free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and why?

Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and why?

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

Which KCCC titles have you deliberately passed on and why?

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:56 pm

I know there are a lot of completists here, but not everyone is. I'm wondering which KCCC selections other members have purposedly declined to purchase and their reasons for not wanting them (rather than ones you may have just skipped over for the time being, but intend to buy later). Here are the ones I have not bought and am not likely to. If anyone can tell me something good about them that has not occured to me I could well reconsider. (Note: as I mentioned in another thread, the last one I bought was #26, but so far, 27-30 all appeal to me and I have just not got around to buying them yet and not enough is known about #31 for me to make a call either way).

#5/6 On Broadway. When I joined the club VROOOM VROOOM was already available and I saw no need to have both due to the amount of overlap. In fact, if you count up the tracks, Disc 2 of VV has more than half of Club 5/6. Plus VV costs less than Club 5/6. And I was not in on the Mexico City download so I didn't already have that. So once I bought VV, no way was I going to spend $32 for the other 6 or 7 tracks from On Broadway that aren't on VV.

#11 Moles Club. I suppose I've been reluctant to approach it from what I've heard about the sound quality. Ironic since I actually listen to Marquee, Hyde Park, and Zoom Club. But if this sounds anything like the bootleg Indisciple Mining Rocks, I don't think I need it.

#17 ProjeKct Two Northhampton. Not that I don't like P2, but it's been said that there is quite a lot of overlap with Live Groove. Is there a breakdown anywhere of which tracks are redundant?

#25 Filmore East. I have all 4 Epitaph discs. I just can't bring myself to spend the money for this one. Two short, identical playlists, from two consecutive nights, one of which I already have (except the "Court" fragment). There would have to be something very extraordinary about the November 22 show for me to buy this at this stage, but I doubt there is much difference.

I had held off on #4 Cap d'Agde until only about a year ago. I guess was holding out for the re-release of #16, figuring I wouldn't have to buy this, but I'm glad I finally did. The Sheltering Sky and Waiting Man are awesome. Well worth it.
Last edited by MiKcrobe on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby GrassySound on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:57 pm

I'm a completist. I feel compelled to have every one that is released, even those that seldom get repeat listens. I'm glad shows are still being released, but one request I have is for the '96 era to be released; specifically the double-trio versions of Waiting Man and The Sheltering Sky. I saw the very last show of this lineup (Philadelphia), and those two tunes were really extraordinary. They deserve representation from the KCCC, and hopefully they will in due course.
"Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm." - Frank Zappa
GrassySound
ProjeKction Fan

Postby vrooom on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:59 pm

I'm not proud of it, but I've got them all. There have been times when I've not fancied a release, but I put it off and wait for another tasty to come along and buy them both to save on the shipping.

I know, I know, I know...my reputation is already ruined as it is...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Owen on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:26 pm

I was far too financially challenged (read: unemployed) to join the club when it was launched, and by the time I did have the income to be able to join I'd missed around 15 releases, and couldn't see the point of joining until I had picked up the back catalogue... then the rules changed. Since then I've only actually picked up around 20 of the releases when I've been able to get them cheap (second hand) elsewhere. I know, I should be buying from DGM, but their shipping rates down here are even worse than for the UK.

I've stopped buying them for now, due to a new budgeting regime, but I'll eventually get them all.

In fact there's only one KC release I'll probably never buy: Ladies Of The Road. I have no desire for an extended schizoid jam, and all the other tracks are/will be on other releases anyway.

My two cents,
O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Fred Zappelin on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:23 am

I have them all too, only one I'd say I really didn't need(see below). Started picking them up a few at a time after the membership ceased.

Of the releases you mentioned:

5/6 On Broadway: Yeah, it's pricey at $28, but worth it if you ask me. The cool thing besides the music about Club CDs 1 through 8 is the extensive Fripp diaries/journals of the day, all the interesting band/music/label talk. My disc 2 of VV skipped bad anyway(found used), so figured what the hell, why not get the longer set. If #31 is a double, let's hope it's no more than $17.99

11 Moles: Sound quality aside, this is an awesome show. It's not a perfect performance, but great to hear these songs done so raw and new, plus in a small setting. I'd give it a star or two better than #1-Marquee in sound quality.

17. P2 Northhampton. Hard to tell what from here was on Live Groove also, since there's no info on where the box set tracks are from. I enjoy this Club CD, but if you put me to the test in comparing identical tracks from both discs, it would be hard. Bogus that they didn't include the Schizoid "house" encore on this too.

25. Fillmore. This is probably my least favorite purchase, due to the reasons mentioned. It's cool to carry along in the car though, without having to bust open the box set. I guess that's why you can burn CDs. Only noticable difference is the solos. Second night seems a little more smokin'. Only other show of this band I'd pay for is the Chicago- Kinetic Playground, if it ever resurfaces(unlikely).

4. CapD'Agde. This was my first buy, and still one of my favorites. Still waiting for Berkeley :P , which I've never heard. It'll probably be the first download (as rumored), and that's where I'll draw the line. As long as I have money, I'll keep buying Club CDs. Downloads, no. Part of what makes the Club CDs so cool is the liner notes and photos.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Dog_none on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:01 am

I have them all, except the last one which is now out of stock. I guess that's what I get for waiting.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:31 pm

I have everything since Bruford makes his appearance. I believe my distaste for the prior incarnations has been made manifest.

I was on the opposite side of the VV/Broadway situation. When VV came out, I already had OB and MC. But I bought it anyway, as the Mexico City drums got distorted and hollowed out by the WMA compression.

My only complaint about OB is that it's a compilation rather than a straight, Clams Crimsonesque and All single performance. But the Quadruple Octet was at their fullest flight in November '95 and OB is a worthy addition to the canon.

On Broadway: More Filling! Sounds Great!!!
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby MiKcrobe on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:20 pm

GrassySound wrote:one request I have is for the '96 era to be released; specifically the double-trio versions of Waiting Man and The Sheltering Sky. I saw the very last show of this lineup (Philadelphia), and those two tunes were really extraordinary. They deserve representation from the KCCC, and hopefully they will in due course.

Whoa. It never occured to me that the Double Trio did those two songs. You're right. That's something they need to release pronto. Let's hope they turn up on the upcoming Club31!
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Riverman on Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:33 pm

Lots.

I don't have any KCCC from the '69 group, although I might pop for one if I want to check out the non-album songs like "Drop In" or "Trees" (no interest in the full Epitaph set). That group is still my least favorite, although I've begun to realize their power as an onstage beast now that I've gotten to hear a live track or two.

Summit Studios is a great disc, but I doubt I want anything else from the Islands band, especially since (I think) every other one has the VCS3. What I've got is enough.

Absent Lovers would seem to make almost anything from the 80s group redundant, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Again, one would probably be plenty if I want more (probably Philly '82).

On Broadway seems redundant on top of Vrooom x2, especially at a whopping $30. Ditto Warsaw '00; it looks nice but I've got every other scrap of Double Duo material out there, so I've got three or four or six versions of everything. I might want to hear every "Thrush" possible, but I ain't buying two discs just for that.

Of course though, I'll still devour any Wetton-era disc or ProjeKct offering they put out (especially the P3 '03 gig, hint hint). Bring em on.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:14 pm

Like Fred I started buying them when they ceased membership, having bought all of them.

Unfortunately I don't have Vrooom Vrooom yet, probably because I have On Broadway and haven't found it at a bargain price. But I will...

Mike, from your list I wouldn't miss Club4 - Cape d'Agde, 1982 and Club 11 - Moles, 1981.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to KCCC