free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Favorite live KC improv or jams

Favorite live KC improv or jams

Can you remember your first KC gig or even your last KC gig? We want to hear up those memories here.

Favorite live KC improv or jams

Postby EruditeMan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 am

I'm relatively new to King Crimson, I listened through every studio album and now a good deal of the live stuff. The Great Deceiver box set might be my favorite so far, and my other favorite bands include Grateful Dead and Phish... I love live jamming and improv performances.

Bartley Butsford, Golden Walnut, and Ashbury Park are my favorites so far. Any suggestions?
EruditeMan
ProjeKction Fan

Re: Favorite live KC improv or jams

Postby Geno on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 pm

"Is There Life Out There?" is probably my favorite from the TGD box (or more likely tied with "Golden Walnut"). They're both pretty impressive in how they sustain themselves for those 11-14 minutes and make an effective overall structure through that time. "Asbury Park" is pretty nice too, but falters somewhat in the second half.

It's a matter of personal taste of course, but improv-wise I love the ProjeKct phase and the early Double Trio ('00-'01) just a little more than the Larks' group. If you haven't gotten to Heavy ConstruKction yet, there's a real treat waiting. It's hard to really compare or rank anything in that phase.... all I've noticed is that my affection for those various recordings tend to correlate with how prominent Pat is.

Can't forget "Deception of the Thrush" either. It was developed more into a form than an improv after a while, but some of those later renditions (throughout 2003) are exquisite.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby EruditeMan on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:57 am

I did buy that Heavy Construkction, have not checked it out yet.. can't wait!

The KCCC 36 Live in Kassel 1974 has some great moments of improv too. Improv I. before Dr. Diamond is intense, great introduction to Dr. Diamond. Why didn't this song appear on Starless?

Improv II is chaotic and interesting.

Improv III is beautiful mellow guitar violin interplay.
EruditeMan
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Krimzep on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm

EruditeMan wrote:I did buy that Heavy Construkction, have not checked it out yet.. can't wait!

The KCCC 36 Live in Kassel 1974 has some great moments of improv too. Improv I. before Dr. Diamond is intense, great introduction to Dr. Diamond. Why didn't this song appear on Starless?

Improv II is chaotic and interesting.

Improv III is beautiful mellow guitar violin interplay.

The best thing about HC are the improvs and the overall sound quality. One of the best Kc releases in my book.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby EruditeMan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Anyone know where the full improv is that The Mincer was taken from? And were the lyrics added later or did it just occur live
EruditeMan
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Geno on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:49 pm

It was from Zurich in late '73 (one of the later Club releases). The words were added later.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Return to Live