free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC 26 - Live in Philadelphia 1982

KCCC 26 - Live in Philadelphia 1982

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

KCCC 26 - Live in Philadelphia 1982

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:16 pm

Your thoughts about this album to be posted here - so feel free to talk about your first listen, what you like about this album, what you don't like, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:44 pm

I hate this CD because IT'S NOT HERE YET!!!!!!!!!!
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:48 pm

The Crimson Avenger wrote:I hate this CD because IT'S NOT HERE YET!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah - waiting for stuff sucks. :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Sebastian Knight on Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:58 am

Well, at least we have a track listing:
1. Thela Hun Ginjeet
2. Red
3. The Howler
4. Frame By Frame
5. Matte Kudasai
6. The Sheltering Sky
7. Discipline
8. Elephant Talk
9. Indiscipline
10. Neurotica
11. Heartbeat
12. Sartori in Tangier
13. Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part II
Sebastian Knight

Postby vrooom on Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:08 am

Looks like it is going to be a good one. Well, at least it is something a BIT different. Kinda got tired of the 1969/71/72/74 stuff. More ProjeKcts releases (except P2, of course)! :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Sebastian Knight on Fri May 28, 2004 9:49 pm

Pre-Order Away!
Sebastian Knight

Postby vrooom on Fri May 28, 2004 11:25 pm

Sebastian Knight wrote:Pre-Order Away!

About bloody time...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Sun May 30, 2004 8:46 pm

Sebastian Knight wrote:Pre-Order Away!

Aye aye, Cap'm!
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:07 pm

There are now sound samples up on the KCCC site. Not sure if it
an audience or board recording, but it sounds rather muffled to my ears. I think DGMs four star rating is rather generous.

I'm a little disappointed, I think I prefer the audience reocrding of the 8/11 LA show.

Nonetheless, I still look forward to its arrival chez Avenger.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby Sebastian Knight on Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:04 pm

Track Listings/Timings:
Thela Hun Ginjeet [7:14], Red [5:56], The Howler [4:45], Frame by Frame [4:55], Matte Kudesai [3:40], The Sheltering Sky [9:28], Discipline [5:22], Elephant Talk [5:07], Indiscipline [11:12], Neurotica [6:29], Heartbeat [4:18], Satori in Tangier [4:20], Larks' Tongues in Apsic Part II [6:43]

I'll save you the trouble of adding up the times. It's about 79 minutes, so that's a single well-stuffed CD. Audio quality isn't perfect, but it's about as good as we've got for Live 80's Crim: slight distortion that might or might not have been part of the original live sound, slightly muffled high end, but everything comes through pretty cleanly. No audience noise to speak of.

The band is in pretty good form throughout, and although Sid Smith's notes single out Ade as MVP, I'd actually say things are pretty evenly spread out. For me, the high points are unlikely tunes: "The Howler", rarely heard live and much better than on the LP; "The Sheltering Sky", which is also something of a live rarity and features some great work by Robert; "Heartbeat", which I normally think of as pretty disposable but which comes through very well here; and "Sartori in Tangier", which is frankly amazing. "Sartori" is used in the manner of "The Talking Drum" to set up "Larks II", which itself receives a really energetic and powerful reading. My only complaint on "Red" and "Larks II" in fact is that I wish that somebody had hidden the flanger before the concert, as I find the sound it produces rather dated. "Red" is, if anything, owned by the rhythm section, which makes it an interesting reading.

On "Thela", "Indiscipline" and "Neurotica", Adrian is relatively loose with the lyrics of the spoken portions. Some of the storytelling gets lost on "Thela", but musically it's a funky and tight rendition. "Indiscipline" has the extended percussion introduction, and features some nice telepathy between the players on the tempo changes. It's not better than such competing versions as the one on "Absent Lovers", but it's a strong version. "Neurotica" is always a good track live.

Over all, this is a very valuable release. "Absent Lovers" is still the primary recommendation for live 80's Crim, but this is the strongest of the Club releases by this line-up. Caution: listening to "Sartori" will get you drooling with anticipation for new recordings with Tony.
Sebastian Knight

Next

Return to KCCC