free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC 3 - Live at the Beat Club, Bremen 1972

KCCC 3 - Live at the Beat Club, Bremen 1972

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

KCCC 3 - Live at the Beat Club, Bremen 1972

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:03 pm

Your thoughts about this album to be posted here - so feel free to talk about your first listen, what you like about this album, what you don't like, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Fred Zappelin on Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:03 pm

Great disc, even with it's mono sound. The improv is the best of course. Does anyone know the story on the video of this? I'd love to see Jaime Muir thrashing around like a maniac, and Fripp shredding away. I thought I read something where Fripp said the video of it was in bad shape. If it's that poor, they could at least put it on the upcoming "new" website to view.

Somewhere there must be a good copy or master of it. There's a Zappa Beat Club performance from '68 which is decent enough to someday be released, and the Sabbath one from '70 that's out is nice.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Liff on Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:43 pm

Fred Zappelin wrote:Great disc, even with it's mono sound. The improv is the best of course. Does anyone know the story on the video of this? I'd love to see Jaime Muir thrashing around like a maniac, and Fripp shredding away. I thought I read something where Fripp said the video of it was in bad shape. If it's that poor, they could at least put it on the upcoming "new" website to view.

I'm pretty sure the whole gig doesn't exist on video, but the Larks' Tongues in Aspic part has been released on DVD. The footage is marred by very badly executed color effects, of which you can get a sample by watching the top 10 prog bands clip that Darren has put on ProjeKction TV. A regrettably low quality MPEG version of the same footage has been circulating on the web, and I'd bet Darren has this somewhere in his files, if not the DVD. ;)

Despite the reservations, the clip is a fascinating sight for a couple of views, especially seeing Muir with his percussion allsorts (although in a relatively calm mood - no chain flailing or blood capsules). One also takes note of how much less refined Fripp's technique seems than from the '80s onwards - he's clearly just getting the hang of the complete change in his right hand picking style. Since I first read the Guitar Player interview of 1974 (http://www.elephant-talk.com/intervws/fripp-gp.htm) I've been wondering how does a professional, touring musician manage such a radical change of technique without a longer pause in performing.

.Liff
Liff
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby Sebastian Knight on Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:38 pm

I seem to be in the minority in that I find this album very disappointing. The improv just doesn't do it for me, and I'm somebody who tends to particularly like improvs from the Larks' era. I much prefer Guildford's improv, and Guildford also features a heck of a Larks I. I also prefer the Zoom Club release.
Sebastian Knight

Postby vrooom on Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:16 pm

Liff wrote:
Fred Zappelin wrote:I'm pretty sure the whole gig doesn't exist on video, but the Larks' Tongues in Aspic part has been released on DVD. The footage is marred by very badly executed color effects, of which you can get a sample by watching the top 10 prog bands clip that Darren has put on ProjeKction TV. A regrettably low quality MPEG version of the same footage has been circulating on the web, and I'd bet Darren has this somewhere in his files, if not the DVD. ;)

Yup - I do own the Beat Club DVD featuring that clip and yes I will be putting up sometime soon. I like to pace myself and I don't want to spoil you guys with too many goodies at once! :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Re: KCCC 3 - Live at the Beat Club, Bremen 1972

Postby bongo on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:59 am

so, did they ever release any audio from the beat club?

(just kidding).
"get along little doggy."
bongo
ProjeKction Champion

Postby vrooom on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:18 pm

You are a wag...
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Whiskey Vengeance on Sat May 28, 2011 10:11 am

I got this one for Christmas this year and put it on the shelf after a week. What was I thinking? This baby smokes.

A tentative Larks 1 and an almost-sloppy reading of Exiles (complete with out-of-tune mellotrons) provide an interesting glimpse into the development of the arrangements, but - surprise surprise - the 30-minute improv is the star of the show. Later incarnations of this band constructed dark, imposing monoliths when they improvised, but this stuff is much more groove-based and uptempo - almost like a demonic Mahavishnu with liberal doses of dissonance and errant percussion. Makes me think of a paint-spattered canvas. It's not as uncannily "pre-written"-sounding as the 73-74 stuff, but it has an exploratory, anything-can-happen edge and moves effortlessly between seemingly unconnected moods, themes and tempos. It took some time, but by God was it worth it.

My appetite is definitely whet for more Muir era stuff, an area of Crimsonising I have sadly neglected. I have also been revisiting the Hull 1972 show, which I downloaded around the same time, and will be sharing my thoughts on that shortly in the appropriate thread.
Whiskey Vengeance
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Geno on Sat May 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Whiskey Vengeance wrote:This baby smokes. ... My appetite is definitely whet for more Muir era stuff

I was pretty stoked by this disc too, since it was the first Larks'-era Club CD I bought. Honestly though, as great as it is, after more exploration I found it's still been outdone elsewhere. I'd suggest Guildford next - the sound quality isn't as good, but you can tell it was played for a live audience rather than a few TV cameras.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Return to KCCC