free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC 16 - Live in Berkeley 1982

KCCC 16 - Live in Berkeley 1982

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

KCCC 16 - Live in Berkeley 1982

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:10 pm

Your thoughts about this album to be posted here - so feel free to talk about your first listen, what you like about this album, what you don't like, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby RYG on Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:36 pm

Anyone else get the feeling that this will be the first KCCC (the re-mastered version of it, that is) that will be available for download whenever DGM gets that part of their WEB-site up and running ?

I have a funny feeling that it will be so. We've waited so long for this (to be remastered) and I'm sure DGM doesn't want to pay the shipping to send this one out again at their cost (since this will be free to the vast majority of the recipients). This release will make for a good guinea pig to see how their download service will work because anyone who is set to get this one free will want to do so, because it is free.

If this direction (making it downloadable) is taken on this one, I'm sure I would rather prefer that it be sent out as normal but if this is the only way we can get it then so be it.

I know this is a lot of conjecture but we have heard NOTHING new about this remaster since April 2002. I think we waited less time for KCCC12's (Hyde Park '69) issues to be worked out and made available to us.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby diderot on Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:23 pm

I would like to say anyrhing else about this release, except that I want to buy it... :cry:
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:43 pm

The remastered version...that brings back memories! :D

I didn't really have a problem with the original release of this - I think I need my ears syringed. I suppose with the right sound editing software, you could rip this CD and do the pitch correction yourself.

If anyone can tell me what speed this recording should be at, I would be willing to have a crack at that (but I've never remastered anything like that in my life before so it should be a challenge).

So what exactly was the problem with this release - for us cloth-eared folks?

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby RYG on Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:31 pm

It seems so long ago that the issues were first discussed (I believe back in mid-2001) that I can't remember any details except the generality that there were pitch issues.

I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it but once DGM put forth the proclamation that they would be re-mastering it AND sending it out (to those that qualified for it) for FREE, well I just wanted to have it. I mean, you can't unring the bell.

I know that in DGM's announcement (which is still posted so, you would think, that they haven't abandoned the idea of doing the re-mastering) they kept time frames quite vague as to when it would be done and sent out but, c'mon, two years is a pretty long time. I can't imagine that the re-mastering would be that big of a deal to do (but what do I know) since they have the original tapes. I'm just guessing that they're balking at the notion of spending all the postage, re-packaging, re-printing, etc fees necesaary to send this one out for free.

This is why I am posing the idea that they are waiting to use this one as the "model" for the download feature that they will eventually have in place (yet another proposal that has been out there for some time now).

Well, if nothing else, KCCC26 will supplant the need for this just fine, for now.
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby aspic tongue on Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:11 pm

Darren-the first time I listened to this relaese I knew it was totally off pitchwise.I remember getting my guitar and tried playing along with Waiting Man when the stick and guitar comes in and the recording is VERY sharp (like a half semitone).I emailed DGM and never got a response which is a drag because I find this cd completely unlistenable.I always wondered if some of the cd's are ok because to me it was so obvious and others say they don't notice. I think if you used software to correct the pitch it would have other undesirable effects on the sound.Anyway I defintitely feel DGM owes me a corrected cd but I stopped holding my breath a long time ago!
aspic tongue
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby Indyrod on Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:18 pm

aspic tongue wrote:Anyway I defintitely feel DGM owes me a corrected cd but I stopped holding my breath a long time ago!

And the operative word there was "CD". Not everybody has access to high-speed connections, so this downloading shit is a little unfair and down right annoying.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby aspic tongue on Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:17 pm

Exactly-I paid my money for the cd not a download!
aspic tongue
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby RYG on Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:47 pm

aspic tongue wrote:

That's my preference too.

Hopefully, with my comments above, I'm not starting any rumors here because I'm just conjecturing.

A CD would be preferential to me as well and I do hope that even if DGM does go to a download method that there will still be an option to purchase all future KCCC releases on an actual pre-formatted CD (with all of the usual graphics, etc.), even if we still have to pay the $14 price (assuming that the downloads will be cheaper) or more (if DGM cites that since there will be fewer people needing the actual CD that the "per CD" costs will increase).

I too have zero experience with downloads and I just don't trust the ways of doing it enough to be able to get the quality I would get from a finished CD being sent to me. Plus, getting the cover/insert right would be a challenge unto itself as the quality you would get would be greatly dependant upon the printer you have.

All I was saying is if I were DGM, to save costs and to "test" out the new dowloading service that this one would probably be a good one to use for a "test" since it is a "prior release" that a relatively large audience would have an interest in. This way they would avoid having to do a "test" on a new release wherein if the system doesn't work the way they expect then there will be less overall frustration (since the re-master of this release already has people frustrated). Hopefully I'm making sense.
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Fred Zappelin on Sun May 02, 2004 5:57 pm

RYG wrote:aspic tongue wrote:

That's my preference too.

Hopefully, with my comments above, I'm not starting any rumors here because I'm just conjecturing.

If what you're saying is true, it would make sense to either offer the download to the original members who have the old CD, or to have the choice of getting the new CD shipped in a blank sleeve. Everyone who has the original already has the sleeve/artwork, right? I'm hoping #16 is available to buy (just like the rest of them) for people like me who were never club members.

As far as DGM and the cost of shipping to those who qualify for a free copy; DGM won't lose out, they make money off of shipping alone. They use USPS just like everyone else. 4 CDs from CD Universe costs me about $4-5. The last 4 Club CDs I bought cost around $8 to ship, even though the actual cost on the package showed $3 and some change. I guess it's worth it for the Club CDs. With the shipping that high, the CC's and other exclusive items are all I buy there.
I'll definitely be getting #26, and glad to see #27 will be P3 in Austin. I read somewhere that the full '00 Shephard's Bush London gig was coming soon as a double set. I don't know if I'd bother with that since disc 2 of the EWO DVD covers that.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Next

Return to KCCC