air plays to silence, no audience applause at the end.

I dig it, but also would have much rather had a '96 show w/ Sheltering Sky & Waiting Man. The only track on this that's not already on Club 5/6 is Matte Kudasai, and well Prism is quite different. I've had it for two weeks and listened to it once. Too much other stuff to check out.

I think at this point in time they should take votes from the fans/regular buyers on here and ET on what gets released in the club; not exactly specific dates, but years and sets that include certain songs.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Ram4 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:10 pm

I got it and while the setlist is not my favorite, it is a great show. I thought the performance was a bit better than most double trio shows I've heard.

I also have been hoping for a 1996 show with Sheltering Sky and Waiting Man. Didn't they play them in Mexico City? By the way, I really prefer the mix of Mexico City over On Broadway. That was done by R. Chris Murphy, right? Compare the song VROOOM VROOOM - what a difference. I can hear Trey loud and clear.
Ram4

Postby The Crimson Fox on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Just listened to this tonight on my super headphones!! I think its a great performance and one of my favourites of my extensive double trio live recordings.

The version of Indiscipline is one of the best Ive heard.
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Return to KCCC