free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and why?

Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and why?

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

Postby scorched earth on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:02 pm

drdennis wrote: It's interesting that some folks who have
said they'd like to give Guitar Craft a whirl
if it weren't so expensive have evidently
spent a bundle on every possible
Crimson recording. This might be a reasonable
choice, as a week's instruction lasts
only for a week, while the nth replay of
an official bootleg of a live show remastered
and dusted off is a thing of beauty forever.
Right?

Not to deflect the thread, but speaking of hyperbolic claims, I'm not sure that any of the above ever said "they'd like to give Guitar Craft a whirl if it weren't so expensive" much less the few that might conceivably be portrayed as having "spent a bundle on every possible Crimson recording." Darren might qualify I suppose on the latter count but I can't really remember him objecting to the expense as much as feeling like he wouldn't really fit in.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby drdennis on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:08 pm

I'm simply pointing out that it gets pretty
expensive picking up all of these possible
releases.

Also, I thought a couple of folks had complained
about the expense of GC, and had suggested
they might try it if it weren't so costly. Which,
by the way, makes a great deal of sense. I'm
a little too familiar with the ouch factor of spending
cash on Frippian fandom and being a part-time
guitar cult member.

However, in the final analysis, any and all of it is worth it.
Just now, my life would be a lot less enjoyable without the
KC soundtrack.
drdennis
ProjeKction Champion

Postby scorched earth on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:38 pm

I know that when asked at KNews by a Crafty why I wouldn't attend a
GC seminar I replied there were many reasons but one trumps them all, I couldn't afford it at the moment. So I wasn't complaining about how expensive it was or saying I would attend if it wasn't so expensive, just arguing that a lack of money should be considered a sufficient answer to that question. Basically this wasn't accepted by the Crafties who argued that if you feel the need you'd find a way to afford it. But you know one of the things about having no money is that you learn to not "need" much.

Others could have very well said they might try it if it wasn't so costly, I just can't remember that specifically.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby drdennis on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:59 pm

This reminds me of a time I had trying to buy
a mattress. A high pressure saleswoman was
trying to get me to buy a 4,000 dollar mattress
by asking me "How much is your sleep worth to
you?" I replied that if I had only $4.00 to my name
my sleep would be worth just enough to buy a
cardboard box, and I would sleep on it, if I had to.
Reality is reality. I'm always dubious about pressures
involving overlooking practicalities.
drdennis
ProjeKction Champion

Postby vrooom on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:38 pm

I'm not sure how this came about but I'd rather spend my money on a multitude of things OTHER than GC. Guitar Craft is for a certain kind of person and that person is not me. Maybe if I was seventeen and gullible, but I am old and cynical and I would be no use to the cause. They wouldn't want me and I am sure I wouldn't want them.

I'd rather spend the money on records, thanks, or the stuff that makes me happy. Not sure if GC would make me happy, you know.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Fred Zappelin on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:16 pm

RYG wrote:To date, I have passed over:

KCCC #5/6: Longacre -- It was too expensive at the time it came out and Vroom Vroom supplanted it. I wonder why DGM hasn't split this one up yet so that you can buy #5 or #6 alone without buying the other. I can't imagine how many people are still buying this one so it wouldn't hurt to try and sell each one at a time.

KCCC #23: Orlando -- This is the show the day after or the day before Jacksonville so I didn't feel it had enough different stuff on it. Of the ones I don't have this is the only one, so far, that might eventually get purchased.

There's no reason to split up 5/6, maybe reduce the price, but even that won't happen. Plus then everyone who bought it first would bitch(remember the PtB tour box preorder?) I don't think anyone who bought 5/6 ever complained afterward. Those who don't need it will stick with Vrooom Vrooom. BTW, as of yesterday, Club 5/6 was sold out.

#23 I'd say is a must have if you like the performance on Jacksonville, but want better sound. There's a lot more on it, notably Groon, and the sound quality is two or three notches better than J-ville.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:40 am

I'd say the Orlando show is the best of the "live Islands" stuff. Of course, Summit Studios outdoes them all, but Orlando is a must-have. Then there's Detroit which is a close second must-have...
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

guitar craft

Postby steven on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:56 am

I think the reason I have all the KCCC releases is that I CAN'T attend GC. I would have thought I was in Heaven back in 1974, when I spent a whole summer learning to play most of Fracture by ear (killing a cassette player in the process) to be able to attend something like GC. Since I found out that GC exists (fairly recently), unfortunately my guitar playing has come to an end thanks to rheumatoid arthritis in my hands. So, I console myself by listening to KC in its many incarnations, remembering the past when I could pick the geetar. For those of you that think you are indestructible, think again.
steven
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby vrooom on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:11 am

Sorry to hear about your hands, Steven. If that happened to me, I think I would throw myself under the nearest bus (no joke). Gotta keep taking the fish oils, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Yorkshire Square on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:26 am

I've not intentionally passed on any titles, but I did not start buying until the non-subscription period started. Anyway I've purchased everything from #17 (18?) as it came out, or shortly thereafter. And then back issues have been purchased as funds allowed; these have tended to be influenced by availability and what else I already have.

My gaps now are:

1. Marquee. Not a massive fan of KC69, and I already have Epitaph as well as Fillmore & Hyde Park KCCCs.

9. Summit. I seemed to gain a plethora of Islands era live stuff (Orlando, Detroit, Jacksonville, LOTR, Earthbound) all over a 18 month or so period; Grooned up! But this seems to be essential based on comments above.

14. Plymouth. Bloody hell, another Islands era disc. Probably the bottom of the list.

16. Berkeley. Infamously unavailable. I would really like a copy of this but have tried in vain to acquire. If RF leaves me with one gap in my Country Club collection I shall have to visit Dorset and torch his wee pad. :wink:

Favourite KCCC releases for me are;

7. Roar of P4. This got me hooked on the frakctalised period. Classic renditions of HC and Projekction.

11. Moles Club. Unique. Fresh, raw and exciting. What happened to this band? Why did it become KC and end up releasing TOAPP?

15. Mainz. The top release for me. Tight and bright. The improvs don't fanny about and the songs are top notch. Dr Diamond, Starless and Trio stand out. IMHO all of the Club releases of the Larks band are preferable to TGD, a box set which just hasn't clicked with me.

22. P1 Jazz Cafe Suite. Priceless, if only for the picture of RF on the front! Musically though it knocks the Box Set offering into a cocked hat. P1 will always be the big "what if?" of Crimson history.

26. Philadelphia. 15 months on from Moles. A very different band but they don't sound bored just yet! Absent Lovers is the only non-Club live set that I don't have now, so this gets a lot of play.
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to KCCC