free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - The Death of the Collector's Club

The Death of the Collector's Club

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

The Death of the Collector's Club

Postby Fred Zappelin on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:09 am

"It's over Johnny". Nothing is over! :evil:

Here's what Sid said when someone at the DGM Live forum asked about when Summit Studios would be back in stock: - "Summit Studios won't be available in CD form once the present run goes out of print. It will be available as a download..." (If that's the case, then copies of my KCCC CDs are now tradeable)

So hang on to your Club CDs, and if you're working on filling in the gaps you missed, hurry before they're gone for good.

Oh yeah, also note that #31(Wiltern Theater, LA '95) should have been up for pre-order in late December or by now.

I consider myself a diehard King Crimson fan. I've picked up everything in the last 4 years yet want no part of paying to download then having to transfer to blank CDs. The news of the Kingston '03 show for dl has me annoyed. As much as I'd love to have that show, I'm sticking to my boycott. Why couldn't they release that as Club 30, and leave Brighton '71 for the downloads? I'll always be happy with 27 out of the 29 CC discs I own. If it's truly over, then I'm done and I don't have to own everything. I'll spend my money elsewhere. Am I the only one refuses to buy the downloads?

Indyrod, I thought I read a while ago that you'd never buy them. You must have gave in by now. :P
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby vrooom on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:42 am

Guess what? I've not bought any downloads either...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Re: The Death of the Collector's Club

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:50 am

Fred Zappelin wrote:Here's what Sid said when someone at the DGM Live forum asked about when Summit Studios would be back in stock: - "Summit Studios won't be available in CD form once the present run goes out of print.

If it's already "not in stock" as the writer to Sid wrote, wouldn't that mean that the present run is already gone?
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Fred Zappelin on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:55 am

Oh, I don't feel so alone now. Looks like I'm not the only one who's not on board with DGM Live.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Fred Zappelin on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:04 am

ChewChewGumChew wrote:
Fred Zappelin wrote:Here's what Sid said when someone at the DGM Live forum asked about when Summit Studios would be back in stock: - "Summit Studios won't be available in CD form once the present run goes out of print.

If it's already "not in stock" as the writer to Sid wrote, wouldn't that mean that the present run is already gone?

Not sure, check it out at the forum, that's what Sid wrote. Maybe he didn't know it just ran out of print.

I find it hilarious that fans are going ape over the "complete" Asbury Park show, and buying it AGAIN after it should have been unedited on the CD in the first place. The CD is good enough for me. There's enough excellent Easy Money solos on The Great Deceiver box. It's a sickness of the fan/consumer and I sort of understand it, but at some point you should draw the line.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:06 am

I think it's better to have it than not. I doubt I would have ever gotten the first two Zoom Club 71 shows through the KCCC. Now I have them. Rather inexpensively as well. I'm hoping for a healthy quantity of shows from TCOL tour. With the Klub, how many could I hope for?

I do agree that the Brighton 71 show was a terrible choice for a Klub release this far along into it.

Again, I wish DGM would poll the fans and ask us what we would like to see for future shows, whether through download or the KCCC. These random requests through their forum is tiring. I've downloaded a couple things, but no more for me for awhile (at least no more from what they currently have to offer).
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Dog_none on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:14 am

There's a lot good stuff up there besides Asbury Park...

Personally I like DGM Live, even if it is a pain. To me, more music + faster = good.

I am however, very dissappointed that the club is dead. I would think they're excluding a good chunk of their audience. But maybe the initial downloading results were good enough so that they think they can do that exclusively.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby MarkSullivan on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:28 am

Dog_none wrote:There's a lot good stuff up there besides Asbury Park...

Personally I like DGM Live, even if it is a pain. To me, more music + faster = good.

I am however, very dissappointed that the club is dead. I would think they're excluding a good chunk of their audience. But maybe the initial downloading results were good enough so that they think they can do that exclusively.

There was a recent Forum response (I think it was there) that said they were looking into the cheap "white label" hard copy option. Of course, weeks ago Sid promised they'd look into higher MP3 quality, and there's been no more news on that front. I haven't downloaded anything yet. If they increase the MP3 quality without upping the price there are several things (mainly ProjeKcts and Soundscapes) that I'd buy in pretty short order.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MondayTuesday on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:39 am

Fred Zappelin wrote:Am I the only one refuses to buy the downloads?

No, because of "stuff": I don't like to produce a much needed - for me at least and my habits - package for a CD containing the download to store it away.

And I would pass on anything "lossy". And I think the price for FLAC files is high (but that is not the main issue). I was a KCCC collector (with that the problem is: "collecting" borders to "addiction" - therefore the slow rate for new CC releases was okay with me).

PS
I did download "Asbury Park" to have an experience with the overall procedure, it's still there on my computer as FLAC - I never bothered so far to prepare it for listening.
MondayTuesday
ProjeKction Fan

flac

Postby Krimzep on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:15 pm

first off I see that some are talking about higer quality mp3s .

thats funny, I can see the advert now,

:lol: Come purchase our higher quality low quality Dls :lol:

it doesnt exist, mp3 is lossy no matter the rate its been compressed at.

as for flac why dont people just download Flac Frontend get it here http://cyberial.com/flacinstaller.asp

its free its easy to install and use , it will allow you to play flac files without converting to wav. and if you use nero it will also allow you to burn flac files right to disc.

its not that hard people.

as for the downloads, I have purchased 2.

I am not happy with the P1 show as its incomplete .

Asbury park is cool and the sound is excellent.

Buty i am not so happy about having to burn the concert on lower quality disks {I dont have an DVD burner}

The club is better for fans because you get your nice little paKcage and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

DGM live is better for DGM, easier to maintain and its probably more cost effective as they have removed the overhead conserning disks , ink and paper.

here is a great recomendation for a show from the TCOL tour

Boston December 8th 2001 , this was a kickass performance I know I was there.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to KCCC