free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Champaign Urbana Sessions 1983

Champaign Urbana Sessions 1983

Do you buy the King Crimson Collector's Club releases? Share your thoughts on them here.

Champaign Urbana Sessions 1983

Postby EruditeMan on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 am

A full albums worth of the 80s band between Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair. Never heard this before, but this stuff is amazing. Top-notch new wave Crimson. What are your thoughts on this?
EruditeMan
ProjeKction Fan

Re: Champaign Urbana Sessions 1983

Postby Krimzep on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm

I have been listening to that stuff for years, To me Kc rehearsals are well worth having. The Steinberger Melody is my fav bit. Bills electronic drums date this stuff big time, good stuff though Roberts Ballad is pretty cool too.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:36 pm

I always love the studio outtakes and it was a great shame more of this stuff wasn't released under the KCCC banner. But there you go...here have some more scuzzy recordings of the 1971 band performing The Sailor's Tale... ;-)
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dinsdale on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 am

I have only recently acquired the Champaign Urbana Sessions (through a DGMLive download, of course) and was suprised to find that it sounded like crap. I had to turn it off after two tunes. We all know that who is in the room can determine one's sensitivity to music, and this may be the case with my listening incident. I will certainly give it another try.

I know that I am hoping against all hope, but in my dreams, there will be something on the Cham-Ur Sessions similar to a 1981-82 track I have heard no-where else but on Indiscipline Mining Rocks. This was a great bootleg from the early 1980's that began each side with the KC performance from the "Fridays" television show. I have been looking for another recording of the non-TV material that is on that bootleg for years. Side one, as I remember, ended with a stunning version of The Sheltering Sky. Side two, I think was the very short Thela Hun Gingeet from ABC TV, followed by the un-released the Howler (?), then the mysterious track. As I remember, the last _tune_ on side two was LTIAII. The penultimate portion was an interview with Fripp comparing hearing to a Hershey bar, versus active listening, which, as everyone knows, is like French Confection. These interview comments were followed by Mr. F telling a crowd in Texas that rather than the band play louder, perhaps the audience would care to listen more attentively.

I am sorry if this is off topic for Champagne-Urbana, which I can only imagine has some moments, but _please,_ as a newbie to this site, I saw that Mikrobe had mentioned this bootleg, and this one mention from 2005 is the only place I have ever heard anyone bring up the mysterious recording. Of course there is nothing on DGMLive about it. So if anyone can give me any guidence, it would be greatly appreciated.

PS, has anyone ever brought up for discussion how elements of "media" that we remember seem to fall into black holes, never to be heard from again?
Dinsdale
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Krimzep on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Hello Dinsdale

While I wouldn't say that he sound on Champaign Urbana was pristine but for outtakes they sound pretty good overall.

There's a few good ideas that could have been put together and fleshed out into decent tunes

San Francisco
Steiberger Melody

I have the Boot you mentioned, According to the notes that came with the boot, the unknown piece stayed that way and was never released.

Some bits of guitar seem familiar but not really sure what tune it would have ended up as.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:35 am

Hey Dinsdale I am so glad you mentioned this show ! I haven't heard it in years and as soon as I started listening to the improve I was brought right back to when I first heard it. Stuff like this is why I got into this band. I started digging.

I have a only a few shows from 82 . On feb 22 they play some of the same theme as an opening bit for Three of a perfect pair, On Feb 25th they open the show with it the crowd loves it and applauds loudly when they kick in.

The track is listed in the notes as werning twerning. don't know how or why its named that but its not from being mentioned by Belew.

Ahh the old days :cry:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dinsdale on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Lemme get this straight, Krimzep. You have more than one recording date of the mysterious tune that appears on side two of Indiscipline Mining Rocks? From February 1982?

And what is this about Three of a Perfect Pair being played in conjunction with this mysterious tune?
I have a only a few shows from 82 . On feb 22 they play some of the same theme as an opening bit for Three of a perfect pair, On Feb 25th they open the show with it the crowd loves it and applauds loudly when they kick in.
Wow! Very interesting!

As a newbie to this site, I know nothing about protocols/rules you folks may have about sharing questionable items. But I would love to hear this stuff... I would jump for joy at getting a new copy of Indiscipline Mining Rocks. The only copy I have is a cassette recording made in 1984 (on a TDK D-90) of the record. Talk about lo-fi, wow & flutter...

And does anyone know why DGM has never released any of this stuff? As you say, bits like the Indiscipline Mining Rocks Bootleg are part of the reason I became such a KC fan in the first place. But, as someone mentioned elsewhere, we get too many recordings from 1971 with ultra low fidelity and scat singing...

I realize this is probably the wrong message board, but I am very new to computers and (gulp) sharing with people in the ether-world. But does anyone know where one can find copies of Musician Magazine from 1981? Specifically, I would love to re-read the Fripp Diaries about Discipline turning into King Crimson. The closest repository in which I have been able to find print versions wants a $200 deposit for using their library materials. Has anyone seen these articles on the web? I know that ETWiki does not have these articles listed in their Archive. Again, any has any reason ever been expressed why DGM does not include older diary entries of Mr Fripp? I remember there being other print versions of his diaries/writings that he has made available in the past, primarily through magazine format. Any ideas/insights? Any thoughts on telling me where to go (i.e. which message board I should be posting this on)? Or, of course, thoughts on just telling me where to go... then again, perhaps I have been told enough in the past.

Help!
Dinsdale
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Return to KCCC