free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC 30 -- Live at Brighton Dome 1971

KCCC 30 -- Live at Brighton Dome 1971

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

KCCC 30 -- Live at Brighton Dome 1971

Postby RYG on Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:21 pm

Just thought I'd start a topic for this release since one doesn't exist yet in this section. Has anyone else had a chance to listen to this (other than what has been said in the Projekction News section titled: KC Club 30: Brighton Dome 1971 details + Club 31 revealed)?
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby vrooom on Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:26 pm

Good idea.

Still haven't received my copy yet. It probably fell in the Atlantic Ocean or something. :-(

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby RYG on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:48 pm

Too bad Darren. After a few more listen-throughs it is a pretty darn good disk (in my own opinion). Yeah, most of the announcements are too muddy to hear but the music more-or-less shines through. I really think they nailed "21st Century Schizoid Man" to a level that is in close comparison with Earthbound's version (they were done around the same time/incarnation so it's no great surprise).

I suppose that the reason I'm loathe to give it a bad review for it's relative lack of sound quality is because I have a "non-official" bootleg of this performance that is absolutely horrendous. So, being that I can actually make out what songs they're playing and can enjoy it is a big plus.

For someone only interested in live stuff with soundboard quality sound should definitely NOT get this release but in my book, since not every performance has to be perfect-sounding, it was very much worth the price.

Maybe you'll get it just in time for the new DGM site launch, or maybe not (since the new DGM site is still no where to be found).
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby vrooom on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:28 pm

Talk of the Devil...it came today!

My god, I find it a tough listen. It's a bit like having a heavy head cold, having cotten wool wrapped around your head and then several black bin liners put over the top of that. It's pretty poor and I don't think DGM are doing enough to inform us punters about the sound quality issues. It was good to hear Islands and that's about all, really. :-( I don't mean to be the one to complain ALL THE TIME, but I think DGM should have staggered the KCCC releases and given us a few really good titles before unleashing this dog's breakfast.

The only thing that could make this worse would be if the booklet had a little pop-up Mr Fripp pictured rubbing my money over his face in sheer ecstasy. :P

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby diderot on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:16 pm

...and yesterday I received my copy too...

Well, it's not so bad as you all wrote, although the first minutes were terrible: vintage-seashore-effects.

I've listened to part of the first disc and the highlights are Cirkus - a blueprint from the previous releases and a a good song for Boz; and The Sailors Tale - this band always rocks on this one. :D

From the first announcement it's easier to hear people laughing, but the music that follows has a much better sound (or am I used to listen to this band this way...), but there's an annoucement after Pictures or Sailors Tale that is crystal clear. :?
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:36 pm

vrooom wrote:, but I think DGM should have staggered the KCCC releases and given us a few really good titles before unleashing this dog's breakfast.
Darren

I was thinking that maybe they've already released all the "good sounding" shows from that era. I mean, who knew how long the KCCC would last? They may be "out" of good quality Islands/Earthbound shows. OK, go ahead and cheer, I can handle it.
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Dog_none on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:48 pm

ChewChewGumChew wrote:I was thinking that maybe they've already released all the "good sounding" shows from that era. I mean, who knew how long the KCCC would last? They may be "out" of good quality Islands/Earthbound shows. OK, go ahead and cheer, I can handle it.

Tru dat, but there are plenty of other eras with good quality recordings to chose from. I'm sure there's some kind of logic (or rationalization) for releasing the recordings in the order that they are, but I can't figure it out. I can't imagine the demand for "Islands" era recordings is higher than that of KC2K. They have to have a soundboard recording of every fricking show from the last 5 years.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby vrooom on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:49 pm

No, I wasn't complaining about Islands-era stuff. There just haven't been many juicy releases for me. I'd like some more P4 or some studio outtakes again.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:03 pm

I’ve listened to “Club30”about 4 or 5 times now, if you can get pass to first few songs the “washed effect“fades. The sound is still dodgy at best, but there’s an interesting performance going on there. The band really seems to be having a blast. Being that I’m just a pup with only 10 Club cd’s to my name, you guys should be a better judge of the performance than I. That being said I’m enjoying it.... :idea: What I would really like to know is what are the best Club releases so I can cherry pick them out, thanks....
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:10 pm

I just can't get past the sound quality, JT. The drums sound OK-ish, the saxes are OK-ish, but when RF starts to play it sounds like someone has wired up a washboard to the PA and he's playing electric skiffle. The Sailor's Tale is a particular sufferer of this. But hey, I'm not really a bootleg fan (when I say bootleg, I mean a poorly record audience recordings, not decent quality sound desk or FM recordings). I guess I'm a snob or something.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Next

Return to KCCC