free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC 8 - The VROOOM Sessions 1994

KCCC 8 - The VROOOM Sessions 1994

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

KCCC 8 - The VROOOM Sessions 1994

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:06 pm

Your thoughts about this album to be posted here - so feel free to talk about your first listen, what you like about this album, what you don't like, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Gilesfan on Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:58 am

This is one of my favorites in the KCCC.

Mainly because it shows the Double Trio at its beginning and the band is so full of ideas and enthusiasm. There is alot of improv and experimenting going on.

What is also great is hearing what would later become tracks on Vrooom and on Thrak.

For some reason (maybe because I heard it first on A Beginners' Guide To The King Crimson Collector's Club ), "Funky Jam" really sticks out. It just rocks! "Calliope" is another great one as well.

The studio chatter is great and gives one the feeling of a peek at what went on during these sessions. :lol:

For anyone who likes the Double Trio, this is a must! :D
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:01 pm

Also this:

diderot wrote:Listening to VROOOM Sessions while coming to work, there's almost nothing near to the Vrooom EP. This disappointed me.

I hadn't read anything from this release, so I thought the relation VROOOM Sessions/VROOOM EP would be similar to Champaign-Urbana Sessions/Three of a Perfect Pair, but it isn't.

Strangely VROOOM Sessions is very far from VROOOM EP, except for One Time and Sex Sleep... sketches (with an outstanding bluesy section in the second), that led to songs more pop-oriented. Another exception is Monster Jam as a B'Boom's draft. In fact I can see echoes of Bowie (track 2), Talking Heads and Yes.

I would say it's closer to Champaign-Urbana than the VROOOM EP, :shock: or it was the very beginning warm up.
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby The Crimson Fox on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:09 am

Currently concerntrating my King Crimson focus on the double trio formation and decided to give this a listen tonight on my Sennheiser HD650's...anyone else got these beauties? The sound quality is superb!!

I think this is one of my favourite collectors club CD's. It's such an interesting listen. A much fuller and bass heavy sound than the Vrooom E.P.

Standout tracks for me are:

Fashionable - later became part of Writing on the wall from Side One by Adrian

Monster Jam - A superb slow build to a mass of thundering noise... See 'when I say stop continue for' details.

Krim 3 - This became the track 'I remember how to forget' from AB's album Op Zop Too Wah

No Questions Asked - obviously... Sex, Sleep, Eat, Drink, Dream in earlier form.

Calliope - Has this track been released before? I seem to remember a track on Al Di Meola's album - Scenario... Is it the same one?

And now to... Club 13 - King Crimson Nashville Rehearsals May 1997 another favourite club release of mine!!
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby Gilesfan on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:46 am

The Crimson Fox wrote:I think this is one of my favourite collectors club CD's. It's such an interesting listen. A much fuller and bass heavy sound than the Vrooom E.P.

Standout tracks for me are:

Fashionable - later became part of Writing on the wall from Side One by Adrian

Monster Jam - A superb slow build to a mass of thundering noise... See 'when I say stop continue for' details.

Krim 3 - This became the track 'I remember how to forget' from AB's album Op Zop Too Wah

No Questions Asked - obviously... Sex, Sleep, Eat, Drink, Dream in earlier form.

Calliope - Has this track been released before? I seem to remember a track on Al Di Meola's album - Scenario... Is it the same one?

It is one of my favorite King Crimson albums period.

What I love about it is its the freshness of the band. The band are still checking each other out and everything is left in. I can easily listen to this one over and over. Well, I could until Katrina washed it away. :cry:

Anyway, it shows what would become of the Double Trio and the potential it had. I wish there were more releases like this one of them in rehearsal, jamming and writing.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:18 am

I'm enjoying this one more as it grows on me, although it still doesn't measure up to the subsequent recordings. True, the abandon and energy are quite compelling, but I generally think it's better when those are carried off with just enough focus and deliberation too.

Nonetheless, a significant step in evaluating the Double Trio in general...
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to KCCC