free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and why?

Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and why?

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:51 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote:My gaps now are:

1. Marquee. Not a massive fan of KC69, and I already have Epitaph as well as Fillmore & Hyde Park KCCCs.

9. Summit. I seemed to gain a plethora of Islands era live stuff (Orlando, Detroit, Jacksonville, LOTR, Earthbound) all over a 18 month or so period; Grooned up! But this seems to be essential based on comments above.

14. Plymouth. Bloody hell, another Islands era disc. Probably the bottom of the list.

If you have Epitaph, Filmore, and Hyde Park, then you don't really need Marquee unless a) you want it for its historical value, or b) you REALLY have to have "I Talk to the Wind."
Summit and Plymouth: You're not missing much with Plymouth if you have all those other ones, but Summit is kind of a must-have. Near-studio quality sound--it was recorded in a radio station studio after all. Think BBC Sessions type of sound quality. Plus the improvs are a little different (and many would argue better) than those played at all the other shows.

You really should get Absent Lovers. Actually, it was the last wide-market live KC album I bought, and to quote the doctor from Hellraiser II, "And to think . . . I hesitated." For me the appeal of the Philadelphia show was to get the pieces that don't appear on Absent Lovers (especially since I never got even the original Berkeley disc). The two make a great combination.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
User avatar
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:05 pm
Location: Pen-cyl-Vayn-Ya

KCCC

Postby phoenixal on Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:39 pm

I have joined this thread rather late on. I am also a completist, but am not
ashamed of being so. I am proud of my KC collection, which has been
put together over many years. I consider every release to be a historical
document, highlighting the band, of whichever lineup, at that particular
moment in time. I have all of the collectors club releases, in fact I believe
I own every "official" release of the band, and would not be without any of them. Ultimately, it comes down to personal choice, along, of course,
with monetary considerations. Yes, the sound quality on one, or two, is
questionable, but, to me, they are still valuable insights.
I also wish for a release of the 1996 lineup (although this is one of my
least favorite incarnations), just to hear their renditions of The Sheltering
Sky (one of my all time favorite tracks), Waiting Man and their take on
21st CSM, which was revived for the 1996 tour. I am currently trying to
buy a bootleg of one of those gigs, with all three tracks on it. If
successful, I will write a small review, but only of those tracks.

Allan.
phoenixal
 

Re: Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and wh

Postby laurent m on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:32 pm

#17 ProjeKct Two Northhampton. Not that I don't like P2, but it's been said that there is quite a lot of overlap with Live Groove. Is there a breakdown anywhere of which tracks are redundant?

Edited from something I posted on ET when first hearing Club 17:

X-CHAYN JIZ: This is exactly the same take as on Live Groove, approx 15 seconds longer at the start, and with a 30 secs edit somewhere in the middle of the improv. However the remaining sections perfectly match.

VECTOR SHIFT TO PLANET BELEWBELOID: not the same take as on Live Groove.

LIGHT C: The last Fripp piano phrases and the last theme iteration are exactly the same as on Live Groove, however the beginning is different.

HEAVY C: Same take as on Live Groove AND Cirkus AND Sometimes God Smiles. Is this the complete version? Live Groove has a slight 10 second edit somewhere in the improv, while Cirkus and SGS have more severe edits. BTW, the mix on SGS was different (Fripp and Singleton?) while the three other versions sound like they were edited from the same Chris Murphy mix.

DOTT: Different from Live Groove. The question is, the version on Cirkus, which is an edit of Live Groove, is said to be recorded Northampton July 1, 1998. So which one IS Northampton?

SUS-TAYN-Z: The opening sustains are different, but from where Belew enters, this version is an edit of the Live Groove one. And BTW, this is not the same edit as on the beginners guide to ProjeKcts: the removed sections are not the same.

CONTRARY C: Definitely not the same take
User avatar
laurent m
ProjeKction Fan
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:30 am
Location: France

Re: Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and wh

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:19 pm

laurent m wrote:#17 ProjeKct Two Northhampton. Not that I don't like P2, but it's been said that there is quite a lot of overlap with Live Groove. Is there a breakdown anywhere of which tracks are redundant?

Edited from something I posted on ET when first hearing Club 17:

X-CHAYN JIZ: This is exactly the same take as on Live Groove, approx 15 seconds longer at the start, and with a 30 secs edit somewhere in the middle of the improv. However the remaining sections perfectly match.

VECTOR SHIFT TO PLANET BELEWBELOID: not the same take as on Live Groove.

LIGHT C: The last Fripp piano phrases and the last theme iteration are exactly the same as on Live Groove, however the beginning is different.

HEAVY C: Same take as on Live Groove AND Cirkus AND Sometimes God Smiles. Is this the complete version? Live Groove has a slight 10 second edit somewhere in the improv, while Cirkus and SGS have more severe edits. BTW, the mix on SGS was different (Fripp and Singleton?) while the three other versions sound like they were edited from the same Chris Murphy mix.

DOTT: Different from Live Groove. The question is, the version on Cirkus, which is an edit of Live Groove, is said to be recorded Northampton July 1, 1998. So which one IS Northampton?

SUS-TAYN-Z: The opening sustains are different, but from where Belew enters, this version is an edit of the Live Groove one. And BTW, this is not the same edit as on the beginners guide to ProjeKcts: the removed sections are not the same.

CONTRARY C: Definitely not the same take

Thanks for posting that, and welcome to ProjeKction! I knew I read something like this a while back but didn't know where to find it again. This information is very useful. It just goes to show how far you can stretch the meaning of the term "live." :roll:
Walking out's just another metaphor.
User avatar
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:05 pm
Location: Pen-cyl-Vayn-Ya

Re: Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and wh

Postby laurent m on Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:57 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:This information is very useful. It just goes to show how far you can stretch the meaning of the term "live." :roll:


This post actually prompted a private response from Chris Murphy along the lines of "thanks for your interest, we put a lot of time and work in mixing these shows, ...". I don't think there were any overdubs but a lot of events from different nights were assembled to construct Live Groove and, in the end, everybody involved probably lost track of where each bit came from. This seems to have been standard operating procedure for the ProjeKcts box set. The only thing bugging me is that for the club releases of P2 and P3, they chose the two shows that were already heavily featured on the box set. I am a big P3 fan and enjoy Austin very much, but I was really deceived with Northampton and, past my first dissectional listen, I don't think I ever played it again :x
User avatar
laurent m
ProjeKction Fan
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:30 am
Location: France

Postby Dog_none on Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:34 pm

I agree with most of what you wrote, except since listening to Club17 it is "Live Groove" which hasn't recieved any play.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
User avatar
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:33 am
Location: a whole new kind of delirium

Postby drdennis on Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:51 am

I would be a completist if I could afford it.
One of these days I'll try to resume the
pursuit of the whole catalog.
User avatar
drdennis
ProjeKction Champion
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:01 am
Location: New York/New Jersey

Re: Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and wh

Postby crimcinnaman on Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:20 pm

laurent m wrote:This seems to have been standard operating procedure for the ProjeKcts box set. The only thing bugging me is that for the club releases of P2 and P3, they chose the two shows that were already heavily featured on the box set. I am a big P3 fan and enjoy Austin very much, but I was really deceived with Northampton and, past my first dissectional listen, I don't think I ever played it again :x


I love Northampton. I had the p-box and Live Groove, but I never "got" P2 until I heard the club disc. Just hearing that relatively complete live performance really made me listen in a different way. AND I wasn't even trying, the music found me and I totally got into it listening to this "version".

I was able to reopen the box and LG and hear them both with new ears.
"My Child is an Honor Student
My President is a Moron"
crimcinnaman
ProjeKction Champion
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:45 pm
Location: Wankerage, I'llaska

Previous

Return to KCCC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron